What's new

Need to upgrade GS108Tv2 for more ports - GSS116E or Zyxel, or?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nikleb

Regular Contributor
I have currently a Netgear GS108Tv2 switch plugged into my Zyxel USG40 router an running out of ports. Even with using the ports on the Zyxel.

The next step up from 8 port is typically 16 ports. I am liking the mounting idea of the Netgear GSS116E.
I don't really have a POE need. Having at least a port or two with POE for future expansion woudl have been nice.
I am assuming the GSS116E woudl be performing equal or better than the GS108Tv2?

Also, wondering if there is any advantage in getting a Zyxel Switch with a Zyxel USG appliance?

they're both good brands, you may get a better switch with zyxel but the with the netgear the prosafe usually is a good line with a couple of minor firmware issues. Make sure to pick a good prosafe line rather than the lowest end. For instance my old prosafe is a GS724T which by the model number is a GS7.
the USG appliance has a limited CPU so depending on your WAN/ filtered LAN speeds you want the USG may slow you down, you will have to check first before you buy.

A basic dumb switch should be fine to provide network access throughout the house unless you plan on using more advanced networking technologies (like using VLANs, QoS, layer 3 switching, etc). DGS-1016D 16-port Gigabit unmanaged desktop switch can be an upgraded for more ports.

As you mentioned, for future expansion, you can consider PoE-capacity switch, like TP-Link TL-SG1016PE 16-port Gigabit easy smart PoE switch with 8-port PoE+.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!