What's new

Need Wireless Router - range is #1 priority

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snsd

New Around Here
I have an ASUS RT-N13U that just died and I replaced it with an RT-N56U.

I'm not getting as strong a signal with the RT-56U. The only thing we use our router for is to connect to the internet so speed is really a non-issue for us. (Our speed is 30Mbps so having a 300Mbps router isn't important...) What I need is range.

We have a 2,500 square foot house but there seems to be a couple of relatively dead spots.

Looking for a recommendation of a router with excellent range. Hoping not to spend more than $100. I need a guest SSID if it's not DD-WRT compatible. Any help is sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited:
I echo the above... There is NO magic in getting more range in WiFi with brand A vs. brand B. The laws of physics prevail and all the routers have the same receiver sensitivity and transmitter power, give or take a tiny amount.

Weak signal areas, if not corrected by repositioning the WiFi router, are cured only by adding an Access Point (AP). These can be a $40 AP/Router/Bridge (modes) like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0168&cm_re=asus_rt-n12-_-33-320-168-_-Product
which I own and am pleased with, or others.
Connect AP to router via
  • cat5 cable
  • HomePlug/HPNA (see forum here)
  • MoCA (see forum here)

Adding a different omni-directionaal antenna (e.g., going from stock 2dBi to 6dBi) won't significantly improve range.

Second the recommendation for an RT-N66U. I was also very disappointed with the RT-N56U, it just wasn't useful as a whole house router. My personal preference, if I can manage it, is to use one router for my whole house. While I have used AP's from time to time, I prefer the simplicity, both for ease of administration and having only one piece of hardware to be concerned with, of using only one wireless router for my house. I moved up to the RT-N66U after the RT-N56U failed to meet my needs, and the RT-N66U wireless does cover my whole house on both 2.4GHz. and 5GHz. bands.

Right now, I find that both the Netgear R7000 and Asus RT-AC68P do the same, and have a little stronger wireless as well as supporting wireless-AC. But my point here is that the RT-N66U worked great for me for a couple of years.

Like Roger said, if you're looking for that little bit of extra range, either the Netgear R7000 or Asus AC68 is the safest bet.

Is your house a single story? If so, Asus N66u is probably your best bet, then swap on some 7, 8 or 9dBi omni antennas for even greater increased range (only do this is your house is single story, as it'll reduce veritcal coverage by having the higher gain antennas, but it'll increase horizontal converage). Don't expect a miracle though, but it should help out.

Is your house a single story? If so, Asus N66u is probably your best bet, then swap on some 7, 8 or 9dBi omni antennas for even greater increased range (only do this is your house is single story, as it'll reduce veritcal coverage by having the higher gain antennas, but it'll increase horizontal converage). Don't expect a miracle though, but it should help out.

Personally, haven't had a good experience with buying external antennas. If you could list some antenna products that are on the market and that really show that gain for you, that would be helpful. I've tried some, and they have never been better than the antennas that come with the router that are tuned by the manufacturer.

That's right... going from an external antenna (stock) that's 2 or 3dBi to an after-market one claiming (omni) 5-8dBi too little increase. Weak signals in parts of the house are 10's of dB shortfall. So going up by 3, 4 dB is a nit.

Adding an Access Point is the cure for better coverage, esp. for the low-powered handhelds with impaired internal antennas (WiFi is two-way, and the client-to-access point/Router is usually the constraint.)

I'm with Tim Higgins on this one, and I'd also recommend an AC router over an N router. I would go with the Asus RT-AC66U as my first choice of an AC router at a reasonable price with excellent range.

And if distance is really a problem, as Tim also suggested, get an extender/repeater. This is exactly what I've done, and I use a second AC66U as a repeater, and works great. Excellent range, great speeds and throughput, no lagging, no signal drops, always consistently good, and no long cable runs. Both the router and repeater are rock-solid. Never any unintended reboots. I use Merlin's 374.38 FW on the router, and 374.41 on the repeater. Or you can use John's "Fork" of Merlin's 374.xx FW...either will give you the greatest range (almost as good as before Netgear filed its complaint against Asus claiming the Asus radio transmissions were too strong and in violation of FCC regs...or rather that Asus had used improper test data that gave its router an unfair competitive advantage).

If you want to spend less than $100 that makes it really tough to get an AC router with the best range, so spring for another $30-60 and get the AC66U rather than only one of the N models. You won't regret it.

Personally, haven't had a good experience with buying external antennas. If you could list some antenna products that are on the market and that really show that gain for you, that would be helpful. I've tried some, and they have never been better than the antennas that come with the router that are tuned by the manufacturer.

I've only tried a couple, superpowersupply, 7dBi and they worked fine. Produced a noticable increase in throughput at medium and long distances replacing the 5dBi antennas on my WDR3600 as well as my 841nd. It wasn't gobs and gobs of extra performance, but roughly 20% increase in throughput at medium and long range. On the WDR3600 I saw an increase in 2.4GHz (about 10% at medium range, about 20% at long range) and 5GHz (about 20% at medium and long range).

I also used the excess 5dBi antennas from my WDR3600s and slapped them on my Archer C8 and saw a 20-25% gain in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz at medium and long range.

Yeah, if you have a full on dead spot, even a 4dBi gain is unlikely to extend signal to the location, but if you have marginal signal, a 4dBi gain (even a 2dBi gain) very well might be sufficient to make it a usable signal.

That said, I saw a bigger gain going from a WDR3600 to Archer C8. Both had roughly the same max range, but on 2.4GHz 11n I saw an increase of roughly 15% at short range, 40-80% at medium range and 50% at long range. That is a lot more gain than some bigger antennas (and then using 5dBi's over the stock 2/3dBi saw roughly an additional 20% gain at medium and long ranges on top of that!). It didn't really get coverage where I didn't before, though my 5GHz does extend a little further now, granted I was able to connect, but the connection was worthless in one location and now with the larger antennas I can get 3.5MB/sec down and 1.2MB/sec up (effectively nothing before).

Multiple APs is the best way to go (what I am currently doing), but if you don't have that option or have spare antennas, might as well try swapping them on. Worst that happens is nothing. Best that happens is it makes things a little better. Generally you are only talking $10-20 for 3 antennas.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!