What's new

Netgear R7000 or Asus RT-AC88?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

danielhowk

New Around Here
Which of these 2 router is better and faster?
in terms of everything including Lan cable connecting the router to your desktop.
despite the price which is better?
sorry im a complete noob about networking routers. thats why im asking. thanks

Which of these 2 router is better and faster?
in terms of everything including Lan cable connecting the router to your desktop.
despite the price which is better?
sorry im a complete noob about networking routers. thats why im asking. thanks
It's a toss up.

for gaming and streaming which is better? both says its good for gaming
and if im using Lan ethernet cable hooking up from my router to my PC which is faster? between Netgear and Asus?
Their performance is so close, buy whichever is the best current price. You can't go wrong with either as they are both mature products.

Last edited:
Their performance is so close, buy whichever is the best current price. You can't go wrong with either as they are both mature products.
but overall the ac88 is better than netgear r7000? because i can choose between that 2 for free. so its better to take the better one right?

Get the Asus...I´m quite sure it will stay longer up to date with firmware than Netgear.
And in the case you are not satisfied with the AC88U (I doubt) sell it and get the R7000 instead ...still getting out with a plus in your wallet.

for gaming
certainly the 88u as it has specific settings to help onle gaming , the r7000 doesnt have anything like that

the asus also has bandwidth limiting so if others in the house use up all the bandwidth you can control their bandwidth so it doesnt happen

the 88u is almost twice the price of the netgear as its a totally different class of router wifi wise , the netgear is quite old in tech terms now whereas the 88u has just been released

but overall the ac88 is better than netgear r7000? because i can choose between that 2 for free. so its better to take the better one right?

Always better to take the better/newer and 'free' one. :)

R7000 is based on almost three year old hardware and (circuit) design.

RT-AC88U is current.

No question which one I would accept for free. :)

certainly the 88u as it has specific settings to help onle gaming , the r7000 doesnt have anything like that

the asus also has bandwidth limiting so if others in the house use up all the bandwidth you can control their bandwidth so it doesnt happen

the 88u is almost twice the price of the netgear as its a totally different class of router wifi wise , the netgear is quite old in tech terms now whereas the 88u has just been released
Get the Asus...I´m quite sure it will stay longer up to date with firmware than Netgear.
And in the case you are not satisfied with the AC88U (I doubt) sell it and get the R7000 instead ...still getting out with a plus in your wallet.
ok thank you ill go with Ac88 over netgear r7000 since its free, and the ac88 its better overall from your suggestion. thank you very much

while the AC88U is faster and better i wouldnt rely on WTFast. Use priority based QoS for your games if you're playing FPS games, otherwise MMORPGs are bandwidth and computer CPU reliant.

while the AC88U is faster and better i wouldnt rely on WTFast.

have you looked at it or tested it ? or is this just a baseless opinion

. Use priority based QoS for your games if you're playing FPS games

is an addition to qos not an alternative

otherwise MMORPGs are bandwidth and computer CPU reliant.

and thats why you use aiprotection on the asus and put your comp to use in game mode

perhaps you better take a longer look at the whole asus approach when it comes to gaming

I thought WTFast was a VPN routing for used with games that give an alternative route to the server. And its not like i didnt take a look at it, i have just had better success using manual and fine controls. I know ASUS has a lot of good auto QoS and features for gaming but this is if it doesnt work. Sometimes auto can take the wrong direction. If you are on a terrible ISP like virgin media than WTFast may help you.

AIprotection doesnt relate to gaming performance, its used for some protection and tells you what you need to change to secure your router. You still need to use the firewall on your PC unless you enjoy using iptables to filter the forward chain.

I am trying to explain the 2 different types of games there are which are either latency sensitive or bandwidth sensitive. p2p games tend to be upload bandwidth sensitive.

and by computer CPU reliant i mean the CPU on the gaming PC and not the router. latency sensitive applications are actually more CPU intensive on the router because they use more smaller packets but i noticed that mmorpg games are cpu intensive when you have many players in an area.

AIprotection doesnt relate to gaming performance, its used for some protection and tells you what you need to change to secure your router. You still need to use the firewall on your PC unless you enjoy using iptables to filter the forward chain.
but thats the point , asus claims by using ai protect you can temp disable security features and the like on the game pc thus freeing cpu and ram resources to the game

im sure the 3 feature listed in the game section of the 88u and 5300ac are worth it even as an added extra

but thats the point , asus claims by using ai protect you can temp disable security features and the like on the game pc thus freeing cpu and ram resources to the game

im sure the 3 feature listed in the game section of the 88u and 5300ac are worth it even as an added extra
what asus claims isnt exactly correct. I tried it out and checked to see what it is capable off.
It can scan for malware and block known malware things which is good so you dont need your antivirus but it wont work on SSL or non web based traffic (how would it know?)
It probably has a filter to stop traffic going to known sites.
It doesnt however stop hacks or software exploits. Remember we are talking about the forward chain and upnp. So it wont protect against a browser vulnerability for example.
But AIprotection is not a replacement firewall. You still need windows firewall or better while gaming as windows itself without a firewall is very vulnerable.
It wont protect things other than most commonly used consumer apps.
So yes you can disable your antivirus while you game assuming your computer doesnt already have malware but not the firewall because than it would be possible for someone to initiate a connection to your PC without you knowing (the protection against this is below but breaks a lot of recent internet features).

If you think about it it is very much like your antivirus, it can scan data being transferred and have a blacklist but it doesnt have intrusion detection. My example firewall rules includes an intrusion detection attempt to automatically blacklist but it cant check if someone is already in so i log all addresses that travel locally. However i did include an alternative config that prevents intrusion but it can break a lot of things such as cloud based services or redirections since it uses a similar technique employed by banks. Only allow traffic from an address if it is requested internally only for a few seconds. If you look at my mikrotik firewall example you can use RMerlin's firmware for IPTables in order to apply them.

WTFast is a VPN service, it is good of your ISP is really bad at routing (like cable ISPs) otherwise it doesnt provide a benefit.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!