What's new

Netgear R7800 Wifi limitation with Asus PCE-AC88 Dual AC3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FabLdn

New Around Here
Hi everyone !

I spent quite some time trying to find answers about this issue but no sucess...

I recently bought a R7800 to make sure I could enjoy the full specs of my ASUS PCE-AC88 Dual-Band AC3100
and my 1 Gbs bandwith.
It seems it won't go above the average of 320Mbs both ways.

I tried to reset the R7800 and it gave me 450Mbs Dl and 650Mbs Up. But it didn't last long after changing the 5Ghz channel --> back to 300Mbs or worse even if I switch back to the initial channel settings...
When wired, everything is fine : 950Mbs Dl and Up.

Would you have any idea of what's going on ?

Thanks a lot

I have that exact WiFi PCIe adapter and an R7800. I am currently on stock firmware, and I'm behind 2 full thick walls from the router and still manage to get 1.5Gbps (fluctuates from 1.1Gbps to 1.7Gbps) on the link rate. I have a 300/12 down/up connection, and this adapter is able to handle it without issue. Since you have a gigabit connection, I am not able to comment on the gigabit capability of the PCE-AC88 -> R7800 speed wise.

All that being said though, make sure that the WiFi adapter has proper drivers, settings, etc.. It's also worth noting to check the interference around you with the 5GHz band. While the 5GHz band is relatively resistant to interference, it can still happen if it's crowded enough.

You can try changing some of the WiFi driver properties. Most of the properties are documented here.

Ultimately, what I think is happening is this: a bug exists in stock firmware that essentially limits your downlink speed to around 400-500mbps. For some reason, it does not affect uplink connections. It's also understood that it affects only WAN to LAN type connections. Have a look here. Voxel also mentioned it when following this post here.

Thanks for your reply !

I ran further tests after checking the PCE-AC88 settings but it didn't help much, I noticed a slight improvement when enabling beamfoming on the adapter but nothing crazy....
Link rate fluctuates from 685Mbps to 995Mbps but Dl and Up speed are about the same as I said before...

I'm not very far from the router, I'd say around 8 meters and not much other routers in the building.

It seems that this bug might explain it indeed... as Upload speed seems to match the link rate. Signal strength 56% though.

Would another firmware fix this bug perhaps ?

Would another firmware fix this bug perhaps ?

That's my hope. Many have said the problem exists, but Netgear doesn't seem to acknowledge it.

Also, another thing: are you using the extender plate or do you have the antennae plugged directly into the PCIe card?

try voxel or xr500 firmware it works fine with even 2x2 lan speed of 688Mbps or 77MB/s and Internet it spikes upt 450Mbps on a 200Mbps connections.

I can definitely comment the XR500 modded firmware from Openrouter is stable and works flawlessly and interface looks cool. No issues on netspeed or local speed and stable internet as well.

Hi everyone !

I recently bought a R7800 to make sure I could enjoy the full specs of my ASUS PCE-AC88 Dual-Band AC3100
and my 1 Gbs bandwith.
It seems it won't go above the average of 320Mbs both ways.

I have a 1 Gbps down and 50 Mbps up DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem service and an R7800. Running the Speedtest.net app to the local ISP on an iPhone 8 and a Dell XPS13 (late 2017) at 6:00 am, when I can actually get 1 Gbps down, I routinely get 650 Mbps down on both devices about 10 ft from the router line-of-site. This is on 5 GHz, channel 40, and 80 MHz bandwidth. This has been consistent for several months, first on stock firmware v. 1.0.2.44 and more recently on v. 1.0.2.52. QoS is not enabled.

which is clear that wifi full speed and ISP speed is reached with laptops hardly comes with more than 2 antenna spec. So its possible if 3x3 or 4x4 there the router can deliver 1gbs closer . I believe any speed upper 800Mbps is good to have.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!