What's new

New AP for whole home coverage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLostSwede

Very Senior Member
Going to move into a new place in a few months and I'm looking for suggestions for a good AP that can cover the whole home of about 92 square meters.
Ideally 802.11ax and 4x4 at sub $/€200-ish.
Something with a web UI and wall or ceiling mountable.
I've had a look around and the best option so far appears to be the TP-Link Omada EAP670.

The reason for this is that where the internet comes into the flat, is inside a utility cabinet hidden in a sliding wardrobe with glass doors, so I can't just put a WiFi router in there, as it won't reach through the entire place due to it being in one corner of the flat.

Omada EAP670 is excellent, but coverage depends on multiple factors.

If you pay in $* you have a good chance. If you pay in €** you may need more APs. :)

* - US has both 36-48 and 149-161 available at 1000mW, mostly wooden houses
** - EU has 36-48 at 200mW and DFS range only at 1000mW, mostly brick and concrete

But you know all this already. Without testing it in your specific environment it's hard to tell.

You might take a look see at the Cisco 150ax APs. In the states you can buy a couple for around your price range.
For around a 1000sq ft you may have a hard time delivering 5GHz to all areas. 2 will work better.

Omada EAP670 is excellent, but coverage depends on multiple factors.

If you pay in $* you have a good chance. If you pay in €** you may need more APs. :)

* - US has both 36-48 and 149-161 available at 1000mW, mostly wooden houses
** - EU has 36-48 at 200mW and DFS range only at 1000mW, mostly brick and concrete

But you know all this already. Without testing it in your specific environment it's hard to tell.
Urgh, I'd forgotten about the transmit power limitations here, but I can live with DFS, all my wireless devices are modern enough to handle it. Also, most internal walls will be plasterboard.

Was going to go for something that didn't look so obvious, but right now there's a good deal to be had on the Asus ROG GT-AX6000 which I'm also considering. I just wish it wasn't so fugly...

I just wish it wasn't so fugly...

Get this one. Wall mounted.

1700612716732.png

GT-AX6000 EVA Edition.

My GT-AX6000 resides out of normal sight so I've not been motivated to investigate, but in my estimation the unit itself is quite attractive. Am thinking a set of more-conventional antennas is all that would be needed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!