What's new

New FW AC56U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.339

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

speedingcheetah

ASUS RT-AC56U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.339
Added
1. Added OpenVPN server.
2. Added OpenVPN/ PPTP/L2TP client.
3. Some devices like set top box, smart TV or Blu-ray player are not able to establish VPN connection. VPN client in router can help these devices to connect to VPN server.
4. Added roaming assistant: allow to set the minimum RSSI to disconnect clients and let clients reconnect to Ap with better signal.
5. Added import CA file and manual edit option in OpenVPN client
6. Added option for tls-auth in OpenVPN server
7. Added private WAN IP checking in VPN server page.

Modified:
1. Enhanced FAT32 read/write speed
2. Modified roaming assistance algorithm for better roaming experience.

Fixed
1. Fixed OpenVPN server *.ovpn file exporting issue while changed the protocol to TCP.
2. Fixed PPTP VPN client related issues.
3. Applied memory leak patch in media server.  
4. Improved the 2.4GHz wireless throughput.
5. Improved the samba throughput while IPv6 enabled.
6. Adjusted 2.4GHz power saving algorithm to fix slow wireless in some special scenarios.
7. Fixed ASMedia 1053E USB 3.0 controller compatibility issue.
8. Fixed IPv6 related issues
9. Fixed quick internet setup UI issues when setup the router by wireless client.
10. Fixed WPS push button related issues.
11. Fixed the security related issues for httpd.
12. LAN user can now connect to OpenVPN server with DDNS name.
13. Fixed IPv6 default route missing issue.
14. Fixed BitTorrent related issues.

http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC56U/#support

So far..all seems good....no issues torrenting and my PPPoE connected fine.
(I haven't tried OpenVPN...as I use the VPN from my Win Server 2012 system.)
Wifi speeds on 5ghz are excellent!

Anyone else try this update?

Also, I thought I saw in some other threads that the newer firmware would increase the memory clock of the router from 533 to 667...does that affect the AC56U?...(or was that for another model?) Do I need to reset the router or something for such a change to take affect?.... How do you check memory frequency on stock firmware?

Last edited:
The memory clock should automatically be bumped. Check it over telnet:

Code:
nvram get clkfreq

I will try later tonight if I can get PIA VPN to work on ASUS firmware... all previous attempts failed - and will get back to this thread.

The memory clock should automatically be bumped. Check it over telnet:

Code:
nvram get clkfreq

so...when did Microsft remove telnet for the cmd...doesnt work in win 8.1...

anyway...grabbed putty....

returns

Last edited:
UPDATE: OpenVPN Client still does not work with Private Internet Access.

1. Updated to .339 firmware
2. Restored factory defaults to clear NVRAM
3. Re-entered only basic setup info (like wifi passwords, DSL logins)
4. Established internet connection
5. Created new OpenVPN profile
6. Entered the user name/password, uploaded US East.ovpn
7. Certificate tried both uploading ca.crt and manually editing the certificate in Certificate Authority

Result: at the attempt to connect, the internet connection is screwed-up: unable to resolve tracemyip or whatismyip. After reboot, is shows as VPN disconnected.

Last edited:
so...when did Microsft remove telnet for the cmd...doesnt work in win 8.1...

It's no longer installed by default since Vista - you have to manually add it through the Add Windows Features interface.

returns

My bad - looking at the code, I think they only bump it to 666 if you reset to factory defaults. You should still be able to manually set it tho.

Code:
nvram set clkfreq=800,666
nvram commit

It's no longer installed by default since Vista - you have to manually add it through the Add Windows Features interface.

My bad - looking at the code, I think they only bump it to 666 if you reset to factory defaults. You should still be able to manually set it tho.

Code:
nvram commit

That seemed to work...setting stuck after reboot....but isn't it supposed to be 667...not 666...or does it not really matter?

That seemed to work...setting stuck after reboot....but isn't it supposed to be 667...not 666...or does it not really matter?

Asus used 666 throughout the code, so I assume it was rounded down by Broadcom everywhere where it's supported.

OpenVPN works

Thought I would give OpenVPN a try.

Seems to work fine. I set it to TAP mode and now I can even use my HD HomeRun Prime remotely...

However, I noticed that I can't use my VPN from my Server 2012 essentials anymore. I get "Error 800 : VPN Connection Problems - Error The remote connection was not made because the Attempted VPN tunnels Failed. The VPN server might be unreachable. If this connections is attempting to use an L2TP/IPsec tunnel, the security parameters required for IPsec negotiation might not be configured Properly"

I disabled the routers VPN....but I still get error....not sure what is going on...nothing on the sever has changed..

The open vpn adapter driver the client installs...its says its only a 10mbps...(which is only a max of 1.2MB's or so)....my WAN upload is 20meg...so does this mean that Open vpn is limited at the 10 meg speed then and I can't get full bandwidth?

Last edited:
Setting did not stick for me after reboot. Defaulted back to 800,533. How did you get it to stick?

I just telnet in and entered in

nvram get clkfreq

nvram commit

reboot

(I have it set to 850,666....currently...)

I just telnet in and entered in

nvram get clkfreq

nvram commit

reboot

(I have it set to 850,666....currently...)

Thanks. I'll try again later tonight and see if it sticks.

On another note, I upgraded from an N56U to a AC56U yesterday and immediately upgraded to 3.0.0.4.374.339 before inputting my settings. 2.4ghz performance is abysmal to say the least. My Nexus 7 (2012) speeds (my only 2.4ghz only client) don't go above 2mbps on a 50/10 ISP connnection. On my N56U, speeds would be 30-40mbps. I have tried every channel (1-11) to no avail. I'm not sure if I got a bum router, or if it's this firmware, or if it's my settings. I will flash Merlin's latest when I get home later. Anyone mind posting their 2.4ghz Professional settings?

On another note, I upgraded from an N56U to a AC56U yesterday and immediately upgraded to 3.0.0.4.374.339 before inputting my settings. 2.4ghz performance is abysmal to say the least. My Nexus 7 (2012) speeds (my only 2.4ghz only client) don't go above 2mbps on a 50/10 ISP connnection. On my N56U, speeds would be 30-40mbps. I have tried every channel (1-11) to no avail. I'm not sure if I got a bum router, or if it's this firmware, or if it's my settings. I will flash Merlin's latest when I get home later. Anyone mind posting their 2.4ghz Professional settings?

No problem with my Nexus 7. Try disabling the Beamforming options on the 2.4 GHz Professional page.

That's similar to the 2.4 ghz speeds I've been getting on my AC56U (~1-2 mb/s if I'm lucky).

It highly depends on the distance to the router and probably many other factors (on random times/ days it will go to 50 mb/s and stay for a while).

On my N56U I was reliably getting high speeds.

Same here...went from a N56U to the AC56U. N56U is a beast with Padavan firmware...very solid performer.

Anyway, I don't/can't use 2.4ghz band....I live in a large apparent complex with 30+ wifi networks within range...so I can't comment on it.

Thanks all for the replies. So I'm not having an isolated incident. I will play with this for another week, if things do not improve, I'm sending the AC56U back to Amazon and going back to my trusty N56U + Padavan. On a side note, 5GHZ speeds are off the chart and very impressive on all my devices.

I share the same story - N56U with Padavan is very solid, AC56U - terrible 2.4GHz performance. Lesson learned: I will never buy any dual-stream router ever again.

Merlin FW or stock, overclocked or not - the wifi portion on this router is just bad.
The only thing which may help a little bit - try to disable Bluetooth if you are not using it (not on the router of course - on your laptop/tablet/phone/etc.). I see slight improvement, so give it a try.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!