What's new

New router suggestions please. AES-Ni? VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mamba24

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I need to buy a new router since i'm moving, i've been using a AX86U for the past couple of years and it has been solid. I have to leave that at my old place and wanted some recommendations for newer/better models if available. Currently dont have any wifi 6e devices, so can save money there. I do use VPN for clients on the router, and was one of the reasons i got the AX86U due to being recommended the AES-NI. Are there any newer/better models that also have the hardware acceleration or better speeds/features. I have gigabit fiber to the home from my IPS.

Thank you for any help!

The GT-AX6000 is the best bang-for-the-buck router to buy today. Wait for a (BF) sale.

The RT-AX86U is also still very good, but the model above surpasses it now.

The GT-AX6000 is the best bang-for-the-buck router to buy today. Wait for a (BF) sale.

The RT-AX86U is also still very good, but the model above surpasses it now.
is there a way to figure out which router soc's have the AES-NI for faster VPN ? or is that not needed anymore?

To be clear, they don't have AES-NI. They 'only' have AES, but that is all that is needed.

Check the specs, if they don't list the CPU (do a search on it), or that specific capability, it probably doesn't have it.

And, if you do a search on the CPU itself, and it stated it has AES support, that doesn't mean it is present/enabled in the specific router's hardware (buyer beware).

The specs should state so, if included.

gigabit fiber
Been there, done that. You need to build your own and use wireguard if you want line speed VPN connectivity. Off the shelf options cap out at 500mbps. Even a diy box caps at that speed for ovpn due to how ovpn works. Off the shelf ovpn caps at 300mbps.

Been there, done that. You need to build your own and use wireguard if you want line speed VPN connectivity. Off the shelf options cap out at 500mbps. Even a diy box caps at that speed for ovpn due to how ovpn works. Off the shelf ovpn caps at 300mbps.
Any resources I can look at to get started? Which off the shelf options would be best if i go that route?

You can get about 250Mbps on OpenVPN and 400Mbps on WireGuard from Asus home routers. There is no AES-NI - Intel's instructions set. ARMv8 CPUs have AES. It's used for OpenVPN, but not for WireGuard. If you already have AX86U, the newer models are just a bit faster. No significant difference.

Don't know enough about WG, does/will it ever be supported with on board hardware acceleration or is that not required?

This is what we get on the available Broadcom hardware and software. Some Qualcomm home routers with lower clock speed CPU do up to 500Mbps on WireGuard, but there is no direct comparison. Different hardware and software, perhaps better optimized.