What's new

New router, WiFi keeps fluctuating. Spend even more on another router ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Subzero89

Occasional Visitor
My problem is I bought a smart Sony Blu-ray player and I stream Netflix and Amazon prime and it's located in the living room downstairs and the router is upstairs in the closet about 65 feet away. When streaming my TV shows I'll get a bandwidth warning and sometime the show will just stop streaming altogether. In the internet status section of the device signal quality is around 34% but fluctuating a lot anywhere from 10% to 44% this is with my Linksys E1000.

So I upgraded to a TP-LINK Archer C5 AC1200 which is a good mid-range product, but now the signal hovers around 70% but it still fluctuates a lot like all way down to 5% often like every 15 to 20 seconds for a couple of seconds then goes back to 50% then back to %70. Netflix TV shows do stream somewhat faster but I don't like the fluctuating after spending money on a upgrade. I spent like $80 on this router but I'd rather return it and spend more if I have to get a signal that doesn't fluctuate. The only thing in the entertainment center is the TV and a HD-DVR from Time Warner. I updated the firmware on the router by the way to latest version. I don't think there anything wrong with the router. By the way I shut off the 5GHz band in the router settings cause I don't have any thing dual band and I'm pretty sure the Blu-ray player don't have dual band capability. My smart phone when placed by the Blu-ray player it has low bars too.

So why is the signal fluctuating so much why can't it not stay steady, is it normal for WiFi to fluctuate so much cause my phone thorough out the rest of the home has max bars and stays that way.

I could move my router up one shelf or down one shelf but were just talking like 12 inches up or down so I doubt it will make a diff and it would be a hassle.

The question is I don't want to waste time and money getting another router and getting the same results, do you think if I upgrade to something even better will my signal stop fluctuating ? If you don't think upgrading will help then I'll keep the C5 cause it is better then what I had before.

The blu-ray I got is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TYFCJ8S/?tag=snbforums-20

I'm thinking about returning the C5 and getting either a NETGEAR AC1750 R6400 or maybe the TP-LINK Archer C8 AC1750 which is well ranked, there is the C9 but for some reason it's not ranked very high among the AC1900 routers. My budget is around $130.

Thanks

What should I do ?

Last edited:
Even my old RT-N66U can push ~200Mbit wirelessly. You need 5Mbit (or even 25Mbit for 4K) per Netflix stream;
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

What is your internet connection speed?

Signal level fluctuation could be caused by bandwidth battles with a nearby network. Try changing router channel to another, using only 1, 6 or 11.

Router and device in closets and cabinets aren't helping your signal level. Get one or the other out in the open if possible.

I already tried changing channel didn't make a diff, sorry I can't move the equipment. Do you think the Archer C8 is my best bet ?

So you do think if I get the Archer C8 router with *beaming technology* it would help that weak/dead spot ? What I don't understand is how can the signal strength fluctuate so much going from a 75% down to a 5% back and fourth every 10-20 seconds. My phone in that same spot fluctuates also by the way.

I wouldn't buy a new router until you figure out what is causing the throughput variation.

If you move your phone closer to the router, is the variation reduced?

Beamforming won't make a difference in 2.4 GHz. It's part of 802.11ac, which operates in 5 GHz.

Yes if I move my phone just a few feet away it's solid, and mostly through out the rest of the house. Your last point by the way is great I did not know that.

I was thinking about it, going from a 75% and then down to a 5% back and fourth probably indicates a problem elsewhere than the router. Well according to the router ranking for the 1200AC routers, my Archer C5 is ranked #1.

It would be a gamble if a Archer C8 or a NETGEAR AC1750 Smart Wi-Fi R6400 would be able to handle that dead spot better then the Archer C5 for the 2.4GHz, what you think ?

Thanks for your continued support, this website is great.

My problem is I bought a smart Sony Blu-ray player and I stream Netflix and Amazon prime and it's located in the living room downstairs and the router is upstairs in the closet about 65 feet away. When streaming my TV shows I'll get a bandwidth warning and sometime the show will just stop streaming altogether. In the internet status section of the device signal quality is around 34% but fluctuating a lot anywhere from 10% to 44% this is with my Linksys E1000.

Without sounding callous - move the AP to where the traffic is - make sure it has a clear space to transmit and receive from - in a closet is not a good place, IMHO...

65 feet away from the AP to a client... this is a problem perhaps...

simple math - most AP's in the Consumer Space can get good performance in 1500 sq ft...

If you know a circle has a Radius (r) of 65 ft, you can calculate Area (A), Diameter (D), and Circumference (C), as follows:

D = r * 2
D = 65ft * 2
D = 130 ft

C = π * (r * 2)
C = 3.14159 * (65 * 2)
C = 3.14159 * (130)
C = 408.4 ft

A = π * r * r;
A = 3.14159 * 65 * 65
A = 204.20335 * 65
A = 13273 square ft

Please consider to move your AP to a better location - can't beat maths...

...and sfx's post is assuming a single-story house...

For reference, with my RT-N66U & a Linux client with an integrated Atheros (91xx?), 2x2 WiFi card could get ~180Mbit through ~4 walls (drywall at ~45 degree angles) at a distance of ~40 feet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!