What's new

Newbie Router question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

richw

New Around Here
Hi all...

I have a Linksys WRT160N router and TWC Cable modem. My download speeds as tested with the new Win8 Network Speed Test program shows ~5.0 Mbps download and ~1.2 Mbps upload speeds. My Son-in-law said He thought I should be getting faster download speeds. He told me to unplug the router, wait 30 seconds, re-plug and test again. Walla! ~22Mbps download and still ~1.2 Mbps upload. After one day, download speeds dropped to ~15Mbps, after 2 days it was at ~9Mbps, and after 3 days it was back at ~5.0Mbps which it stays at for the remaining few days I continued testing. The upload speeds always remained about 1.2Mbps. After a week I did the unplug thing and again the speeds jumped back to ~22.0 Mbps. Do you smart folks have any idea what may be going on? Time for a new router? Modem? Setting in router? I don't know much about this area, but can follow instructions pretty well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

...Rich

Are you running the test from a wired or wireless device?

How often are you running the test?

If the throughput degradation is as predictable as you say, sounds like a memory leak or something wrong with the firmware. Check for newer firmware. If there isn't any you can try reflashing the current firmware.

Other thing to try is to connect the same test computer directly to the modem and see if you see the same problem.

Thanks. I'll give it a try this weekend. I do know the firmware is the latest but already a few years old.

You might want to call your provider to see what internet service you are paying for. If you want faster download speeds you will have to pay a price for that.

Thanks for the replies everyone...
I hooked up to just the modem and got decent results. After resetting the router and getting good results (Saturday), today (Wednesday) the download speed is down by half. I think I agree with dragons23 and will look into a new router.
A new question. Will my Laserjet P2015d USB printer work if plugged into a new router that has a USB2 port? Currently I have to have my computer on and running the OS in order for anyone on the network to print to it. Thanks in advance again.
...Rich