What's new

NextDNS Installer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is a bad idea, yes. The router would have no way of reaching the outside world if NextDNS isn't running yet. So for instance, things like NTP updates would fail... It would most probably also break Beeline customers who need a private DNS server obtained through DHCP, which is then used to connect to the PPTP server that establishes their Internet connection.
I support what merlin says, I concur 100%. I adapted the asuswrt dnscrypt-proxy installer manager file to run in a way to keep local to upstream wan dns and allow encryption to clients. There is no need for router chatter to be passed off to NextDNS anyways as it overloads the logs with useless router chatter, the moment @Olivier Poitrey and NextDNS Devs address this issue, the better it will be for their current and future customers and the overall function of the nextdns installer.

Can someone assist me on making a BAT file that would accelerate the login and install string ordeal?

I'm using Windows, obviously. If I could paste the password for the router, it would be great, but for some reason it refuses to accept any pasting commands and typing in that complex password is.

ssh USERNAME@IP_ADDRESS

and it logs into the router. However, at this point it's asking for password and I can't figure out an easy way to input it via BAT file. Then after password is entered, it needs to execute the NextDNS installer string. How can i do it so I don't have to manually enter all of it over and over again?

Can someone assist me on making a BAT file that would accelerate the login and install string ordeal?

I'm using Windows, obviously. If I could paste the password for the router, it would be great, but for some reason it refuses to accept any pasting commands and typing in that complex password is.

ssh USERNAME@IP_ADDRESS

and it logs into the router. However, at this point it's asking for password and I can't figure out an easy way to input it via BAT file. Then after password is entered, it needs to execute the NextDNS installer string. How can i do it so I don't have to manually enter all of it over and over again?
Use a better SSH client that can save passwords: https://diversion.ch/diversion/use/development-tools.html

Windows 10 now has SSH client built-in. It's accessible through PowerShell.
Good luck, doing a quick search I found nothing usable.

I'd prefer doing it with Windows SSH client so I don't have to fiddle with extra software.
And humans have a built in system to regulate and maintain their body temperature on its own, but most of us prefer to fiddle with clothes

edit: jokes aside, I looked into this for you and there is a \.ssh\ folder inside your windows user folder just like how it would be on linux, so you could generate an ssh key to access the router (it's also the preferred way over the username/password approach).

Last edited:
Then after password is entered, it needs to execute the NextDNS installer string. How can i do it so I don't have to manually enter all of it over and over again?
It's not completely what you ask for, but I put the install/update command in the script "/jffs/nextdns/update":
Code:
#!/bin/sh
sh -c 'sh -c "$(curl -sL https://nextdns.io/install)"'
Then I only have to type /jffs/nextdns/update instead of remembering (or copy/pasting) the install command.

Please try v1.4.32, it should fix this issue. Make sure wan DNS is enabled after upgrade.
Does not seem to solve it?

After a reboot (from the web GUI) I could no longer access the router; neither via the web GUI nor via SSH.

After pressing the on/off button twice I could (after some time) log in and noticed that the time was again May 5...

These are my WAN DNS settings:

wan-dns.png

Did I do something wrong?

Does not seem to solve it?

After a reboot (from the web GUI) I could no longer access the router; neither via the web GUI nor via SSH.

After pressing the on/off button twice I could (after some time) log in and noticed that the time was again May 5...

These are my WAN DNS settings:

View attachment 21439

Did I do something wrong?

Can you turn on "Connect to DNS Server automatically" and try again please?

Can you turn on "Connect to DNS Server automatically" and try again please?
Same result:
  • After a reboot (from the web GUI) I could no longer access the router; neither via the web GUI nor via SSH.
  • After pressing the on/off button twice I could (after some time) log in and noticed that the date was again May 5...