What's new

NextDNS Installer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I really like NextDNS service. The stats are very helpful and the easy to configure blacklist/whitelist I really like. The only downside for me is your servers geo locations. I went back to Cloudfare because their lookups are much faster than NextDNS servers for me in the SE USA region where I am located.

I really like NextDNS service. The stats are very helpful and the easy to configure blacklist/whitelist I really like. The only downside for me is your servers geo locations. I went back to Cloudfare because their lookups are much faster than NextDNS servers for me in the SE USA region where I am located.

Contact us on the support chat so we can debug that. You should get low latency, especially in the US.

Here are my results using Cloudfare and NextDNS. I do not have IPv6 enabled.

C516B866-024A-4ECD-B7FC-FA9E755806FF.jpeg
3DB28391-1410-4F18-8A6F-0900A1D3660E.jpeg
6F29B5F8-0BF5-4C5D-BBA1-03BF6572A692.png

So you are not using the nextdns proxy described in this thread right? If you’d do, you won’t have this issue.

For anycast debugging I would need a traceroute.

I will look into installing that then. Thanks!

Without going back over this entire thread, what do my WAN settings on my router need to be configured to? See my above post for my current settings. Thanks for all your assistance.

BTW, it is now running MUCH faster on lookups after the install. :)

Here are my results now.

NextDNS-Info.PNG

What's so different about this script compared to dnscrypt + Diversion. Thinking about getting this but not sure if it does anything different than dnscrypt and diversion. Also wondering if it's still possible to use different DNS and still get same results.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk

What's so different about this script compared to dnscrypt + Diversion. Thinking about getting this but not sure if it does anything different than dnscrypt and diversion. Also wondering if it's still possible to use different DNS and still get same results.

I do not run Diversion so I cannot provide any performance comparison with it and NextDNS. I guess the main difference is Diversion is FREE and eventually NextDNS will be a paid service. I prefer NextDNS with it's ease of customization, but you give up "features" of pixelserv.

Without going back over this entire thread, what do my WAN settings on my router need to be configured to? See my above post for my current settings. Thanks for all your assistance.

BTW, it is now running MUCH faster on lookups after the install. :)

Never Mind... found the answer!

NDNS-1.PNG

The main difference is NextDNS installer uses their own personalized DNS53 to DNS over HTTPS, that has been customize to suit their users per client and router base. you will need to look at their github here
https://github.com/nextdns/nextdns that goes into more details about their installer.
Note when using this , NextDNS BECOMES your dns solution. Basically diversion becomes useless as you will be overlapping ad-blocking possibly hindering your dns-resolution.

I suppose you mean dnscrypt-proxy 2 and diversion, and not "dnscrypt" specifically, as one is a proxy that can use both DoH and Dnscrypt and the other is just the name of a type of dns-encryption. Dnscrypt -proxy 2 is able to do DoH similarly to NextDNS, but may lack some of the support that their install may help you benefit from, but you can also run NextDNS service personalized to your account on Dnscypt-proxy 2 as well using a static custom server name and their SDNS stamp provided for your specific account.

With the Dnscrypt-proxy 2 route from here https://github.com/thuantran/dnscrypt-asuswrt-installer , we try to provide DNScrypt Proxy 2 options without taking over too much control of the routers DNS settings such as dnssec support and dns-rebind protection. Other benefits that DNScrypt proxy 2 has list menu option support for anonymized Relays for routing your servers to a middle man servers that prevents the other end from knowing your true IP address. (this option is only available for Dnscrypt protocol at this time though). we also allow for static imputation of servers into the installer by user choosing a custom name and inputting SDNS stamp. ( this can be beneficial for using your personalized nextdns accounts).

Last edited:
Anyone else unable to play harmless YouTube videos when using NextDNS?

Example:

I can watch that video if I enable a VPN to bypass NextDNS.

Example:

It is because one of your chosen blocking list must block too many Youtube ads breaking youtube. that is the problem of not being able to vet your own blocking list , you are having to blindly rely on curated NextDNS list. try finding out the most common youtube ad domains and whitelisting them or go through each block list you have selected and test them one by one to determine the cuplrit.

It is because one of your chosen blocking list must block too many Youtube ads breaking youtube. that is the problem of not being able to vet your own blocking list , you are having to blindly rely on curated NextDNS list. try finding out the most common youtube ad domains and whitelisting them or go through each block list you have selected and test them one by one to determine the cuplrit.
Or just look for blocked domains belonging to youtube or google in the NextDNS log tab. Then whitelist those. :)

Or just look for blocked domains belonging to youtube or google in the NextDNS log tab. Then whitelist those. :)
that is another option. All options are viable methods. i would share my whitelist with you but it is over 500 and last time i tried out nextdns they required you to individually input them o_O:eek::eek: vs a copy and paste all at once.

that is another option. All options are viable methods. i would share my whitelist with you but it is over 500 and last time i tried out nextdns they required you to individually input them o_O:eek::eek: vs a copy and paste all at once.
Yes, I just like to take the easy step first before trying the harder step. :cool:

I think it's probably a well-curated list that blocks the Foo Fighters... :p

Example:

Enabled YouTube restricted mode?
(In nextdns parental control)

Unfortunately there are no blocked domains at all when/after I try to play that video.

Also, YouTube says I need a G Suite account to watch it. Huh?