What's new

NextDNS Installer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have sat on my hands for a couple of days after reading the announcement about NextDNS on Merlin.
I am concerned with the inclusion of a commercial Beta app, software, service or whatever you want to call it. Yes, Asus and Trend Micro are commercial but they were in the router firmware before any of the very skilled individuals started tinkering to come up with a wonderful product and their only payment is thanks and the occasional donation. Many others have added to the Merlin product. All at the same cost to the consumer.
Something just does not seem right to me to welcome a commercial product to this realm. I may be old, opinionated and set in my ways but I would like to cast my vote for not including NextDNS in the Merlin firmware.
If they want to have an add-on in Asus Merlin let them host it and the associated Blog/Forum from their own resources. Or significantly contribute to Tim/SNB and Eric/Asus Merlin.

I have sat on my hands for a couple of days after reading the announcement about NextDNS on Merlin.
I am concerned with the inclusion of a commercial Beta app, software, service or whatever you want to call it. Yes, Asus and Trend Micro are commercial but they were in the router firmware before any of the very skilled individuals started tinkering to come up with a wonderful product and their only payment is thanks and the occasional donation. Many others have added to the Merlin product. All at the same cost to the consumer.
Something just does not seem right to me to welcome a commercial product to this realm. I may be old, opinionated and set in my ways but I would like to cast my vote for not including NextDNS in the Merlin firmware.
If they want to have an add-on in Asus Merlin let them host it and the associated Blog/Forum from their own resources. Or significantly contribute to Tim/SNB and Eric/Asus Merlin.

It's not included in the firmware, you have to install it (hence the title of this thread).

It's not included in the firmware, you have to install it (hence the title of this thread).
See your first post: We are also working with @RMerlin to add a UI to this integration. Stay tuned.

See your first post: We are also working with @RMerlin to add a UI to this integration. Stay tuned.

He is referring to making an addon using the upcoming API (much like Skynet has recently done), a few of us developers are working behind the scenes to write guidelines and work out the kinks.

Not sure I understand. What is my "ddns service address"?
For example, SomeWhereOverTheRainBow.asuscomm.com if you are using Asus to keep track of your WAN IP.

For example, SomeWhereOverTheRainBow.asuscomm.com if you are using Asus to keep track of your WAN IP.
That's what I would like NextDNS to replace, by implementing a DDNS.

(so xxx.nextdns.com or any other domain name, instead of xxx.asuscomm.com, pointing to my IP)

Then you would not need Asus' DDNS, No-IP, Afraid, etc. (and it would make the $1,99/month investment better)

That's what I would like NextDNS to replace, by implementing a DDNS.

(so xxx.nextdns.com or any other domain name, instead of xxx.asuscomm.com, pointing to my IP)

Then you would not need Asus' DDNS, No-IP, Afraid, etc. (and it would make the $1,99/month investment better)

I like that we have options now and I apologize in advance for my ignorance but what would NextDNS "paid" version provide that cloudflare (or the other services) already do for free?

I like that we have options now and I apologize in advance for my ignorance but what would NextDNS "paid" version provide that cloudflare (or the other services) already do for free?
Cloudflare (Google, et al) are just DNS providers they do no ad filtering, etc. that NextDNS is also providing.

DNS filtering that is configurable and web reports

Thanks for the input on the differences...but ad filtering would be similar as using diversion/skynet along with cloudflare?

This is not working for me somehow.
I installed and reinstalled the official app and, with no obvious pattern, it just stops sending devices queries through nextDNS.
I browse to my.nextdns.io and I get the red dot with the message: "This device is not using NextDNS."

The weird thing is that some queries still show up in the logs (and only from one or two wired devices).

Any insight or advice on how to troubleshoot this would be nice.
Cheers

Edit: Some info on my setup:

Asus Ac87U
nextdns version 1.4.12

logs: https://pastebin.com/raw/h7u92gTj

Last edited:
This is not working for me somehow.
I installed and reinstalled the official app and, with no obvious pattern, it just stops sending devices queries through nextDNS.
I browse to my.nextdns.io and I get the red dot with the message: "This device is not using NextDNS."

The weird thing is that some queries still show up in the logs (and only from one or two wired devices).

Any insight or advice on how to troubleshoot this would be nice.
Cheers

Edit: Some info on my setup:

Asus Ac87U
nextdns version 1.4.12

logs: https://pastebin.com/raw/h7u92gTj
I've seen this issue where the daemon dies when the SSH session which launched it exits, or a CTRL-C is sent in the session. Not sure what's going on.

I don't know jack about GO programming, but I think it's something funky about the way they run the service in the background.
https://github.com/nextdns/nextdns/blob/master/host/service/run.go#L27

What do you think @Olivier Poitrey?

Last edited:
I can't get this working on my AC86U. It complains about not being able write to write protected filesystem and also complains about unable to allocted memory. Anyone else with an AC86U try this?