What's new

NextDNS Installer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Would this be used in concert with something like Diversion or would their functionality overlap?

^^^ There's nothing wrong (or right) with taking a layered or onion approach other than it might make debugging a bit more difficult...b/c who's the culprit?

I hope NextDNS plans to do a DoT setup vs DoH only.

The web interface is beautiful, simple to navigate and NextDNS worked right away.
I'd have to figure out how this best cohabits with Diversion on the router. Working already with @Olivier Poitrey so both services are aware of each other.

The web interface is beautiful, simple to navigate and NextDNS worked right away.
I'd have to figure out how this best cohabits with Diversion on the router. Working already with @Olivier Poitrey so both services are aware of each other.
The interface for the Merlin integration, or for their website? :O

EDIT: the website is pretty slick!

Last edited:
web interface?
Theirs, Diversion only has an abandoned project folder on my local hard disk for its own web ui. The last remains of it were removed from the code in Diversion 4.1.4.

Theirs, Diversion only has an abandoned project folder on my local hard disk for its own web ui. The last remains of it were removed from the code in Diversion 4.1.4.
I hope you plan to reinvent that wheel because no one has efficiently taken something as lightweight as pixelserv-tls and has optimized use and function with their own adaptations quite like you have. I feel there are a lot of miles left on those tires of yours. :cool:;)

Their web interface is indeed really nice.

In general I don’t like subscriptions that much, but this might be one I would consider, if I get it working properly on all my devices,

Is nextdns installed compatible with diversion? I have instaled nextdns last night and internet connection with websites was gone.

Came back when i removed nextdns....

Is nextdns installed compatible with diversion? I have instaled nextdns last night and internet connection with websites was gone.

It can block the same lists as Diversion, so it is overlapping and redundant from that perspective. Diversion’s advantage is Pixelserv plus the dnsmasq logging it provides. And control is another aspect in Diversion’s favor.

Offloading large memory footprint from the router is an advantage for Nextdns, not to mention the mobile clients to take ad-blocking with you away from your home network. But I am surprised that the nextdns client on the router claims to be taking ~782m virtual memory in top or htop.

I would like to see a way to keep Diversion active for dnsmasq logging and Pixelserv, but disable the blocking lists.

This is how I try to accomplish this today in dnsmasq.postconf:
Code:
pc_append "alias=0.0.0.0,192.168.1.2" "$CONFIG"
pc_delete "addn-hosts=/opt/share/diversion/list/" "$CONFIG"

When they go out of beta, NextDNS will be free "up until about 300,000 DNS queries/month": https://nextdns.io/pricing

I had no clue how soon I would reach that limit, but I just discovered that the Raspberry Pi which is fetching data from my smart electricity meter and uploading that to an Athom Homey is reaching that amount, in a single day...

Shouldn't the router cache that DNS entry? (why are they all calls to NextDNS?)

It is not. Both are competing to get dnsmasq's attention. Working with @thelonelycoder to make both installers aware of each others. I'm not sure it make sense to run both solutions in parallel tho as they somewhat fulfill the same task.

While it seems a good initiative, it riddles too many question if privacy is the main focus concern. Admittedly it a hard thing to do and very difficult to strike a balance and in no way I'm targeting anyone/anything in personal way, but here're my two cents:

1. Like any privacy centric service, it really still a 'good faith' putting up front. Example 'user data that shall not be logged, it is discarded as quickly as possible' - who decide what type type of data shall not be logged? I would personally rather have a master 'completely no logging' option. I know under the faq 'Some features require some sort of data retention. In that case, our users are given the option, control, and full access on what is logged and for how long' may have clarity for some people, it still riddles around 'good faith' IMHO.

2. Despite the claimed crypto currency support, but E-mail based login only.

3. Surprised to see Hong Kong is up there in the Hardened Privacy mode. It true HK has PDPO similar to the GDPR, but it much less refined as it doesn't define clearly of the accountability and governance, no prior consent, no mandatory breach notification, etc. And not to raise anything, but I think the situation now in HK is pretty self-explanatory to put anyones imagination as to the potential regulation changes in the future.

These are just the few and most upfront ones. Hope NextDNS can improve and strike for a better balance.

I had no clue how soon I would reach that limit, but I just discovered that the Raspberry Pi which is fetching data from my smart electricity meter and uploading that to an Athom Homey is reaching that amount, in a single day...

I would expect the router's dnsmasq to cache these repeated queries (unless they have a very short TTL).

To @TNCS questions:

1. We only log if you enable logging, it's only used for your own analytics. In settings you can disable all form of logging.
2. Email is required for billing, even with crypto. Anonymity has to be managed by the email service of choice.
3. HK is only used for people outside of China and we are actively following the situation.