What's new

NextDNS Installer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just providing a datapoint, 384.13 on AC86U + latest NextDNS installer (nextdns version 1.4.27)
= running perfectly.

Last edited:
Just providing a datapoint, 384.13 on AC86U + latest NextDNS installer = running perfectly.

Make your datapoint complete: provide the NextDNS version you're running. :)

In two minutes, 'the latest installer' will be meaningless. ;)

Make your datapoint complete: provide the NextDNS version you're running. :)

In two minutes, 'the latest installer' will be meaningless. ;)

nextdns version 1.4.27. Updated my post ;) Thanks!

i used the instructions on the github site. when i query the version, it comes up as 1.4.25...
I have the same issue. Can't keep nextdns installed, keeps breaking entware install. {AC86U - 384.15_beta1}
Re-run the installer to upgrade to 1.4.27.
Code:
sh -c 'sh -c "$(curl -sL https://nextdns.io/install)"'

I can confirm that the issue is resolved in 1.4.27. I had to run the installer again and check for updates . installed and rebooted and entware is still installed.
@Olivier Poitrey we should get this installer integrated with amtm so that we can run updates in an integrated fashion...

I can confirm that the issue is resolved in 1.4.27. I had to run the installer again and check for updates . installed and rebooted and entware is still installed.
@Olivier Poitrey we should get this installer integrated with amtm so that we can run updates in an integrated fashion...
Paid services don't belong in amtm, imho. It may be free for now, but it will become a chargeable service. While myself and other script writers are open to donations, we do not ask for them before we provide users with our scripts.

Edit: it's worth noting that there will be a free tier (limited to X number of queries per month, for example), but ultimately its a business.

Last edited:
Paid services don't belong in amtm, imho. It may be free for now, but it will become a chargeable service. While myself and other script writers are open to donations, we do not ask for them before we provide users with our scripts.
Ah Thanks for pointing that out

Since I don't own amtm, but am one of it's many patrons, I'll voice my opinion. I understand this is a slippery slope. IMHO, amtm is more about enabling the Merlin community to be more effective and productive and amtm delivers that and more. There's no way I could EVER set up all the tooling amtm delivers efficiently or get them all working together without amtm.

Note This is not correct, see below posts: [However, Merlin has integrated free/paid services like OpenVPN into the firmware so maybe that's a better option for NextDNS?]

The only rub is the NextDNS installer MUST work correctly both with and without the tooling amtm scripting (Diversion, Skynet, etc) also puts into play. That might get a bit complicated but that's some of what the last 2 or 3 pages of posts have been about..

I intend to use amtm's Diversion/Pixelserv/Skynet + NextDNS when things quiet down a bit on the changes front. I am a big fan "layering" approaches b/c one tool rarely delivers everything and see value in each of these tools for my personal use. Is one good-enough without the others? Sure. Can you use all? Sure. The solution depends on what we are trying to achieve. There is no right or wrong answer - only choices.

Last edited:
Is it possible to use Cloudflares fast 1.1.1.1 DNS and the malware/adblocking features of nextDNS on an AsusWRT router?
Edit:
I have pinged 1.1.1.1 ~ 16ms
ping 45.90.28.155 ~ 30ms

However, Merlin has integrated free/paid services like OpenVPN

There is nothing paid for about OpenVPN. It's a 100% open source VPN client/server, it does not promote any commercial service.

^^^ Correct. Since I've never done anything with any VPN, I assumed they were closely related. :( Sill if we remove that point, the rest remains as my user PoV.

Upgraded to 1.4.28 and now DNS no longer works...

Code:
Feb  6 23:36:09 ac86u nextdns[16103]: Starting NextDNS 1.4.28/linux on 127.0.0.1:5342
Feb  6 23:36:09 ac86u nextdns[16103]: Listening on TCP/127.0.0.1:5342
Feb  6 23:36:09 ac86u nextdns[16103]: Starting discovery resolver
Feb  6 23:36:09 ac86u nextdns[16103]: Listening on UDP/127.0.0.1:5342
Feb  6 23:36:11 ac86u nextdns.init: Stopped

People might be confused though since the first hit on "OpenVPN" in DuckDuckGo (and Google) leads to https://openvpn.net which offers commercial services.

I assumed they were closely related

They actually are.

That company oversees the development of the OpenVPN software. You can access it by clicking on "Community" on their website.

The software is actually different from their commercial version.

Just so I understand correctly ... If I install NextDNS I won't need to use Diversion? Or do I just leave it on/installed?

Edit: I have NextDNS installed but the Web UI for NextDNS doesn't indicate the router is connected. And I still have Diversion on.

Last edited:
Just so I understand correctly ... If I install NextDNS I won't need to use Diversion? Or do I just leave it on/installed?

Edit: I have NextDNS installed but the Web UI for NextDNS doesn't indicate the router is connected. And I still have Diversion on.
Check your syslog for nextdns messages. It’s pretty chatty when it’s working. Post what you find.

Check your syslog for nextdns messages. It’s pretty chatty when it’s working. Post what you find.

I don't see anything I understand to be NextDNS in the logs, but am I suppose to add DNS servers in the UI anywhere?

I'll take a look again, but just to clarify what should I be looking for in the logs? Anything with "NextDNS" labelled?

I don't see anything I understand to be NextDNS in the logs, but am I suppose to add DNS servers in the UI anywhere?

I'll take a look again, but just to clarify what should I be looking for in the logs? Anything with "NextDNS" labelled?
Run the install again to upgrade to v1.4.31. They fixed a crash in that version.

There is no a need to update anything in the router GUI.