What's new

NTP Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

misses esterhouse

Occasional Visitor
I know this has probably been asked before, but I wanted to know if it would be possible to run a NTP server for local network/subnet access only using Merlin's firmware build? I have a few linux machines that I am able to modify the ntp.conf file for listening for NTP broadcasts locally only and would like them to be able to sync with my router.

I wanted to know if it would be possible to run a NTP server for local network/subnet access only using Merlin's firmware build?
Asuswrt does not provide an NTP server. And Merlin is not going to doit because it's not a goal of his project. You must install Entware-ng, or compile it yourself. If you know what you're doing, I can post the compile instructions.

Also, my brother Jon has a mod of the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware with the NTP server compiled in. If you don't want to install his firmware, open it with 7-Zip and copy the programs from /native/bin to your /jffs/bin folder.
https://github.com/blackfuel/asuswrt-merlin/releases

Asuswrt does not provide an NTP server. And Merlin is not going to doit because it's not a goal of his project. You must install Entware-ng, or compile it yourself. If you know what you're doing, I can post the compile instructions.

RMerlin had a good reason not to include it - might have to search thru the sub-forums, but he was pretty clear as to why it wasn't a good idea to include in the AsusWRT-RMerlin directly.

An alternative might be hosting NTP server on something like a RPi - and this would tie nicely into the GPS thread here on SNB...

And the Model B (not RPi2/RPi3) can be powered easily enough from one of the USB ports on the router, and as an adjunct machine, can support a lot of tasks/processes that would normally be handled by Entware... second hand Model B's are going cheap these days (or find a PiZero even, it'll work just as well)

One can always build OpenWRT for the Pi/Pi2/Pi3, and pull in Entware there, or just run Raspbian and have even more support for 3rd party packages...

I know this has probably been asked before, but I wanted to know if it would be possible to run a NTP server for local network/subnet access only using Merlin's firmware build? I have a few linux machines that I am able to modify the ntp.conf file for listening for NTP broadcasts locally only and would like them to be able to sync with my router.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/threads/ntp-daemon-for-asuswrt-merlin.28041/

Works great on ARM. GUI part is optional if you see how the package is working.

Some users reported having issue with MIPS binary (which I won't have time to look into it)

RMerlin had a good reason not to include it - might have to search thru the sub-forums, but he was pretty clear as to why it wasn't a good idea to include in the AsusWRT-RMerlin directly.

@RMerlin - I recall the objections and discovery in the build, but I can't find the thread - but it was a darn good reason, and there was a fair amount of discussion about it...

@RMerlin - I recall the objections and discovery in the build, but I can't find the thread - but it was a darn good reason, and there was a fair amount of discussion about it...

I don't recall any particular reasons, but if asked today, I would say no because it doesn't belong in a router, and also because the router itself needs to sync with a remote ntpd as it has no battery-backed clock, so your router's ntpd is not guaranteed to be accurate.

I don't recall any particular reasons, but if asked today, I would say no because it doesn't belong in a router, and also because the router itself needs to sync with a remote ntpd as it has no battery-backed clock, so your router's ntpd is not guaranteed to be accurate.
Differences of opinion....what makes the world go 'round :) I thought that this actually made sense to include in the router, so I enabled the Busybox SNTP server in my fork. I use the watchdog to start it and it will only will start once the router time is set. Been working great for me for several months now.

Do none of the AsusWRT devices have an RTC that will keep consistent time after a reboot?

Do none of the AsusWRT devices have an RTC that will keep consistent time after a reboot?
No.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk