What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.20308 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I read this entire thread, and one non-technical item kept getting my attention... that many of you have incredibly beefy routers, connected to quite beefy nodes (plural). What sort of house do you all live in, that you need that much hardware? My house is huge (9000 sq ft) spread over 3 floors. I have a deck and pool out back too. I use two AC86U's for all of it. When I walk around, I get great signal everywhere. Literally, I've done heatmaps, and the signals are strong throughout my huge house.

So, unless you guys are installing wifi for an apartment building... I just don't understand the need for so much hardware. And knowing how a over-abundance of signal can actually be a bad thing, I wonder how many of you are paying lots of $ to get less throughput.

Someone, set me straight.
While I agree this can be an issue for some, good signal doesn’t necessarily equal good speed. Wireless is very environmental. With a 9000 sqft house you probably don’t have neighbors very close either so less interference there. I think most people have some dead spots which are not uncommon even in small homes that they are trying to fix. If ASUS would allow us to change the radio power on all nodes that would help tremendously. In a lot of commercial settings they have tons of APs but they will set them to about 50% power to help with interference.

I used RT-AC5300 as the main and RT-AC68R as the node. No changes made on the router settings after reset. It's up and running without issue for 3 days now.

While I agree this can be an issue for some, good signal doesn’t necessarily equal good speed. Wireless is very environmental. With a 9000 sqft house you probably don’t have neighbors very close either so less interference there. I think most people have some dead spots which are not uncommon even in small homes that they are trying to fix. If ASUS would allow us to change the radio power on all nodes that would help tremendously. In a lot of commercial settings they have tons of APs but they will set them to about 50% power to help with interference.
I also support and vote for more advanced control of the nodes. How about a option to allow for advanced setting on node?

I have faith on ASUS, they can eventually make AiMesh rocks!
Thank you for your reply Richard.

Yes, cheers to ASUS router support team.

Also cheers to the company as a whole for this in genius marketing move. Let’s face it, these routers will possibly last three years, maybe seven years? Eventually we will have to replace them; hopefully - individually.

With that said, let’s hope they don’t make the same mistake as they did in the past with their firmware by allowing Open source (DDWRT Example) to gain a foothold . Please support team, if you’re reading this - keep out innovating to retain our loyal group of followers to your brand routers.

I also support and vote for more advanced control of the nodes. How about a option to allow for advanced setting on node?
I sympathize with you and also want more control. But at this stage the poor developers are just trying to keep this juggling act going. Allowing us to willy-nilly make config changes would be like tossing a grenade into the mix.

What sort of house do you all live in, that you need that much hardware? My house is huge (9000 sq ft)

My appartment is just 1200 sq ft, but I do need 2 routers. It is 100+ years old building, main router must sit in a corner room, and there is some metal in walls (chimneys..). There are also about 20+ networks on 2.4GHz band around. So second router and stick to 5GHz is the only way to get good signal and utilise my 500Mbps internet connection in the opposite corner :)

Last edited:
I read this entire thread, and one non-technical item kept getting my attention... that many of you have incredibly beefy routers, connected to quite beefy nodes (plural). What sort of house do you all live in, that you need that much hardware? My house is huge (9000 sq ft) spread over 3 floors. I have a deck and pool out back too. I use two AC86U's for all of it. When I walk around, I get great signal everywhere. Literally, I've done heatmaps, and the signals are strong throughout my huge house.

So, unless you guys are installing wifi for an apartment building... I just don't understand the need for so much hardware. And knowing how a over-abundance of signal can actually be a bad thing, I wonder how many of you are paying lots of $ to get less throughput.

Someone, set me straight.
I got 1 House, 1 town house, 1 apartment,
1 router for the house, 2.4G full cover with some dead spot for 5G
2 for town house, 2.4G full cover and also dead spot for 5G
3 for apartement, all the wall are thick concrete, even 2,4G cannot play well with the wall, basically I need one AP for each room.

Hello everyone,
I have been a long-time lurker and this is my first post. I like to add my two cents in.
Everything works perfectly except for the occasional “offline node” which isn't a problem as it can easily get fix with a quick restart of the node.
Another problem I notice. I have a sever connected via Ethernet cable to a node, which is wireless connected to the AP. When transferring large amounts of data (above 50gb) from one comp to the server, that node would temporarily disconnected. Has anyone else encountered this problem with an attached NAS or server? I should note, before utilizing Aimesh, i ran Merlins firmware and have never encountered this problem when the node run as a repeater.
AP = rt68r
nodes = rt68u
Firmware on all = 3.0.0.4.384.20308
I don't know if my problem is the same as yours, right now I am helping asus to debug it and what we know is disable flow control will help in my case, but I won't suggest disable flow control for the NAS in long run unless you are sure no packet lost.

I sympathize with you and also want more control. But at this stage the poor developers are just trying to keep this juggling act going. Allowing us to willy-nilly make config changes would be like tossing a grenade into the mix.
May be it will be the opposite, right now AImesh copy the setting to the node even they are not the same model, so end up some setting may omit due to availability of function may be different

So the last few days I am getting these constant errors:

Feb 10 19:32:06 kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth4

Anyone know what this is? Is there really a problem, or is this just a bug being triggered by something?

Yes, the option to choose signal strength in different nodes is essential, except the firmware has intelligent to tune this dynamically.

@arthurlien

I’m not running AiMesh, but I do have an observation to share under the Wireless Log.

If I set the router to AUTO for my 5GHz channel, in the log the “Noise” value is pegged at - 92 dBm. That value doesn’t change on auto setting. If I manually set the same exact channel the router chose, “Noise” value fluctuates between - 89 to - 90 dBm.

Is this normal? Reason I ask, do not remember seeing this behavior in 382.

Thanks.

Hello,

I am new at this but learning fast. Thanks to all here for all the informative posts and discussion.

I am setting up an AIMesh Net in my home . I purchased all new routers (3) I have a couple of questions on configuring the Routers and setting this up:

I will be using an RT-AC86U as the Primary AIMesh Router
I will be using (2) RT-AC68U Routers as the AIMesh Nodes

1. Do all 3 of the Routers have to be Default Reset or just my 2 AIMesh Nodes?
2. When Firmware updated, configured and ready to search can both Nodes be searched for and discovered at the same time or do you search for each one separately?

Thanks Much!

Hello,

I am new at this but learning fast. Thanks to all here for all the informative posts and discussion.

I am setting up an AIMesh Net in my home . I purchased all new routers (3) I have a couple of questions on configuring the Routers and setting this up:

I will be using an RT-AC86U as the Primary AIMesh Router
I will be using (2) RT-AC68U Routers as the AIMesh Nodes

1. Do all 3 of the Routers have to be Default Reset or just my 2 AIMesh Nodes?
2. When Firmware updated, configured and ready to search can both Nodes be searched for and discovered at the same time or do you search for each one separately?

Thanks Much!

After you update the firmware on the router and nodes you should factory reset all of them. This was a major firmware upgrade so if you don't want issues resetting is your best bet.

About factory reset, if you upgrade from 380, 382 or 9.0.0.38X, I suggest you to reset default after newest FW upgrade successfully.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 ASUS_Z012DA 發送

@arthurlien

I’m not running AiMesh, but I do have an observation to share under the Wireless Log.

If I set the router to AUTO for my 5GHz channel, in the log the “Noise” value is pegged at - 92 dBm. That value doesn’t change on auto setting. If I manually set the same exact channel the router chose, “Noise” value fluctuates between - 89 to - 90 dBm.

Is this normal? Reason I ask, do not remember seeing this behavior in 382.

Thanks.
I think it should be fine.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 ASUS_Z012DA 發送

Last edited: