What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.20308 for All Supported Products

maxbraketorque

Very Senior Member
Silly question, is it ok to run both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz on the same SSID?
It is possible to do it, and many people do it, but its not always the best way to set up a home wifi network. Devices that come and go from the network (phones, laptops, etc) will mostly end up on the 2.4 GHz band because that's what will come into range first. IMHO, its better to set up separate SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, and then use the network preferences on your computer to preferentially connect to the 5 GHz network. Unfortunately, Android does not allow setting preferred wifi networks, so I just exclude the 2.4 GHz network from my phones.

Ken Atkinson

Regular Contributor
For Smart Connect to work surely both id's need to be the same. I've not switched smart connect on yet was waiting until i'm happy mesh is stable before throwing something else into the mix.

RandomName23

Regular Contributor
It is possible to do it, and many people do it, but its not always the best way to set up a home wifi network. Devices that come and go from the network (phones, laptops, etc) will mostly end up on the 2.4 GHz band because that's what will come into range first. IMHO, its better to set up separate SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, and then use the network preferences on your computer to preferentially connect to the 5 GHz network. Unfortunately, Android does not allow setting preferred wifi networks, so I just exclude the 2.4 GHz network from my phones.
It is absolutely okay to use the same SSID for both bands, in fact some mesh systems like Orbi won't even let you specify a different SSID. Aimesh does let you, one of the reasons I much prefer it over other systems. If you're router supports Smart Connect I recommend giving it a try. I've been using it with the default settings and have not once ended up on the 2.4 Ghz band in my home for devices that support 5 Ghz. With my old router that didn't support Smart Connect I would frequently end up on the 2.4 band even when I was in range to receive a 5 Ghz signal and my speeds were crap so I did what others indicated and setup separate SSIDs so I could force my devices to the band I wanted. So in the end I think it depends on your needs and capabilities of your router.

maxbraketorque

Very Senior Member
It is absolutely okay to use the same SSID for both bands, in fact some mesh systems like Orbi won't even let you specify a different SSID. Aimesh does let you, one of the reasons I much prefer it over other systems. If you're router supports Smart Connect I recommend giving it a try. I've been using it with the default settings and have not once ended up on the 2.4 Ghz band in my home for devices that support 5 Ghz. With my old router that didn't support Smart Connect I would frequently end up on the 2.4 band even when I was in range to receive a 5 Ghz signal and my speeds were crap so I did what others indicated and setup separate SSIDs so I could force my devices to the band I wanted. So in the end I think it depends on your needs and capabilities of your router.
I think your last sentence captures the key points. With my dual router setup, there is no place in my home or yard where 2.4 GHz provides faster wireless speeds than 5 GHz (2.4 GHz RSSI can be and often is better but not speed), so I only use 2.4 GHz now for my wireless cameras.

Adam

New Around Here
Is anyone getting weird issues, where it looks like the stronger AP just dropped you (almost as if its radio is going through a reboot) and you are in dead air for a minute or so? My cell phone data usage went way up, since these drops kept happening.
My 3 x RT-AC68U got almost unusable, and I had to reboot the main router and the nodes after a couple of days of use. I'm not sure if that might have been due to extensive use of IPTV or what, but it was running into issues with the DHCP server (My android phone telling me that the network was full). Even after a total wipe/factory restore it was doing that. Finally, I've plugged in a different router, and changed the whole AUS setup to AP AiMesh. Now it's finally stable.
This was on the same SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz, and pretty much on default setup.

Volfi

Regular Contributor
Silly question, is it ok to run both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz on the same SSID?
Depends.. :) Around my appartment are 20+ active networks on 2.4GHz, but only two on 5GHz (108 and 161 channels). Having seperate SSIDs means I can "force" my devices to stay on 5GHz (channel 36, 80MHz width), and only few legacy ones are given passwords for 2.4GHz band.

This gives me better network stability.

Ken Atkinson

Regular Contributor
My GUI showing firmware update available for AC88U running 384_20308 , not in a position to update at the moment , product webpages not updated for new version yet either.... wonder whats fixed/added ?

Flying Dutchman

Regular Contributor
Most likely KRACK vulnerabilities are solved.

In another thread I read that the servers are being synchronized at the moment, so new firmware will become available within 24 hours.

Last edited:

Ken Atkinson

Regular Contributor
Most likely KRACK vulnerabilities are solved.

In another thread I read that the servers are being synchronized at the moment, so new firmware will become available within 24 hours.
Cool thanks , can't update for a day or so anyway, but think will switch on smart connect when i update as mesh seems pretty stable

mlippold

Regular Contributor
Is there anyone experiencing issue while trying to reach AiMesh fireware downloading page? Each time I clicked the firmware downloading link, e.g. https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_BIOS/
it always be redirected to
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/
no matter what kind of browsers I was using. This started to happen after I upgraded my two AC68U routers to AiMesh.
Looks like you left off the /us in that URL.

Try this:
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

RandomName23

Regular Contributor
Has anyone been able to get email notifications to work from the Aiprotection section? I have hits in the 2 way intrusion detection but never receive any emails.

Junkbot

New Around Here
Just wanted to post on this thread as it is most current:

Is it possible to disable 2.4Ghz?

2.4Ghz is way too congested in my area, and I want to be courteous to my neighbors and use 5Ghz only. When I set up AiMesh, I can turn off 2.4Ghz antenna on the ROUTER (the 2.4Ghz LED on the ROUTER turns off), but the 2.4Ghz light does not turn off on the NODE. I can also connect to the 2.4GHz SSID on my phone.

Currently, the main can't disabled wifi in Node.
I guess this is a similar problem where you cannot configure some things in the node directly.

RandomName23

Regular Contributor
Is there a way to reboot the aimesh nodes from any UI, either web or iOS? Also, does anyone else have this problem where when they reboot only the main aimesh router they get slow speeds on the aimesh node until the aimesh node has been rebooted at which point full speeds are reestablished?

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
My 2xRT-AC86U 9.0.0.4.386_40018 AiMesh 2.0 RC2-5 beta with SB6141 cable modem is on main level with a 77' wireless backhaul. The router covers (3) 1650 sq ft levels; the detached garage node covers 1750 sq ft; both cover a 2-acre lot; brick construction. The backhaul signal is 3 bars 5G. Roaming Assistant node steering is enabled with defaults. Smart Connect node band steering is disabled with different SSIDs and fixed channels. AiProtection is enabled.

This replaced 2xRT-AC68U with a backhaul signal of 2-3 bars (no WiFi Range Boost). Smart Connect is not supported on AC1900/AC68/AC66 B1; the SSIDs should be different.

Speedtest.net results...

My install notes:
o ASUS AiMesh = router/AP + nodes = root node + remote nodes
Use the highest spec router as the root node.
A non-AiMesh router is used when the root node is in AP Mode.
Mixing routers/firmware, wired/wireless backhauls, and star (ideal)/daisy-chain topologies is permitted.
o AC86U, AC68U, N66U
o Reset FAQ, Reset Button/webUI Restore, WPS Button Hard Reset
o AiMesh FAQs, Lessons, Insights, Speeds, Beam Forming, Roaming/Secrets, Smart Connect, Troubleshooting/Addendum
o Use a UPS to protect network and firmware upgrades*

o Power OFF router and modem
o Wire router WAN to modem (blue tape/cable*), and router LAN to PC
o Power ON router and wait for it to settle (power cycle/drain)
o Hold router Reset until Power LED flashes slowly and wait (factory default reset)
o Power ON modem and wait
o Browse to router.asus.com or 192.168.50.1 or 192.168.1.1 and login to router webUI when required (default credentials are admin, admin)
o Perform router Quick Setup for firmware check/upgrade (see version link for release notes)
o Perform router Restore w/Initialize and wait (factory default reset w/initialization AFTER firmware upgrade)
Reset Button/webUI Restore clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores factory defaults from CFE.
WebUI Restore w/Initialize also clears logged data in /jffs folder.
o Power OFF router and modem

o Repeat above for node except keep power ON for AiMesh install
o Disconnect node and place near router (77' works here)

o Wire router WAN to modem (blue tape/cable*), and router LAN to PC
o Power ON router and wait
o Power ON modem and wait
o Perform router Quick Setup and configuration:
Disable Smart Connect and set different SSIDs and fixed, non-DFS channels for more predictable/stable WiFi (avoids band contention and Auto/DFS channel disruption, and allows segmenting clients across WLANs).
Otherwise, enable Smart Connect with same SSIDs.
- set 2.4 WLAN to OE-24, n, 20 MHz, ch 1,6,11 (or 1,5,9,13), WPA2-Personal AES*
graphic-80211-acChannels-all.png

- set 5.0 WLAN to OE-50, n/ac, 20/40/80 MHz, ch 36-48 52-144 (DFS) 149-161 165, WPA2-Personal AES*
- do not hide SSIDs (speeds client connection)
- confirm ALL bands are broadcasting (required to add node)
- confirm Roaming Assistant is enabled per band (2.4/5.0 defaults are -70/-70 dBm)
- disable Airtime Fairness per band (incompatible with some adapters)
- disable Universal/Implicit Beamforming per band (proprietary/problematic)
- set guest WLANs to OE-24/50 Guest, disable intranet access*, sync to all nodes
AiMesh 1.0 guest WLANs broadcast from root node only (an AP Mode guest WLAN is NOT isolated).
- set router LAN static IP 192.168.1.1 and DHCP server pool 192.168.1.10-254 (router manual IPs inside pool; client static IPs outside pool)
- disable UPnP* (enable UPnP or forward ports, if desired)
- set WAN DNS servers* (Quad9 9.9.9.9 and 149.112.112.112)
- disable login Captcha
- set USB Mode 2.0 (shields 2.4 WLAN/range from USB 3.0 EMI)
- set local Time Zone and DST settings
- disable SIP Passthrough
A SIP device on node may need to use TCP/TLS, not UDP.
- confirm Telnet is disabled*
- confirm SSH is disabled*
- confirm Authentication Method is set to HTTP (required to add node?)
- confirm Web Access from WAN is disabled always*
- search/add AiMesh node (node must be in default state; will enable WPS)
Removing a node will reset the node.
- disable WPS after adding node*
- enable AiProtection\Network Protection*
Administration\Privacy Withdraw will disable all Trend Micro features.
- disable UPnP Media Server and Network Place (SAMBA) Share
Otherwise, if USB disk is attached (problematic), set Network Place\Device Name (RT-NAS).
*Security-related
o Power OFF/ON router and browse to GRC Shields UP! to test WAN security, and Speedtest.net or nPerf.com or inbuilt QoS to test ISP speeds

o Deploy node(s) within range of router's 5.0 band, even if using a wired backhaul (alternate backhauls enable self-healing), or daisy-chain node(s) within range of another node's 5.0 band
The Wireless Log lists RSSI values and Tx/Rx rates for a node's wireless backhaul MACs. Adjust channel and backhaul distance/path for a signal of 4 bars or RSSI greater/more positive than -68 dBm and least interference. Tighten and face antennas \ | / (tilted donut pattern and ~3.5 dBi coverage).
pattern.jpg

coverage.jpg

o If possible, install wired backhaul from router LAN to node WAN for full-duplex Ethernet
o Configure node connection priority to force using wired backhaul (required with some switches that defeat Auto sensing of connection type)
o If necessary, relocate node to adjust band coverage/overlap to affect node steering (not too near, not too far) and/or reduce Tx power
o If necessary, adjust Roaming Assistant RSSI threshold per band to affect node steering
o If necessary, adjust Smart Connect rules to affect node band steering (not likely)

o Confirm the integrity of all cabling (Cat5e or better)
o Reboot network infrastructure/clients to clear lingering conditions
o Configure client side wireless properties to improve client band steering; forget wireless connections to clear lingering conditions; update OEM wireless drivers
o Disable unnecessary WiFi Direct APs in wireless printers and media boxes that may interfere
o Install WiFi Analyzer Classic Android app or similar to monitor ambient WiFi signals
o Avoid ASUS Router app (mobile platforms are fragile/insecure)
o Live with a new network awhile before adding features

o Use webUI to upgrade firmware:
Run WinMD5 to verify downloaded file MD5 checksum value.
- Check/Upgrade/Upload nodes/router (stop here for dirty upgrade)
- Remove/eject USB disk
- Remove nodes to reset; Restore w/Initialize router to reset
- Configure router from scratch; add nodes; disable WPS
- Mount and scan USB disk
o Power OFF/ON router and test WAN security and ISP speeds

o 3004.384_21140
x 32797,9 node client connection/speed degrades
x 45149 TM crashes
o 45713,7 excessive Auto ch scanning; TM consumes memory
x 81039 PULLED; excessive Auto ch scanning; webUI lock up; erratic CPU; new RA defaults
o 81049 excessive Auto ch scanning
o 81351,2
o 81369
o 81792 PULLED; SC allows fixed channels!
o 81858
o 81918,30
o 81992 enables auto updating!
o 82072 auto updated

AiMesh uses performance routers with features including Asuswrt-Merlin, extends LAN/WLANs, improves roaming, centralizes management, maintains fast/dedicated wired/wireless backhauls, and can be incrementally purchased/upgraded. Future: AiMesh 2.0 with tri-band WiFi 6e dedicated wireless backhauls.

My 2018 China 86Us died 2/20 and 8/20 with half-lit LAN LED 4; replaced with 2020 Vietnam 86Us.

OE

Last edited:

Quad80

Regular Contributor
I just noticed the other day that the mesh seems to be showing up as individual clients on my client list, one for each wifi band, but under the same IP address. It didn't do this before, I haven't updated to the new firmware that was just updated, and I didn't change any settings. It didn't do this when I first set up the mesh, but for some reason it just started doing it. Is anyone else seeing this? Screenshots are attached, one from desktop, one from app, since both are showing this behavior.

Attachments

RandomName23

Regular Contributor
I now have two RT-AC68Us configured for AiMesh with WiFi backhaul. They are about 95' apart on one level spanning 3 interior walls/kitchen and 2 exterior brick walls. This is to upgrade an RT-AC68U and RT-N66U in extender/repeater mode. The old setup worked but the roaming, multiple SSIDs, and management were not very elegant. Plus I need to push the RT-N66U over the hills and through the woods to Grandma's house.
o Set DNS servers (OpenDNS 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220)
Just curious why the decision to use OpenDNS vs the built in trend micro? I have been using software at the client level but have been thinking about doing it at the router level.

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
Just curious why the decision to use OpenDNS vs the built in trend micro? I have been using software at the client level but have been thinking about doing it at the router level.
My use of OpenDNS precedes my use of ASUS routers. I did not realize there was a Trend Micro option... but even so, I like to spread the love around. OpenDNS is reputable and it's not Google.

I only mentioned OpenDNS here to provide context... it's currently in my router and in my notes!

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!