1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.20308 for All Supported Products

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by arthurlien, Feb 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. visortgw

visortgw Senior Member

I am doing that now on multiple networks without any problems.

2. maxbraketorque

maxbraketorque Very Senior Member

It is possible to do it, and many people do it, but its not always the best way to set up a home wifi network. Devices that come and go from the network (phones, laptops, etc) will mostly end up on the 2.4 GHz band because that's what will come into range first. IMHO, its better to set up separate SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, and then use the network preferences on your computer to preferentially connect to the 5 GHz network. Unfortunately, Android does not allow setting preferred wifi networks, so I just exclude the 2.4 GHz network from my phones.

scope666 likes this.
  3. Ken Atkinson

Ken Atkinson Regular Contributor

For Smart Connect to work surely both id's need to be the same. I've not switched smart connect on yet was waiting until i'm happy mesh is stable before throwing something else into the mix.

4. RandomName23

RandomName23 Regular Contributor

It is absolutely okay to use the same SSID for both bands, in fact some mesh systems like Orbi won't even let you specify a different SSID. Aimesh does let you, one of the reasons I much prefer it over other systems. If you're router supports Smart Connect I recommend giving it a try. I've been using it with the default settings and have not once ended up on the 2.4 Ghz band in my home for devices that support 5 Ghz. With my old router that didn't support Smart Connect I would frequently end up on the 2.4 band even when I was in range to receive a 5 Ghz signal and my speeds were crap so I did what others indicated and setup separate SSIDs so I could force my devices to the band I wanted. So in the end I think it depends on your needs and capabilities of your router.

OzarkEdge and Ken Atkinson like this.
  5. maxbraketorque

maxbraketorque Very Senior Member

I think your last sentence captures the key points. With my dual router setup, there is no place in my home or yard where 2.4 GHz provides faster wireless speeds than 5 GHz (2.4 GHz RSSI can be and often is better but not speed), so I only use 2.4 GHz now for my wireless cameras.

scope666 and RandomName23 like this.
  6. Adam

Adam New Around Here

Is anyone getting weird issues, where it looks like the stronger AP just dropped you (almost as if its radio is going through a reboot) and you are in dead air for a minute or so? My cell phone data usage went way up, since these drops kept happening.
    My 3 x RT-AC68U got almost unusable, and I had to reboot the main router and the nodes after a couple of days of use. I'm not sure if that might have been due to extensive use of IPTV or what, but it was running into issues with the DHCP server (My android phone telling me that the network was full). Even after a total wipe/factory restore it was doing that. Finally, I've plugged in a different router, and changed the whole AUS setup to AP AiMesh. Now it's finally stable.
    This was on the same SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz, and pretty much on default setup.

7. Volfi

Volfi Occasional Visitor

Depends.. :) Around my appartment are 20+ active networks on 2.4GHz, but only two on 5GHz (108 and 161 channels). Having seperate SSIDs means I can "force" my devices to stay on 5GHz (channel 36, 80MHz width), and only few legacy ones are given passwords for 2.4GHz band.

This gives me better network stability.

scope666 likes this.
  8. Ken Atkinson

My GUI showing firmware update available for AC88U running 384_20308 , not in a position to update at the moment , product webpages not updated for new version yet either.... wonder whats fixed/added ?

9. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Regular Contributor

Most likely KRACK vulnerabilities are solved.

In another thread I read that the servers are being synchronized at the moment, so new firmware will become available within 24 hours.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Ken Atkinson likes this.
  10. Ken Atkinson

Cool thanks , can't update for a day or so anyway, but think will switch on smart connect when i update as mesh seems pretty stable

11. mlippold

mlippold Regular Contributor

Updated to 20379 from 20308 and all is well on my RT-AC5300 (non-mesh setup).

arthurlien likes this.
  12. Mike Gates

Mike Gates New Around Here

13. mlippold

mlippold Regular Contributor

Looks like you left off the /us in that URL.

Try this:
    https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

14. RandomName23

Has anyone been able to get email notifications to work from the Aiprotection section? I have hits in the 2 way intrusion detection but never receive any emails.

15. Junkbot

Junkbot New Around Here

Just wanted to post on this thread as it is most current:

Is it possible to disable 2.4Ghz?

2.4Ghz is way too congested in my area, and I want to be courteous to my neighbors and use 5Ghz only. When I set up AiMesh, I can turn off 2.4Ghz antenna on the ROUTER (the 2.4Ghz LED on the ROUTER turns off), but the 2.4Ghz light does not turn off on the NODE. I can also connect to the 2.4GHz SSID on my phone.

I guess this is a similar problem where you cannot configure some things in the node directly.

16. RandomName23

Is there a way to reboot the aimesh nodes from any UI, either web or iOS? Also, does anyone else have this problem where when they reboot only the main aimesh router they get slow speeds on the aimesh node until the aimesh node has been rebooted at which point full speeds are reestablished?

17. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

My 2xRT-AC86U 45717 AiMesh with SB6141 cable modem is on the main level with a 77' wireless backhaul spanning 2 drywalls, kitchen, 1 vinyl siding/drywall, and 1 brick/drywall. The house router covers three 1650 sq. ft. levels plus deck; the garage node covers 1750 sq. ft. plus deck; both cover a 2 acre lot. The node signal is 2-3 bars 5G. The SSIDs are separate for fixed channels and disabled Smart Connect.

This AiMesh was upgraded from 2xRT-AC68U with a node signal of 2-3 bars (backhaul dropped, no WiFi chipset Range Boost). The SSIDs were separate (Smart Connect is not supported on AC1900/AC68/AC66 B1).

Nominal cable ISP speeds of 100/10 speed test at 115/11 Mbps over an Intel Tri-Band Wireless-AC 18265 adapter connected at 866 Mbps to the node.

This is to share my baseline AiMesh install notes:
    o RT-AC68U firmware
    o RT-AC86U firmware
    o NVRAM and Factory Default Reset FAQ
    o WiFi Lessons
    o WiFi Insights
    o WiFi Speeds
    o WiFi Roaming
    o WiFi Troubleshooting, Addendum
    o AiMesh FAQs
    o AiMesh Install FAQ
    o AiMesh Smart Connect FAQ
    o Smart Connect: The Missing Manual
    o ASUS AiMesh = router (root node) + nodes (remote nodes)
    ASUS no longer specifies a limit for the number of nodes nor their topology; previously it was 4 star nodes max, or 3 star nodes plus 1 daisy-chain node max.
    o Mixing/Matching AiMesh-supported routers/firmware versions, wired/wireless backhauls, and star/daisy-chain backhaul topologies is permitted
    o Use the highest spec router as the root node (its firmware functionality should extend to the remote nodes)
    o Use a UPS for reliable power, especially when upgrading firmware

o Power OFF router and cable modem
    o Connect router WAN to cable modem (blue tape cable), and router LAN to PC; disconnect all other router LAN clients and USB devices
    o Power ON router; wait for it to settle (power cycle/drain)
    o Depress router Reset until Power LED flashes slowly; wait for it to settle (factory default reset)
    o Power ON cable modem; wait for it to settle
    o Browse to router.asus.com (192.168.1.1 or 192.168.50.1) and login to router GUI when required (default credentials are admin, admin)
    o Perform router Quick Setup (temp config for firmware download)
    o Check/Update router firmware to current version (select new firmware version link for pop-up release notes)
    o Perform router GUI Restore/Initialize; wait for it to settle (factory default reset w/initialization AFTER firmware upload)
    Reset/GUI Restore will factory default reset the NVRAM configuration
    GUI Restore w/Initialize will also clear logged data
    o Power OFF router and cable modem

o Repeat above for node(s) except keep power ON afterward for AiMesh install (do NOT configure node)
    o Disconnect node and place near router (~5'... not too close; 77' feet works here)

o Connect router WAN to cable modem (blue tape cable), and router LAN to PC; disconnect all other router LAN clients and USB devices
    o Power ON router; wait for it to settle
    o Power ON cable modem; wait for it to settle
    o Perform router Quick Setup and baseline configuration:
    - confirm Smart Connect is enabled (required for node band steering with same SSIDs)
    If using Smart Connect, then wireless mode, ch bandwidth, control ch, and extension ch will be adjusted automatically. If NOT using Smart Connect, then use separate SSIDs.
    - set 2.4 GHz WLAN to OE (OE24 for separate SSIDs, n-only, 20 MHz, ch 1, 6, or 11... these do not overlap at 20 MHz bandwidth... use the least congested), WPA2-Personal AES*
    - set 5.0 GHz WLAN to OE (also OE for separate SSIDs, n/ac mixed, 20/40/80 MHz, ch 157 MHz non-radar sensitive, Auto), WPA2-Personal AES*
    - do not hide SSIDs (will speed client connection)
    - confirm WPS is enabled (required by AiMesh to add nodes)
    - confirm both radios are operating (required by AiMesh to add nodes)
    - confirm Roaming Assistant is enabled per band (required for node steering)
    - disable Airtime Fairness per band (incompatible with some adapters)
    - disable Universal Beamforming per band (can cause instability/lower link rates with legacy adapters)
    - set 2.4/5.0 GHz guest WLANs to OE Guest (OE24 Guest and OE Guest for separate SSIDs), disable intranet access*
    - set router IP (192.168.1.1) and DHCP server pool (192.168.1.10-254; assign manual IPs within pool; assign client side static IPs outside pool)
    - disable UPnP* (enable UPnP or forward port(s) manually, if required)
    - set public DNS servers (Quad9 9.9.9.9 and 149.112.112.112, or 2620:fe::fe for IPv6)
    - set local Time Zone and DST settings
    - disable SIP Passthrough (has interfered with VoIP using port 5060)
    - confirm Telnet is disabled*
    - confirm SSH is disabled*
    - confirm Authentication Method is NOT set to HTTPS (may be required to add nodes)
    - confirm Web Access from WAN is ALWAYS disabled*
    - enable AiProtection\Network Protection and perform Router Security Assessment Scan*
    Read Administration\Privacy notice... Withdraw to disable all Trend Micro features.
    - search for and add AiMesh node(s) (node must be in factory default reset state; will automatically enable WPS)
    - disable WPS after adding node(s)*
    - if USB storage was attached, disable the UPnP Media Server to conserve router resources
    * Indicates security setting
    o Power OFF/ON router and browse to GRC Shields Up! to test UPnP and all common service ports vulnerability

o Deploy node(s) within range of the router's 5.0 GHz band, even if using a wired backhaul (alternate backhauls enable AiMesh self-healing), or daisy-chain node(s) beyond range of the router but within range of another node's 5.0 GHz band
    The Wireless Log lists the RSSI values and Tx/Rx rates for a node's wireless backhaul MACs. Adjust the wireless backhaul distance/path for maximum node signal of 4 bars and/or RSSI values greater/more positive than -68 dBm. Antennas tight and in facing "W" formation.
    o If possible, install wired backhauls from node WAN to router LAN for 1 Gbps full-duplex robustness
    o If necessary, configure node connection priority to force using a wired backhaul (required with some LAN switches that defeat Auto sensing of connection type)
    o If necessary, relocate node to adjust band coverage/overlap to affect node steering (not too near, not too far)
    o If necessary, adjust Roaming Assistant RSSI threshold per band to affect node steering (defaults are 2.4 GHz -55 dBm and 5.0 GHz -70 dBm)
    o If necessary, adjust Smart Connect rules to affect node band steering (not likely)

o Confirm the integrity of all cabling (Cat5e or higher)
    o Reboot network infrastructure/switches/all wired/wireless clients to clear any lingering conditions
    o If available, configure client side 'wireless properties' to improve client band steering; forget wireless connections to purge lingering conditions; update OEM wireless adapter drivers
    o If possible, disable unnecessary WiFi Direct APs such as in wireless printers and media devices that may contribute to WiFi interference (Chromecast guest mode, Roku RF Remote, Xbox, whatever)

o Hover cursor over the signal bar graph in the Client Status list to see signal details
    o Install Android WiFi Analyzer Classic app to roughly monitor ambient WiFi signals
    This app will measure less power for a WLAN when the device is connected to that WLAN.
    o Do NOT install Android/iOS ASUS Router app (nice app, except it exposes router credentials and has inadvertently enabled DDNS and remote Web access)

Some AiMesh issues:
    o Guest networks are not supported on nodes
    o Client lists may not be reliable
    o 45149 Trend Micro engine crashes
    o 45717 with Smart Connect logs excessive channel scanning and had DHCP lockup
    Disable Smart Connect, use separate SSIDs, and fix ch selection for manual control.

ASUS AiMesh has been a worthwhile upgrade for centralized management with automatic configuration of wireless backhauls, extended WiFi coverage, full speed wireless backhauls, improved same SSID roaming, and re-use of routers as nodes. Time will tell... WiFi can be problematic, wireless clients can be varied and stubborn, and AiMesh is a work-in-progress. When you upgrade AiMesh firmware, reconfigure your AiMesh from scratch AFTER a factory default reset until you trust otherwise.

OE

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  18. Quad80

Quad80 Regular Contributor

I just noticed the other day that the mesh seems to be showing up as individual clients on my client list, one for each wifi band, but under the same IP address. It didn't do this before, I haven't updated to the new firmware that was just updated, and I didn't change any settings. It didn't do this when I first set up the mesh, but for some reason it just started doing it. Is anyone else seeing this? Screenshots are attached, one from desktop, one from app, since both are showing this behavior.

Attached Files:

19. RandomName23

Just curious why the decision to use OpenDNS vs the built in trend micro? I have been using software at the client level but have been thinking about doing it at the router level.

20. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

My use of OpenDNS precedes my use of ASUS routers. I did not realize there was a Trend Micro option... but even so, I like to spread the love around. OpenDNS is reputable and it's not Google.

I only mentioned OpenDNS here to provide context... it's currently in my router and in my notes!

OE

SeattleJJFish, E3000 and HuskyHerder like this.