What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.20308 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My use of OpenDNS precedes my use of ASUS routers. I did not realize there was a Trend Micro option... but even so, I like to spread the love around. OpenDNS is reputable and it's not Google.

I only mentioned OpenDNS here to provide context... it's currently in my router and in my notes!

OE
Speak about OpenDNS, I had some problem with it mainly for CDN, it is not a fault of OpenDNS just most of web are not well config for OpenDNS, Taobao is one of it.

Well I'm sure that laundy list scared away the noobs and tire-kickers. :) What probably wasn't clear to them was the 3/4ths of those items were the author's personal preference and have nothing to do with AiMesh setup.

Has anyone been able to get email notifications to work from the Aiprotection section? I have hits in the 2 way intrusion detection but never receive any emails.
I'm getting Malicious Sites Blocking emails but not Two-Way IPS

Works well for me. Have all the Trend Micro stuff turned on with no ill effect.

If you want a DNS that filters malicious sites use Quad9 (9.9.9.9) See: https://www.globalcyberalliance.org/initiatives/quad9.html

Thank you for mentioning the new Quad9 (9.9.9.9) DNS service. It looks very promising and seems very fast. Here is an 11/2017 Security Now podcast with Steve Gibson discussing Quad9 at 1:28:30: https://twit.tv/shows/security-now/episodes/638?autostart=false

OE

Last edited:
@arthurlien

I just tried downloading the new firmware (3.0.0.4.384.20379) for my RT-AC3100 from the official Asus website at (https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC3100/HelpDesk_BIOS/). The file downloads fine, but I cannot open it, as I get a CRC error. I've downloaded it a half a dozen times now on two machines using three different browsers and am getting the same results. Is the file corrupted on the website? I have not tried to download and update via the update function in my UI settings, as I want to make sure the file posted correctly before I do anything. Can anyone else download and extract it without issue?

Additionally, I have not seen any response to two possible bugs that have been posted:

re: mesh nodes showing as clients multiple times in client list.
1) https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...-supported-products.44375/page-14#post-381539

re: WPS being enabled on nodes despite being disabled on router for 2.4 band.
2) https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...-supported-products.44375/page-10#post-379810

re: inability to manually update node's firmware by uploading from hard drive.
3) https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...l-supported-products.44375/page-2#post-378405

Would appreciate some insights on these as well.

Thanks.

edit: added some notes and another item to my list.

Last edited:
86U main router, 2x 68U nodes. 20308 all round.

Possible bug: If I enable Roaming Assistant, one of the nodes will crash (no internet etc) after about 48 hours. Disabling RA gives a stable operation.

For FW issue, could you try to use live update ? I think you can use live update first.

re: mesh nodes showing as clients multiple times in client list.
1) https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...-supported-products.44375/page-14#post-381539
investigate internally.

re: WPS being enabled on nodes despite being disabled on router for 2.4 band.
2) https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...-supported-products.44375/page-10#post-379810
The current design don't support to apply the WPS setting to RE.

re: inability to manually update node's firmware by uploading from hard drive.
3) https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...l-supported-products.44375/page-2#post-378405
You shall upload the FW to upgrade RE. Could you provide the screenshot ?

According to Chinese New Your, the FW issue should wait for we back to office.

For FW issue, could you try to use live update ? I think you can use live update first.
I'm going to hold off on live update until the main server is updated with a non-corrupt file. Call me paranoid, but last thing I want is for a corrupt firmware to brick or otherwise mess up my router. I'm not in a rush to update, just surprised it wasn't able to be downloaded/uncompressed from the official site.

investigate internally.
Awesome. Let me know if you need anything from me. This only just started happening out of nowhere with no changes to prompt it. Not sure why.

The current design don't support to apply the WPS setting to RE.
Does this mean that because WPS is still active on my 2.4 band on my node that it is still active? WPS is a security risk, so I want it off. I worry that by being unable to switch it off on the node, it can expose my network to known vulnerabilities, despite the router having it off on both bands.

You shall upload the FW to upgrade RE. Could you provide the screenshot ?
Once the new firmware is confirmed to be posted to Asus website correctly, I will see if I can get the node to manually update. However, as indicated in my original post, it allows me to select a file, but then just drops back to the "upload" page/pop up, but I can't click anything. Basically, it never seems to actually upload the firmware and just sits there until I do the live update. Not sure what a screenshot would add to this, honestly.

According to Chinese New Your, the FW issue should wait for we back to office.
I'll be on the look out for the correct file to be posted next week. Happy New Year, and thanks for all your continued efforts with the community. :)

Possible bug: If I enable Roaming Assistant, one of the nodes will crash (no internet etc) after about 48 hours. Disabling RA gives a stable operation.

Is the 68U branded T-Mobile?

Have you tried removing the node, hard reset it to factory defaults, and then adding it back into the AiMesh?

I've been wondering how well an AiMesh node handles power disturbances... time will tell.

OE

Last edited:

I have same issue, except I'm using just AC68U's as main and node, was only stable with RA off so went back to one main router and rest in AP mode until mesh is more reliable.

I have same issue, except I'm using just AC68U's as main and node, was only stable with RA off so went back to one main router and rest in AP mode until mesh is more reliable.
RA is used for client handoff between access points. Disabling it wouldn't give you a more stable operation, if it does you are only masking the symptoms. At any rate, Aimesh for me has been extremely stable so far. About the only major issue I have is that if I restart the main router I will slow speeds on the node until the node is restated at which point full speeds are back. A lot of these unstable issues really sound like lack of proper reset to factory defaults and clearing of nvram after applying the updated firmware.

RA is used for client handoff between access points. Disabling it wouldn't give you a more stable operation, if it does you are only masking the symptoms. At any rate, Aimesh for me has been extremely stable so far. About the only major issue I have is that if I restart the main router I will slow speeds on the node until the node is restated at which point full speeds are back. A lot of these unstable issues really sound like lack of proper reset to factory defaults and clearing of nvram after applying the updated firmware.
I know what RA does and what its for, I have 3 devices, 2 of which in same room as the node, that would not stay connected to the node unless RA disabled, hence why I went back to using AP's, with separate SSID's and have a little more control over the AP's and the said devices now stay connected.
All factory reset and NVRAM reset after coming from Merlin firmware.

New on the list but had question on AiMesh that I have setup. I have two AC3100 and one AC88U. I didnt have much luck with all three devices at the same time so went back to just the AC88U as the main connection and the AC3100 as a node. I am in a 2 story/3400 sq foot house. The AC88U is upstairs in a closet towards the front of the house. I have faced the device towards the back of the house as it seemed to work better that way. The AC3100 I put downstairs without much luck and was only getting about 70-100Mbps on a 1GB internet connection. I finally put the AC3100 upstairs but in the middle of the house and now getting around 250-300Mbps download and about 100Mbps upload which I thought would still be better. I thought about putting the other AC3100 towards the back of the house and face it towards the front but havent tried yet. There are three questions I have:

1. Does it matter or have any effect on how you face the devices? Like I said it seemed to help when I faced the device from front to back.
2. Is anyone having issues with 2.4Ghz devices showing up and disappearing when doing the device list? The 5Ghz devices do not seem to be showing this issue.
3. Are there any known issues with Apple Homekit? I seem to be having issues with some of the smart devices on this? The ones that I am having issues with are also 2.4Ghz so I wonder if it has to do with #2 above.
4. Since originally writing this I have hardwired the AC88U to the AC3100. I went in and changed Connectivity Priority to Ethernet Connection Type shows wired but now I am seeing Asus device under Wifi for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz when I do View List. Is this correct? Before hardwiring they were not showing up on the list.
I resolved #4 by removing and resetting the node and readding back to the AiMesh with network connected. Not sure if that is the way its supposed to work but figured I should report.

Any suggestions on the above? Thanks in advance and keep up the great work and knowledge transfer as this has been very helpful.

Last edited:
My thoughts:

1. Antenna placement is not a simple subject. You would do best to Google it and study up; then experiment.

2. The AiMesh client list seems to perform as you noted. I would be more concerned with how the clients actually perform.

3. Do you have non-homekit devices on 2.4GHz that do not have the same issues? Or maybe these issues relate to antenna placement.

That's the best I can do! :)

OE