What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.20308 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

click "check" first, if the asus server have newer version, you will see the "Update" button. This is Auto Update function. It will update main router and nodes.
This is what I did. I did click auto update and after the process one node was missed. As you can see in image the version is behind but the update tool reports running latest version. Therefore no "update" button.

This is what I did. I did click auto update and after the process one node was missed. As you can see in image the version is behind but the update tool reports running latest version. Therefore no "update" button.
Have you tried power cycling all routers/nodes?

Before you upgrade to 20308, which version you are using ?

Stupid question... when I install this firmware, followed by a factory reset... does that format the jffs also?

Sorry, this is current design.

@arthurlien , can you confirm if there any plans to fix the Network Map issues where clients are continually being added and removed from the list? I've seen this on the AC86U and the GT-AC5300 now. If I recall this happens on other models as well. This is a pretty critical feature that really helps to see what is going on in the network.

Thanks!

@arthurlien , can you confirm if there any plans to fix the Network Map issues where clients are continually being added and removed from the list? I've seen this on the AC86U and the GT-AC5300 now. If I recall this happens on other models as well. This is a pretty critical feature that really helps to see what is going on in the network.

Thanks!
Totally happens on the AC3100 as well. It just seems to randomly refresh itself when looking at it, though it does seem to have gotten better over the past few updates. It used to refresh every few seconds before. I've also noticed that some clients linger a bit longer on the list than they should, after disconnecting. Usually a manual refresh on the UI or the app will remove the offender, but not always. The list definitely needs to be fixed.

Thanks!

I like to add that Mobile Apps on iPhone has similar issue, and observed that Ethernet Clients often disappeared, especially when sort by AiMesh Devices.

Stupid question... when I install this firmware, followed by a factory reset... does that format the jffs also?
Choose the Initialize option:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac86u-administration-restore-vs-initialize.41944/#post-355999

This option is new with 382_18219. Initialize will also remove the existing content of the /jffs/.sys/ folder which contains various data such as the (forecoming) Notification Center, Web History, etc... Restore will only erase the nvram configuration.

Totally happens on the AC3100 as well. It just seems to randomly refresh itself when looking at it, though it does seem to have gotten better over the past few updates. It used to refresh every few seconds before. I've also noticed that some clients linger a bit longer on the list than they should, after disconnecting. Usually a manual refresh on the UI or the app will remove the offender, but not always. The list definitely needs to be fixed.

Happens on the RT-AC5300 as well. The lists are always different between the UI and the iOS app too. I have found the iOS app to be slightly more accurate and it gives you the option of seeing the client list broken up by Aimesh which I wish the UI had a similar view. In addition, one thing that is missing is that on the client list for Aimesh nodes it shows the signal strength of devices but it does not show the radio that the devices are connected to like the master client list does. So right under the signal strength for each client it should list 2.4, 5, 5-2 just like the master client list under the network map.

Seem to have a bug with this latest version of the firmware, which I didn't notice with 10007.
Following a power-cycle of both routers, when I roam with my Nexus 5 cellphone the phone seems to roam between the main router and the AIMesh node just fine. However, after about 12 hours if I try again, then the mesh node connects for a moment or two, then I'm kicked off back to the main router, which then kicks me back to the mesh, etc.
I'm not using Roaming Assistant at all. The problem is only temporarily resolved with a fresh power-cycle of both routers. A "soft" reboot doesn't seem to help.
I noticed in the system log that over the twelve hours there were several messages of "link down" with what appeared to be a reduction of link speed from 1000Mbps down to 100 Mbps, or in one case down to 10Mbps. I'm using an Ethernet backbone.

Seem to have a bug with this latest version of the firmware, which I didn't notice with 10007.
Following a power-cycle of both routers, when I roam with my Nexus 5 cellphone the phone seems to roam between the main router and the AIMesh node just fine. However, after about 12 hours if I try again, then the mesh node connects for a moment or two, then I'm kicked off back to the main router, which then kicks me back to the mesh, etc.
I'm not using Roaming Assistant at all. The problem is only temporarily resolved with a fresh power-cycle of both routers. A "soft" reboot doesn't seem to help.
I noticed in the system log that over the twelve hours there were several messages of "link down" with what appeared to be a reduction of link speed from 1000Mbps down to 100 Mbps, or in one case down to 10Mbps. I'm using an Ethernet backbone.

If you're not using Roaming Assist then you aren't using Aimesh properly and you won't experience seamless roaming of your devices.

If you're not using Roaming Assist then you aren't using Aimesh properly and you won't experience seamless roaming of your devices.
I enabled RA this afternoon, set the threshold for -70, and noticed that when my tablet would lose signal from the router in the basement, it didn't pick up the mesh. Turning it back off allowed for a much more seamless transfer. Not flawless, but far better than losing WiFi entirely and having to manually reconnect.

I dunno if that falls into the category of a "bug" or not, but if RA is meant to assist with seamless transfer, I got the opposite effect. I'm running two AC3100s with the 20308 firmware.

This isn't insanely critical for me, since I'm really only using the mesh to reach a corner in my bedroom and to extend to the yard. If it "freaks" for a second, it's not a big deal. Coverage is otherwise fine and I don't need to roam from one to the other very often.

EDIT: If RA is so critical to the mesh experience, why is it not on by default when you set up a mesh for the first time?

Last edited:
I found that using Roaming Assistant threw me immediately into the problem I'm reporting. I have considerable overlap between my mesh zones (because I can't adjust to power on any of the RT-AC86Us) and Roaming Assistant simply forces the disconnect/reconnect merry-go-round. Without it I've been roaming quite well until the latest firmware update. I can watch the switch between nodes using the Asus router app.

I found that using Roaming Assistant threw me immediately into the problem I'm reporting. I have considerable overlap between my mesh zones (because I can't adjust to power on any of the RT-AC86Us) and Roaming Assistant simply forces the disconnect/reconnect merry-go-round. Without it I've been roaming quite well until the latest firmware update. I can watch the switch between nodes using the Asus router app.

There is a slight difference here though. With Roaming Assistant turned off it is your device that is doing the switching between the nodes. Some devices handle it better than others. I would suspect if you had an iOS device you wouldn't see the switch happening as they tend to stick to their connected node longer even if there is a node with stronger signal available. This is where Aimesh and roaming assist is beneficial as it will detect the signal strength of the client connection and handle transitioning the client before the client may have done it on its own.

There is a slight difference here though. With Roaming Assistant turned off it is your device that is doing the switching between the nodes. Some devices handle it better than others. I would suspect if you had an iOS device you wouldn't see the switch happening as they tend to stick to their connected node longer even if there is a node with stronger signal available. This is where Aimesh and roaming assist is beneficial as it will detect the signal strength of the client connection and handle transitioning the client before the client may have done it on its own.
In my case, I wouldn't be surprised if my tablet just sucked at handling the transition, but sucks more with RA on. But are you saying you saying, if done correctly, you shouldn't notice what node you're on? Because I've watched my tablet switch, and it flips the WiFi icon off then on. It happens pretty quick usually, but if I'm watching Netflix on it when it happens (which I have set to only work on WiFi), it kills the connection and I have to restart it, because it goes over to cellular for that split second.