What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.20308 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes. AiMesh sets everything the same. I see no way to change the nodes independently.
If I had to guess this decision was in part made to not add to the wireless congestion that is typical in most homes. Take a typical subdivision in the US, most of the wireless channels are pretty heavily utilized by homes being in close proximity. Now imagine, every home starts having 2 or 3 routers all operating on different channels. So now instead of being able to find one "clear" channel for your devices to operate on, you have to find many clear channels. Having multiple wireless routers all operating on different channels is a good way to piss of your neighbors.

After thinking about this some more I think this probably has more to do with it. If you are using an ethernet backhaul than you should be free to use whatever channel you want for the node radios but if you are using a wireless backhaul you HAVE to use the same channel as the master the backhaul is connected to. From what we have seen though even if you are using an ethernet backhaul the Aimesh system still connects both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz backhauls between the master and the node. Since the backhauls HAVE to be on the same channel as the master if you only had a dual band setup this would be why everything is being set to the same channel, because even if you are using ethernet backhaul it is still requiring the wireless backhauls to be connected and those backhauls have to be on the same channel.

Last edited:
If I had to guess this decision was in part made to not add to the wireless congestion that is typical in most homes. Take a typical subdivision in the US, most of the wireless channels are pretty heavily utilized by homes being in close proximity. Now imagine, every home starts having 2 or 3 routers all operating on different channels. So now instead of being able to find one "clear" channel for your devices to operate on, you have to find many clear channels. Having multiple wireless routers all operating on different channels is a good way to piss of your neighbors.

After thinking about this some more I think this probably has more to do with it. If you are using an ethernet backhaul than you should be free to use whatever channel you want for the node radios but if you are using a wireless backhaul you HAVE to use the same channel as the master the backhaul is connected to. From what we have seen though even if you are using an ethernet backhaul the Aimesh system still connects both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz backhauls between the master and the node. Since the backhauls HAVE to be on the same channel as the master if you only had a dual band setup this would be why everything is being set to the same channel, because even if you are using ethernet backhaul it is still requiring the wireless backhauls to be connected and those backhauls have to be on the same channel.
It seems odd that they would still require the wireless backhauls to be connected when using Ethernet backhaul, but that appears to be the case like you said. That would also explain why there is no way to turn off a band on any mesh node as it's required for backhaul (though if the main router permits the band to be turned off then I think that there's still a bug here).

If I had to guess this decision was in part made to not add to the wireless congestion that is typical in most homes.

If they were so concerned about congestion, they would allow for the node's wifi to be disabled when there is an ethernet backhaul. The simpler explanation for the current design is that it's still evolving and what they have now is easier to implement.

A easier middle-step is to allow you to set the transmit power of each node to lessen interference with each other.

If they were so concerned about congestion, they would allow for the node's wifi to be disabled when there is an ethernet backhaul. The simpler explanation for the current design is that it's still evolving and what they have now is easier to implement.

A easier middle-step is to allow you to set the transmit power of each node to lessen interference with each other.
Agreed!

Anyone else having problems accessing NAS devices with this new update? I have two NAS devices I can access via their IP address to get to the admin pages, but can access the shared folders. This is a new issue with the latest firmware. I've tries rebooting my router and various PCs but no luck...

I'm running 3.0.0.4.384_20308 on a RT-AC88U in AIMesh mode with a RT-AC66UB1 runnibg 3.0.0.4.384_20308 as a node...

Really odd.

Now with this update firmware I can't connect to SMB to my hdd plugin to asus ac68u. My reinstal windows 10, can't map a network drive. Before was ok , now when I type \\192.168.1.1\folder it's only says that I can only connect using SMB1 and is not secure connection or somethong like that. In windows 10 I enable connection using SMB ver.1 iI connected with no problem but speed was so slow like 50% slower. I think for me looks like SMBver 2 or 3 in this new firmware is turned off or I dont know maybe for Asus ac68u is only problem, maybe for the rest is ok.

I guess I'm confused. Wouldn't disabling the node wifi defeat the purpose of a mesh wifi system (regardless of backhaul connection)?

Now with this update firmware I can't connect to SMB to my hdd plugin to asus ac68u. My reinstal windows 10, can't map a network drive. Before was ok , now when I type \\192.168.1.1\folder it's only says that I can only connect using SMB1 and is not secure connection or somethong like that. In windows 10 I enable connection using SMB ver.1 iI connected with no problem but speed was so slow like 50% slower. I think for me looks like SMBver 2 or 3 in this new firmware is turned off or I dont know maybe for Asus ac68u is only problem, maybe for the rest is ok.

Asus's firmware does not support SMBv2, their Samba version is too old.

a
Asus's firmware does not support SMBv2, their Samba version is too old.

AA that's why, I thought that they supoort but if not then ok. Then I need wait for new realease firmware to repair connection to SMB or maybe back to old ver. that smb was worked properly.

Hi all, has anyone tested if the speed limitation bug is still present? I noticed speeds were limited to around 300mbps during my testing of the previous firmware

Anyone here using a tri-band Aimesh network with a wireless backhaul actually get it to dedicate one of the 5Ghz bands to the backhaul? I get devices connecting to the node on both 5Ghz bands so it isn't dedicated.

AA that's why, I thought that they supoort but if not then ok. Then I need wait for new realease firmware to repair connection to SMB or maybe back to old ver. that smb was worked properly.

You can reinstall the SMBv1 client in Windows 10.

I am sure this is a simple question and may have been covered, but I can't find a clear answer:

If your main router is higher class (AC2900) and your AiMesh node is a lower class (AC1900) will you see a large drop in wireless speed while connected to the lower class node on devices that are able to take advantage of higher class speeds?

IE: Connected to the main router on the 5GHz band at 2167Mbps, move to a location where the AiMesh node is greater signal strength and takes over but only supports 1300Mbps on 5GHz band.

I know this is probably posted somewhere, but sorry I couldn't find it.

I have a standalone 68P running 382 (pre Mesh) firmware.

Are all newer (384) firmwares mesh-capable? There aren't two streams of firmwares - one mesh and one not-mesh?

If I install 384 is there an option to turn mesh on and off, for example if I only have one router?

If I only have the one router should I stick with 382 for now or does 384 run well in this configuration?

Thanks in advance.

I have 3 devices running AiMesh with 3x STA including Synology NAS all working perfectly with a little glitch. Maybe you can describe more on your configuration and how you connect things together so that we may help.

I am sure this is a simple question and may have been covered, but I can't find a clear answer:

If your main router is higher class (AC2900) and your AiMesh node is a lower class (AC1900) will you see a large drop in wireless speed while connected to the lower class node on devices that are able to take advantage of higher class speeds?

IE: Connected to the main router on the 5GHz band at 2167Mbps, move to a location where the AiMesh node is greater signal strength and takes over but only supports 1300Mbps on 5GHz
You answered your own question. You will only get speeds at which the node supports

I know this is probably posted somewhere, but sorry I couldn't find it.

I have a standalone 68P running 382 (pre Mesh) firmware.

Are all newer (384) firmwares mesh-capable? There aren't two streams of firmwares - one mesh and one not-mesh?

If I install 384 is there an option to turn mesh on and off, for example if I only have one router?

If I only have the one router should I stick with 382 for now or does 384 run well in this configuration?

Thanks in advance.
There is only one firmware stream. You don’t have to use the mesh features if you don’t want to.

Source code for AC5300 has been released, hoping merlin would include it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would encourage everyone here to take a minute to read this article and the discussion forum that it is linked to at the bottom. Some good information here that answers a lot of questions here that have been asked over and over. I think an important takeaway is that a lot of times in residential wifi less is more and at the end of the day the client is king.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/33180-how-to-fix-wi-fi-roaming

Last edited: