What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.20308 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

When Dual-Band Smart Connect is enabled, the same SSID is assigned to both bands, 2.4 and 5.0 GHz. Smart Connect is then suppose to steer your wireless client to connect to the preferred band. Your client will only see one SSID, but two identical SSIDs should be broadcasting. A WiFi Analyzer app can help you to see this.

OE
Ok yes found that out as well. Both freqs integrates into single SSID.
The only problem I’m am experiencing is with my laptop.
Seems it takes its own time to connect to Internet. I have to switch WiFi on and off many times.
Works intermittently. It’s a dell inspiron13. Good machine. No issues till now.
When it connects internet is reduced to dialup speeds.
My speeds are 110down and 15up. Other devices. iPhones printers etc work fine.
Although I do see some hesitation with webpages needing reloading on iOS.
Is it something I did or is it aimesh.

Ok yes found that out as well. Both freqs integrates into single SSID.
The only problem I’m am experiencing is with my laptop.
Seems it takes its own time to connect to Internet. I have to switch WiFi on and off many times.
Works intermittently. It’s a dell inspiron13. Good machine. No issues till now.
When it connects internet is reduced to dialup speeds.
My speeds are 110down and 15up. Other devices. iPhones printers etc work fine.
Although I do see some hesitation with webpages needing reloading on iOS.
Is it something I did or is it aimesh.

When you enable dual-band Smart Connect, the same SSID and pre-shared key is assigned to both bands. There are two SSIDs, each of the same name. A wireless client sees them as one SSID, but they remain discrete, not integrated. A dual-band WiFi Analyzer will list them as they are, two discrete bands with identical SSIDs.

Try forgetting the WiFi connection on the laptop and recreating it. The laptop WiFi adapter has settings... inspect those... the defaults should work. You could open it up and make sure the antenna is properly connected to the tiny/delicate WiFi card. You could uninstall/reinstall it in Device Manager. You could inspect Windows WiFi connection status to see how it is connecting... what link rate speed.

OE

Does ipv4 vs ipv6 do anything. My laptop shows only ipv4 connected. And is very very skow

IPv4 is ok.

What is the link rate speed?

OE

IPv4 is ok.

What is the link rate speed?

OE
Yay it works!

So i went into device manager and adapter advanced settings. I made some changes including uncheckin "let device power off adapter to conserve power"; set transmit to highest, changed channel to 11, set roaming aggressiveness to highest; got it off a dell forum.

Restart and it worked. ALso changed some setting to enable ipv6; now it shows to be connected to internet both ipv4 and 6.
Not sure where the link rate data is...
Big thanks to you OE!!!

Yay it works!

So i went into device manager and adapter advanced settings. I made some changes including uncheckin "let device power off adapter to conserve power"; set transmit to highest, changed channel to 11, set roaming aggressiveness to highest; got it off a dell forum.

Restart and it worked. ALso changed some setting to enable ipv6; now it shows to be connected to internet both ipv4 and 6.
Not sure where the link rate data is...
Big thanks to you OE!!!

I'm not sure about that channel setting... channel 11 is for the 2.4 GHz band, and would be set by the router. If ID your adapter in Device Manager and look it up, you can determine its specs to know how it can connect.

Find the Windows WiFi connection status dialog... it will list connection speed... that's the connection link rate. Knowing it can usually tell you what band and protocol you are connecting with.

OE

I'm not sure about that channel setting... channel 11 is for the 2.4 GHz band, and would be set by the router. If ID your adapter in Device Manager and look it up, you can determine its specs to know how it can connect.

Find the Windows WiFi connection status dialog... it will list connection speed... that's the connection link rate. Knowing it can usually tell you what band and protocol you are connecting with.

OE
dfv link rate speed in 866.7 mbps.. seems high... not sure if that is true...

also opened up the back vover and pulled out and reattached the wlan chip, cleaned the wires connecting.... instantly reconnected to wifi... earlier it used to take many "airplane mode" off and on maneuvers to reconnect to wifi so far o good... also difficult to edit this post whil e writing.. please excise/excuse errors !!

That's a 2 streams x 433 = 866 Mbps ac connection link rate... that's a good and fast 5.0 GHz connection. That suggests 2 antenna wires are connected to the WiFi card.

You can sort of check the WiFi connection stability by watching that link rate while banging on speedtest.net repeatedly. If the link rate holds steady at 866 or only drops a little, then I'd say you have a solid WiFi connection.

OE

That's a 2 streams x 433 = 866 Mbps ac connection link rate... that's a good and fast 5.0 GHz connection. That suggests 2 antenna wires are connected to the WiFi card.

You can sort of check the WiFi connection stability by watching that link rate while banging on speedtest.net repeatedly. If the link rate holds steady at 866 or only drops a little, then I'd say you have a solid WiFi connection.

OE
i did see 2 wires connected to wlan card-one black, one white-- they the ones we talking about?
also did the ookla banging many times-- that 866.7 never changed, not even the .7!
approx 118down and 12up

i did see 2 wires connected to wlan card-one black, one white-- they the ones we talking about?
also did the ookla banging many times-- that 866.7 never changed, not even the .7!
approx 118down and 12up

Yes, those are the two antenna wires.

Your WiFi is good... Dell integrates reliable PC hardware.

OE

There's a new firmware v3.0.0.4.384_45713. Has anyone tried it and noticed any performance improvement for Aimesh?

ok my blue cave frequently gives up on the aimesh and its started to become frustrating
i also dont seem to get to router.asus.com webpage when this happens.. nneds a hard reset...
whats going on..
starting to think of calling up asus help line now..
but for this expensive system there really should be no problems
annoyed

Hi all, I have 2x AC5300 and am using FW v3.0.0.4.384_45713. I noticed that it forces the 5.0ghz 2 band as backhaul for AiMesh but I have connected a backhaul through ethernet through powerline (due to the distance between the two routers).

Should I revert to the FW discussed in this thread that seems to be stable without forcing the 5.0ghz 2 band as backhaul on top of the ethernet backhaul I have? Are there any major bugs/issues that have not been patched by going back to AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.20308?

Hi all, I have 2x AC5300 and am using FW v3.0.0.4.384_45713. I noticed that it forces the 5.0ghz 2 band as backhaul for AiMesh but I have connected a backhaul through ethernet through powerline (due to the distance between the two routers).

Should I revert to the FW discussed in this thread that seems to be stable without forcing the 5.0ghz 2 band as backhaul on top of the ethernet backhaul I have? Are there any major bugs/issues that have not been patched by going back to AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.20308?

Did you force the connection priority of the aimesh node to Ethernet?

No, and most likely.

OE

Hello! Just wanted to say thanks for everyone sharing advice with their setups.

I had just went from a NetGear R6300 / R6200 setup as an AP with a wired 300ft+ connection.

Had the NetGear setup for a long time (like almost 9 years) and the 6200 kicked a few weeks back then the 6300 followed. I had replaced my 300ft run twice in the past 9 years or so due to buying cheap cable and it's due again. Going to change to direct bury and just FYI my current line does run in conduit but cheap cables sweat over time.

Anyways, fast forward and I decided on two of the RT-AC68U's to replace the NetGear based on reviews.

I have had very mixed results until today. Now mind you I have not yet replaced my 300ft run, but I am currently running the AiMesh feature and it did work.... very intermittently through lots of concrete and steel.

We have two acres and my shop sits near the house but it's all block construction and due to the layout the wifi has to pass through lots of obstructions. Hence why my Ethernet run is so long. The NetGear setup never worked very well without the cable but the overall coverage on two acres was pretty good with the AP and wired back haul.

So, my problem is / was devices would disconnect rather intermittently which is especially bad for my camera based (Nest) security system living in a rural area.

That is, until today when I found this forum and adjusted the settings as suggested by several members here.

I turned off beam forming on both bands and both types as well as the roaming. This seems to have helped quite a bit. I happen to be working from home today and so far I have not experienced any issues like previously. In fact no drops as of yet. (Knocks wood.)

I have had these routers about two weeks and was considering looking at other options but I think once I replace my wired back haul at this point I will be good to go.

I am just sharing so others can have a frame of reference and maybe a glimmer of hope to get their setups working. If I was to draw you a layout of how my setup is I am betting many of you would say it's impossible with the best of routers... well maybe except for the Ubiquity type devices... but it can be done with the right settings in the most challenging of scenarios.

Thanks for all the help. I will update if anything changes.

-Waldog

Hi.

Question.

I disabled 2.4 GHz signal on my main AC86U router, however it stays on on my AC68U node. How do I disable the 2.4 GHz signal there since you have practically no control over the node?