What's new

[OFFICIAL] RT-AC68U 3.0.0.4.382.18547

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sicario

Regular Contributor
ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.18547
Security fixed
- Fixed KRACK vulnerability
- Fixed CVE-2017-14491: DNS - 2 byte heap based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14492: DHCP - heap based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14493: DHCP - stack based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14494: DHCP - info leak
- Fixed CVE-2017-14495: DNS - OOM DoS
- Fixed CVE-2017-14496: DNS - DoS Integer underflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-13704 : Bug collision
- Fixed predictable session tokens, logged user IP validation, Logged-in information disclosure (special thanks for Blazej Adamczyk contribution)
- Fixed web GUI authorization vulnerabilities.
- Fixed AiCloud XSS vulnerabilities

New features
- HDD Hibernation
- URL filter black/white list
- Bandwidth limiter on guest network
- URL filter support https website

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 85bc6ac207bb0dde8ba04c6162640d62

Tested it yesterday when the firmware briefly appeared on Asus support page, then tested it again a few minutes ago. It's a complete mess, as the previous official version was, it literally destroys my download speed (PPPoE connection). However, this time the culprit is the Ai Protection engine.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6783950196 - with Ai Protection enabled
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6783952009 - without the Ai Protection

I am absolutely astonished by Asus engineers' incompetence: six months after they released a buggy firmware ( 3.0.0.4.380.7743) which also had this issue with slow download on PPPoE, they did it again, this time with an useless Ai Protection, as it also drastically reduces download speed.
I guess Merlin's 380.68_4 is the working firmware for this router, at least for my connection.

PPPoE is always problematic for Asus.

Installed this version on my RT-AC66U_B1. Works well! Can't see any improvements but at least it did no harm.

Same here. Decided to give this first, official release from Asus for the RT-AC68U a try while waiting for Merlin to offer his version. It works, so far, but I don't ask too much from my router.

It's a complete mess, as the previous official version was, it literally destroys my download speed (PPPoE connection). However, this time the culprit is the Ai Protection engine.

Im surprised you get those speeds at all.
Wan-lan speeds are noted at 754.5Mpbs

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/old-tools/charts/router/bar/74-wan-to-lan

If you enable any feature that would cause nat acceleration to disable the throughput will drastically reduce.
I imagine ai protection is a feature that would turn off nat acceleration, and the speed results you get is exactly what i would expect.

This router simply does not have the horsepower to do better. Even newer higher end routers with much faster cpus can not get close to gigabit if you enable any feature that causes hardware acceleration to disable.

If the feature requires deep packet inspection ofcourse the cpu is going to be under the pump.

Maybe the bug in older firmware was that ai protection did not enable with pppoe connections?

My router is AC1900P. After updating to this latest firmware my ram usage went from 60-65MB range to now 120MB. Is that normal or just me? Perhaps I should downgrade to previous version if new one offers nothing new.

My router is AC1900P. After updating to this latest firmware my ram usage went from 60-65MB range to now 120MB. Is that normal or just me? Perhaps I should downgrade to previous version if new one offers nothing new.

ram.jpg

Firmware: 3.0.0.4.382.18547
Tested models: AC68U, AC1900P
I'm gonna test AC88U, AC56U, AC66U if there are new firmwares, I don't see any of them yet.
I did this procedure.

1. Update firmware.
2. Save settings.
3. NVRAM clear
4. Restore settings.
5. Reboot.

Working fine.

Last edited:

Think a lot of the ram usage comes from the new trend micro engine, this is apparent on the newer models too (AC86U etc)

Im surprised you get those speeds at all.
Wan-lan speeds are noted at 754.5Mpbs

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/old-tools/charts/router/bar/74-wan-to-lan

If you enable any feature that would cause nat acceleration to disable the throughput will drastically reduce.
I imagine ai protection is a feature that would turn off nat acceleration, and the speed results you get is exactly what i would expect.

This router simply does not have the horsepower to do better. Even newer higher end routers with much faster cpus can not get close to gigabit if you enable any feature that causes hardware acceleration to disable.

If the feature requires deep packet inspection ofcourse the cpu is going to be under the pump.

Maybe the bug in older firmware was that ai protection did not enable with pppoe connections?

I have been using Ai Protection with all the options enabled since they introduced this feature and never had any problem with download speeds, they were always over 900 Mbps, no matter the firmware used. Firmware 3.0.0.4.380.7743 was the first that introduced these drastic speed drops. However, I don't remember them to be caused by the Ai Protection. Newest firmware, however, has them linked with Ai Protection enabled.
But to sum it up: no, this router has all the horsepower to handle both Ai Protection and hardware acceleration very well. At least it did it for the last 3 years. ;)

Think a lot of the ram usage comes from the new trend micro engine, this is apparent on the newer models too (AC86U etc)
I have noticed the same RAM use on my RT-AC66U B1. Was concerned as amount used goes up while reading or writing to attached USB drive. So I did a large file transfer from the USB drive and watched the RAM go up but did not max out. Had about 30 MEG free with an internet download at the same time. OK with me if it uses 120 MEG. RAM is to be used!

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

I use a OpenVPN client on my RT-AC68U to connect to PIA (using stock ASUS firmware).
This worked like a charm on 380.7378 FW, but with the new branch 382 I can't get the tunnel to connect.
Anyone else experienced this? If so, could you find a fix?

FWIW, I understood from a post by RMerlin that the ASUS OpenVPN implementation is closed source from this branch onwards, so I guess something may have changed in here that causes my VPN client issue.
When it is indeed caused by a change in ASUS' coding it may be the reason I needed to switch to Asuswrt-Merlin, although until now the stock firmware served me well.

I've reset the my AC1900P and the ram usage went back to 60MB just like before. However as soon as I turned on AiProtection ram usage would gone up to 120MB / 256MB. firmware version 3.0.0.4.382_18547

I've reset the my AC1900P and the ram usage went back to 60MB just like before. However as soon as I turned on AiProtection ram usage would gone up to 120MB / 256MB. firmware version 3.0.0.4.382_18547
Where in the 1900P GUI does it display the RAM graph?

I don't use AiProtection. I think AiProtection takes 60MB.

AiProtection, web & apps filters, traffic analyzer, adaptive qos and web history all seem to be broken for me. They all turn on but they don’t seem to be doing anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AiProtection, web & apps filters, traffic analyzer, adaptive qos and web history all seem to be broken for me. They all turn on but they don’t seem to be doing anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Except butchering your download speed. :)