What's new

ONQ network panel and Pre-wired house no idea if works

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Arsenalfc74

Occasional Visitor
I just moved into a house and it has cat 5e ethernet sockets in a lot of rooms and an ONQ panel in the utility room (see pictures)

I have tested them and all the sockets are dead and the previous owner never used it, it would be great to be able to use them but I have no idea if it is even operational or not and wondering if it is worth the effort to investigate. I am guessing the wiring should be fine unless someone has physically damaged out?

Anybody else have this unit?
51CAE5EC-61C9-402B-ADA9-EBBDD2C1C33C.jpeg

Attachments

• 8595BCAC-4AA6-4C5B-AD2C-2DC0E50DCE27.jpeg
    8595BCAC-4AA6-4C5B-AD2C-2DC0E50DCE27.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 274
  • 492B53F0-43B6-4CD3-B969-7C080AC6AD52.jpeg
    492B53F0-43B6-4CD3-B969-7C080AC6AD52.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 290
The upper panel appears to be a telecoms panel used for distributing telephone extensions. Similar to this one.

The lower panel appears to be a simple 110 to RJ45 patch panel like this one which can be used for data. So you could connect all these ports (directly or via a switch) to your router. Whether that's worthwhile for you is another matter.

And the coax can be used for MOCA to distribute ethernet to any connected room. Useful for Access Points for a wired backbone plus any other devices.

And the coax can be used for MOCA to distribute ethernet to any connected room. Useful for Access Points for a wired backbone plus any other devices.
Looking at the OP's past posts and his user name ;) he appears to be in the UK, so MOCA doesn't exist here. MOCA seems to only be a North American thing. I can't see a clear enough picture of the "coax" units but my guess is that they're either for CCTV or possibly satellite TV.

Thanks all!
Yes I think the coax was from a previous sky install.

Am going to try and feed it from one of the sockets and see if I can use a switch to get a signal to the others. It's a 3 story house so my main objective really is to try and get wired backhaul working on my mesh.

The upper panel appears to be a telecoms panel used for distributing telephone extensions. Similar to this one.

The lower panel appears to be a simple 110 to RJ45 patch panel like this one which can be used for data. So you could connect all these ports (directly or via a switch) to your router. Whether that's worthwhile for you is another matter.

also if he doesn’t want all those telecom ports he can add another 110 to rj45, pull the wires on the telecom panel, punch them down on the extra panel and get a pile more usable ethernet ports. I did that when we moved in to our house, as whoever built it seemed to think every room should have one ethernet port and one phone port.

Should be easy enough to find a suitable switch to fit inside that cabinet - but it looks like there’s NO power in there? In which case it may be a case using a POE powered switch and injecting power from elsewhere in the house

There is no power but it is adjacent to the fuse box which does have a single socket.

I have it working now although not all of the ethernets around the house seem to work. Not totally comfortable using that socket though so have actually been looking at a POE switch.

The socket has no switch which is unusual so it strikes me as one I maybe should not use plus I have to trail the cable from the fuse box to that panel which is a bit messy anyway.

POE w
There is no power but it is adjacent to the fuse box which does have a single socket.

I have it working now although not all of the ethernets around the house seem to work. Not totally comfortable using that socket though so have actually been looking at a POE switch.

The socket has no switch which is unusual so it strikes me as one I maybe should not use plus I have to trail the cable from the fuse box to that panel which is a bit messy anyway.

POE would be tidier for sure - should be plenty of room for a decent sized switch if you rip out those un-used coax distributors

hot tip - presuming the switch you get is metal cased (and most POE powered options are), and you can then use supermagnets to hold it to the metal cabinet, saves the cost and space

So I'd need to buy a POE switch and an injector right?

Also given the age of this wiring are there any safety issues at all feeding power through it? I am guessing as it will be such low voltage then no but I think this whole setup is probably 15 years old maybe even 20. I was surprised it was 5e cable and not just 5!

you need to make sure the switch is able to be powered via poe - most poe switches are aimed at powering other poe devices, those that can be remotely powered are thinner on the ground. Something like the d-link dgs-1100-05pd or the unifi usw-flex/flex-mini is what you need.

you’ll need an appropriate sized injector - the flex mini only pulls 2.5w, the flex 5w ( with no additional downstream loads ) - so the compact unifi af injector would be fine

As for cabling - I’ve run bigger loads over much older cable without issue

I have a TL-SG1005P V2 POE switch and TL-POE150s 15w injector arriving tomorrow.

It is a little confusing as most guides I have read seem to focus on powering CCTV cameras rather than my use case so I’m not sure I have got the right gear!

the sg1005p-v2 ONLY does power injection (to power other devices using POE) it does not support being powered itself over POE. So it’s not going to work.

As I said POE _powered_ switches are not that common - options I know of are the d-link and unifi models (5 and 8 port), and some of the cisco catalyst micro series (the have ones designed for in-wall installation which obviously HAVE to support being powered over POE - but also some desktop models in the same range that also support it - presumably because it’s the same switch internals in a desktop case)

if you can’t find the d-link or unifi the netgear gs-105pe is POE powered (and POE _only_ - no dc option), also thetp-link tl-sg2008 can be POE powered ( not to be confused with the tl-sg2008p which can’t be POE powered)

I found this one which seems to fit the bill. The injector I have purchased also looks to work or I could return the injector and just use the sg1005p to provide the power. I will return one of them.

Thanks, really appreciate the help.

If you can use the other switch elsewhere in the house then using it to also power the gs-108t makes a lot of sense

Shot in the dark but after setting this up I initially used a new Linksys velop MX4200 (2 units) but actually deciced that my Nighthawk RAX120 placed on the 1st floor would likely be just as good and maybe better. Thing is whjen I plug it back in it no longer works. I always use the same SSID so the the Linksys had the same SSID that I was using on the Nighthawk but when I disconnect the linksys and reconmnect the NIghhawk it looks like it is no longer getting an IP from my Virgin hub and no combo of powering offf//on the router of virgin hub fixes it.

Could the switch be doing something funky here with the IP addresses? Never had this issue before when trying new kit.

Is the Virgin Hub in modem mode or router mode? If it's in modem mode it must be connected directly to the Nighthawk's (in router mode) WAN port. It should not go via a switch. It would help if you could post a diagram showing how all of your devices are connected together.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!