What's new

OpenVPN Client + Custom Configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sir3lit

Occasional Visitor
Evening,

Recently switch to Asuswrt-Merlin and imported an OpenVPN configuration file. This config is rather large...

Is there a way to edit how long the "Custom Configuration" box can hold? It seems to be limited to 4,207 characters. I need it to be in the range of 17,000 characters
Note: I have a lot of "route x.x.x.x 255.255.255.255" lines

If anyone knows a way to edit this, or if I can edit the OpenVPN profile via ssh to add the rest. Please let me know.

OR

Did the configuration file fully import, and its just now shown in the text box?

Thanks,
~Sir3lit

Evening,

Recently switch to Asuswrt-Merlin and imported an OpenVPN configuration file. This config is rather large...

Is there a way to edit how long the "Custom Configuration" box can hold? It seems to be limited to 4,207 characters. I need it to be in the range of 17,000 characters
Note: I have a lot of "route x.x.x.x 255.255.255.255" lines

If anyone knows a way to edit this, or if I can edit the OpenVPN profile via ssh to add the rest. Please let me know.

OR

Did the configuration file fully import, and its just now shown in the text box?

Thanks,
~Sir3lit
Use the appropriate .postconf file; i.e. append your route commands etc. to the config.

NOTE: It is actually a script to allow you to customise any of the config directives.

e.g. 'openvpnclient1.postconf' for VPN Client #1

see Wiki

Custom config files · RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng Wiki (github.com)

Last edited:
Are these being routed to the VPN or WAN? Because if it's the VPN, then realize that you can abbreviate those route directives as ...

Code:
route 1.2.3.4
route 2.3.4.5

... since 255.255.255.255 vpn_gateway is the default.

It's also possible sometimes to consolidate such IPs into a network specification using CIDR notation (e.g., 199.199.199.0/24) to save yet more space.

Because there is a limit to the custom config field. And it's based on the available space in /jffs, where the contents of the custom config field are stored. And the input field itself I'm sure has a display limit as well. If the import has truncated your data, and assuming it hasn't been broken by its sheer size, I would assume it actually did exhaust available space in /jffs.

P.S. The certs, keys, custom config field, etc., are specifically stored under /jffs/openvpn

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!