What's new

OpenVPN on both cores?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ASadani

With the advancements made with OpenVPN, I still see just the one CPU active when over VPN. Is there a way to enable the usage of both cores? The Internet speed I have is 500 Mbps down where as with VPN I can at best achieve 140 Mbps on the AC86u.

Back when I was into dd-wrt some of us would tweak our io configs to force certain functions over certain cores such as separate the 2.4ghz to 1 cpu and 5ghz to the other cpu but honestly the juice mostly was not worth the squeeze.
Im sure the same thing can be done in these routers but you would have to delve into that.

Some functions such as vpn and cake qos are single core dependent so the only good way to get an increase in speed would be to have a more powerful processor.

You could look into trying a cypher with less intense needs for the vpn or even better, offload the vpn function to a pc.

*update*
That router you have has a built in encryption accelerator so its almost as good as it will get.
Have you validated your vpn provider (assuming you are speaking of being a vpn client) has the ability to support faster connections in your area?
vpn terminations closer to you in theory are faster than ones farther away.
Not all vpn providers provide high speeds like 150Mbps+

Whatever you try, good luck.

With the advancements made with OpenVPN, I still see just the one CPU active when over VPN. Is there a way to enable the usage of both cores? The Internet speed I have is 500 Mbps down where as with VPN I can at best achieve 140 Mbps on the AC86u.

Ovpn in only single threaded, per this reply. this whole thread will give you some good information on this subject.

Ovpn in only single threaded, per this reply. this whole thread will give you some good information on this subject.

Thanks for your message. I don't know what factor has changed but I used to achieve over 200 Mbps on VPN with Merlin, however, after the latest firmware update, I am stuck at about 120 Mbps. There must have been a setting change somewhere. It's not an issue but just an observation.

Thanks for your message. I don't know what factor has changed but I used to achieve over 200 Mbps on VPN with Merlin, however, after the latest firmware update, I am stuck at about 120 Mbps. There must have been a setting change somewhere. It's not an issue but just an observation.
A few years ago, many of us experienced VPN slowness after upgrading firmware. A factory reset followed by a manual reconfig fixed it.

A few years ago, many of us experienced VPN slowness after upgrading firmware. A factory reset followed by a manual reconfig fixed it.
I have done that multiple times. I have even made my node a master and the master the node. Still the same. I wish I had some way to go back to the old config. I also don't think it is the firmware as the speed reduced when I did a factory reset on the same firmware so it must be some kind of setting

I have done that multiple times. I have even made my node a master and the master the node. Still the same. I wish I had some way to go back to the old config. I also don't think it is the firmware as the speed reduced when I did a factory reset on the same firmware so it must be some kind of setting
I converted an old Windows 7 PC to a pfSense router a few years back because I needed improved VPN speed that I could get from Asus routers at the time. Use the GCM ciphers if your provider supports it. Or the CHACHA20 if available.

I converted an old Windows 7 PC to a pfSense router a few years back because I needed improved VPN speed that I could get from Asus routers at the time. Use the GCM ciphers if your provider supports it. Or the CHACHA20 if available.
The problem with this is that most of the VPN connections in the place I live are shaped. Openweb, wireguard works for few days and then get shaped. Only a few work. but I would like to give this a try