What's new

OpenVPN Policy base routing by Application

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mustafer

New Around Here
I have been using openvpn client on ASUS Merlin Asus86u router and using a script to route specific ports to a vpn. It has been working well except every once in a while vpn slows down the connection and when I use Microsoft teams my audio is not clear. My connection is 500 mbps up and 100mbps down and teams works fine when VPN is off or I refresh the VPN connection

is it possible to use policy based routing by application? For example FaceTime and Microsoft Teams both use udp port 3478 to 3491, I want to allow teams to go through the and FaceTime through the VPN.

Or is there a script to restart the VPN every other day?

Are your connection speeds accurate? 500Mbps up, 100Mbps down?

You may want to try the latest VPN Alpha's that are available. They may fix your issue natively.

Is it possible to use policy based routing by application? For example FaceTime and Microsoft Teams both use udp port 3478 to 3491, I want to allow teams to go through the and FaceTime through the VPN.
Usings scripts, you can selectively route ports via a VPN.
see Example 3

Or is there a script to restart the VPN every other day?

You could create a cron job to issue
Code:
service restart_vpnclientX
where X is the VPN client instance.

Thanks, i am using something similar to example 3.

but some applications use the same port range, my question was is it possible to redirect based on application?

so FaceTime only goes through vpn not Teams both use UDP 3878-3891