What's new

OpenVPN setup complications

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OBENZ

Regular Contributor
So I have 2 86u and one belkin routers. My main 86u is connected through my ISP modem so all the routing and dhcp is done through the first 86u. The second 86u is in the living room and that's where most of my devices are and that's the wifi router I use throughout the house except for my bedroom which I use the Belkin for. Anywho I tried openvpn client on my main 86u router using smartdnsproxy as my VPN provider. All is good, I only need VPN for 2 devices my rpi and my phone. I configured the client and added strict policy rules for the 2 devices, so far so good. Only issue I'm having is when I try to get to my rpi from outside I cant. I have port forwarding set up as I wasnt using openvpn before. How can I resolve this ?

How can I resolve this ?
Probably you can't. You're routing all of the rpi traffic through the VPN. Therefore if you want to connect to it from the outside you would have to connect via the VPN provider's external IP address. This would require port forwarding to be setup by the VPN provider to your VPN client. Some VPN providers offer this as an additional service.

Probably you can't. You're routing all of the rpi traffic through the VPN. Therefore if you want to connect to it from the outside you would have to connect via the VPN provider's external IP address. This would require port forwarding to be setup by the VPN provider to your VPN client. Some VPN providers offer this as an additional service.
Oh I see, didn't think it would be this complicated

What sort of remote access to the rpi do you need?
Only need to access the ssh and transmission port to manage my downloads. Also new issue arised from my phone being behind the VPN, on my home network I can't control my Sonos system :(

Only need to access the ssh and transmission port to manage my downloads.

Rather than permanently exposing those ports to the internet why not setup the OpenVPN server. That way you could securely connect to your network when needed and administer things from the LAN-side.

Rather than permanently exposing those ports to the internet why not setup the OpenVPN server. That way you could securely connect to your network when needed and administer things from the LAN-side.
Good idea so run both a VPN server and a VPN client ?