1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Opinion's on the Asus RT-AC87

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Maverick3837, May 26, 2019.

1. Maverick3837

Maverick3837 New Around Here

I have been using the RT-AC87 for about 5 years now, and it has always been a rock solid router in my opinion. My friend has the opportunity to purchase one, but as with anything, technology moves fast, and for the price of an RT-AC87, there are other routers out there with better performance for the price. What are your personal opinions of the RT-AC87, and is it worth even considering buying that router anymore due to it's age. The only reason I ask, is because of the success that I have personally had with it, and how fun the Merlin Firmware is! :) His router useage is about like mine. Movie streaming, web browsing, nothing a cheapo router probably couldn't handle.

2. ApexRon

ApexRon Senior Member

If your current router meets all your needs, I would not buy new. Historically, I have only purchased new routers because my devices had newer capability that my current router did not support. I used to take one of my older routers on vacation with me when the hotels had bad WiFi. Now, I don't even do that since all my devices that I have with me use a VPN service and hotel WiFi is usually pretty darn good.

Maverick3837 likes this.
  3. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

I have never recommended the RT-AC87U and I would find it hard to recommend it today.

There are much better alternatives like the RT-AC66U version 'B' for example, which is essentially an updated RT-AC68U with full RMerlin support.

The best Asus router to buy today is undoubtedly the RT-AC86U, but that will depend on your friends budget and also on how quickly he wants to move to final (not draft) AX WiFi 6 routers (hardware and software) sometime in 2020. If he just wants a good router today, the '66U 'B' will be more than enough. If he wants a great router today and for the next few years, the RT-AC86U is an easy recommendation.

Dave Parker and Maverick3837 like this.
  4. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Don't buy a new RT-AC87U in 2019. That router is getting close to being EOL most likely, as Quantenna hasn't provided updates for the 5 GHz subsystem for close to two years now.

Maverick3837 likes this.
  5. El Mariachi

El Mariachi Occasional Visitor

As an owner of this model myself, steer clear. The 5Gz channel is flaky at best, everything else is okay though. There are much more up to date models and reasonably priced which I second to above such as the RT-AC66U B, RT-AC86U or if you want bang for your buck get the old trusty RT-AC68U.

Maverick3837 likes this.
  6. elorimer

elorimer Very Senior Member

Seems to me it depends on what "opportunity to buy" means, i.e price. I see Newegg has refurb'd 87U and 56Us for $130, which seems less compelling than the 86U at $180.

OT: When did Newegg turn into the wild west? I see they have Asus routers listed at prices all over the place. Need an N66 for $300?

Maverick3837 likes this.
  7. Smokindog

Smokindog Regular Contributor

Newegg went "marketplace" a while back. I always make sure I check "newegg as seller" these days. That said, their customer service, which used to be top notch, is rapidly slipping into the stereotypical scripted CSR that promise the world and delivers little. I've been disappointed of late and have had to actually leverage my credit card company to complete refunds on returns. :(

Maverick3837 likes this.