What's new

Orbi temperature and overlapping issues.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Carnagerover

Hi all,

I bought this system to improve my signal at one end of my house and hopefully give me some range into my back garden, I live in the UK in a 3 bedroom semi detached house so its not massive, however I have struggled to get a signal on one side of my house and the garden so I bought the Orbi router and satellite combo.

At first I struggled to get it to work properly as I had the router installed in the corner of my house where the internet comes in and the other Orbi on the second floor of the house at the other end as far away as possible nearest the window onto my back garden. However this did not give me good results on the garden so I moved it downstairs into the kitchen, that has patio doors onto the garden. This is makes the satellite only one room away from the router however.

When on the garden I could not get decent speeds when using either of the locations listed above, although the satellite had the blue light on the top, I then took the satellite into the summerhouse and plugged it in there. Now my speeds are full all over the back garden, I have a full wifi signal in the garden and summerhouse so I can only assume that before I was just too close even at the furthest position in my house.

My only worry now is temperature at night, looking in the manual it says that the low is 0c, at the moment it is warmer than that at night at around 8c but the problem I have now is that when the satellite is in the house it does nothing to improve speed in the back garden, but its not ideal having to think about moving the satellite indoors if it is going to be a cold night. The summerhouse is wood and glass but I bet its only a degree or so warmer than outside at night.

Am I better just using the Orbi when I know if am going to be in the garden, this is a bit of a pain but I don't want to damage it.

Logging into the satellite this morning it displays the following message.

Move your Orbi satellite closer to your Orbi router to improve the connection.

It still however gives me my full 70Mbps and it was blue when I placed it so not sure why that has changed.

Last edited:
As long as Orbi is dry, you should be fine. Just take it indoors during winter if you're really worried.

Don't worry about the "move it closer" message. If you are getting the performance you want, that's what counts.

As long as Orbi is dry, you should be fine. Just take it indoors during winter if you're really worried.

Don't worry about the "move it closer" message. If you are getting the performance you want, that's what counts.

Thank you for the reply, it will always be dry, in the winter there might be a bit of condensation on the windows but that's about it.

I tried the satellite again upstairs but as it is straight against a brick wall onto the garden so it tends to only offer 2.4ghz outside.

I thought I might have to use two in the house even though it isn't massive but they do provide a lot of coverage.

Has anyone had any trouble with IOS devices with the Orbi, on my iPad I am seeing timeouts on the internet and issues streaming Plex since I changed to the Orbi. I have a full Wifi connection and my internet is coming through at full speed.

Has anyone had any trouble with IOS devices with the Orbi, on my iPad I am seeing timeouts on the internet and issues streaming Plex since I changed to the Orbi. I have a full Wifi connection and my internet is coming through at full speed.

Nope, we have an iPhone 6 and an iPhone 6S. Along with a couple of iPads...no problems with the Orbi. I stream TV shows on my iPad occasionally, again, no problems. It's been up for 5 weeks now, since I last took it down to try out new firmware for the R7800. I'll be doing that again soon. The Orbi just keeps working for me, no problems with Android or iOS, or anything else *smile*. 70Mbps ISP download speed isn't a problem for the Orbi. Works well on the 200Mbps that we have here.

Nope, we have an iPhone 6 and an iPhone 6S. Along with a couple of iPads...no problems with the Orbi. I stream TV shows on my iPad occasionally, again, no problems. It's been up for 5 weeks now, since I last took it down to try out new firmware for the R7800. I'll be doing that again soon. The Orbi just keeps working for me, no problems with Android or iOS, or anything else *smile*. 70Mbps ISP download speed isn't a problem for the Orbi. Works well on the 200Mbps that we have here.

I ended up returning the Orbi, looking at the netgear forums there are plenty of threads on iOS issues but I couldn't fix mine. I was getting random disconnects from the internet even though I had full wifi.

I went with Google Wifi as a replacement and although it didn't have the issues with iOS it didn't have the range to get me 5ghz outside. In the uk you only get a two pack for some reason, yes our homes are smaller but they are brick?

With one puck in the lounge and one in the summerhouse I was getting 9Mbps on 2.4ghz outside, as soon as the brick wall is introduced the 5ghz just gives up.

I have now moved away from mesh and Orbi type systems and gone back to a standard router. I bought the Synology RT2600, it gives me 55Mbps on the iPad in the summerhouse, the iPhone doesn't fair as well but is around 30Mbps

The reason I went for the Synology is that I like the parental controls that it offers and the router gui is way above anything else I've used. I took a gamble on the 5ghz reach but it appears to have paid off so far.

As long as it remains stable I can't see myself swapping back to the Orbi

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!