What's new

Outlook client can't connect via VPN on asus routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DarthOps

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

This is the second Asus router I've had the exact same problem with but when I connect to my work's network via VPN my outlook desktop client will just not connect. It just says "Trying to Connect" and then "Disconnected" in Outlook.

I've tried using RT-AC5300 (Merlin and Non-Merlin firmware) and now my RT-AX88U using the standard Asus firmware.

When I switched to try my vodafone router that came with my broadband it works completely fine and the desktop Outlook client connects so it must be an issue with the Asus routers.

Can anyone help me to solve this please as it's a real pain!

Thanks,

Darthy

What and where is the VPN client. Is it on your PC? Is it a Cisco client?

What email server is Outlook trying to connect to? A corporate email server on your work's network or some other server hosting your personal email?

Is the PC your own personal machine or one supplied by the company?

What and where is the VPN client. Is it on your PC? Is it a Cisco client?

What email server is Outlook trying to connect to? A corporate email server on your work's network or some other server hosting your personal email?

Is the PC your own personal machine or one supplied by the company?

Hi,

The VPN client is on my work windows laptop and appears under Dial-up and VPN when I select the network settings on the laptop. It doesn't appear to be like any of the Cisco ones I've used before. Maybe just a VPN tunnel the company has set up rather than an off the shelf solution (not my area of expertise!)

Outlook is trying to connect to the corporate server however it looks like it might be an outlook.office365.com address when I dig into the settings in outlook.

It's a work laptop that I'm using as well.

Thanks again,

Darthy

I can't think of any obvious reason why the Vodafone router would be any different from the Asus'. If I had to guess I'd say it's a DNS issue or an auto-proxy issue.

I think in the first instance I'd contact your work's IT department and see what they say.