What's new

Configure ASUS OpenVPN server to allow client-client access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sunactive

Occasional Visitor
So quick question. I currently have at my main house an OpenVPN server up and running and then an always up client connection from my weekend house and another Asus router to the OpenVPN server on my main house router. Works great and from either of those locations I can access all local machines on both subnets.

However, while I am traveling, I am also using a separate OpenVPN client installed on my computer to connect into my main house VPN server. That works well in terms of my ability to then connect to any machine on the LAN at my main house, but what I cannot do is get to any remote machine on the weekend house LAN.

So my main house LAN is 192.168.0.0/24, and my weekend house LAN is 192.168.86.0/24.

Do I have to add some sort of static route to the table in my server at the main house to pass any packets on my other remote client to pass traffic to 192.168.86.0/24? If so, any particular way I should set this up? I admit I am very rusty on my networking skills at this point (amazed I got the first part of this working so well).

Thanks in advance.

So quick question. I currently have at my main house an OpenVPN server up and running and then an always up client connection from my weekend house and another Asus router to the OpenVPN server on my main house router. Works great and from either of those locations I can access all local machines on both subnets.

However, while I am traveling, I am also using a separate OpenVPN client installed on my computer to connect into my main house VPN server. That works well in terms of my ability to then connect to any machine on the LAN at my main house, but what I cannot do is get to any remote machine on the weekend house LAN.

So my main house LAN is 192.168.0.0/24, and my weekend house LAN is 192.168.86.0/24.

Do I have to add some sort of static route to the table in my server at the main house to pass any packets on my other remote client to pass traffic to 192.168.86.0/24? If so, any particular way I should set this up? I admit I am very rusty on my networking skills at this point (amazed I got the first part of this working so well).

Thanks in advance.
To just add on, I did enable the client<->client option in advanced on the openVPN server and that allows me to ping my weekend house router from my client connection on my MacOS device, but other than pinging it, I cannot otherwise access that router nor then do I see any other machine behind the router. Feels like I still need to force a static route so that any packets going to the 192.168.86.X subnet are routed through 192.168.86.1...?

Ok so finally I was able to figure out I need to push the route to my client, which now seems to work, albeit I can't get to the main router page which when I try to go to it shows "not found" but other servers in the lan like my synology is found. So almost 100% there, but not quite! Not sure why even though I can ping the router I can't get to its login page and login from my computer. Something may be messed up with caching I am suspecting.