What's new

Overclocking underclocks BogoMIPS? Pls HELP!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Perhaps you are right, still... +10 Mbps is better than noMbps.
Any idea on what speeds one can get on a hardware AES enabled router trough OVPN? an AC86U for example?

I had overclocked my AC68U to 1200MHz and with OpenVPN it would top out around 75~85Mbps...

Switching to AC86U, I can get nearly 200 Mbps which almost matching my native ISP speed of 250 Mbps. With even higher ISP speed, based on this article here https://www.skadligkod.se/vpn/vpn-speedtest-asus-rt-ac86u-merlin-firmware/ it tops out around 250Mbps which is faster than most people's internet access natively.. For real speed freaks, Wireguard can top out around 430Mbps https://www.skadligkod.se/vpn/wireguard-speed-tests-on-asus-rt-ac86u/ if you have a fat enough internet pipe.

All above are based on AC86U with dual core ARM 64 bit processor.

Last edited:
Any idea on what speeds one can get on a hardware AES enabled router trough OVPN? an AC86U for example?

I've seen 270Mbps with АЕS-256, but not too many servers will send you data with >200Mbps.

I had overclocked my AC68U to 1200MHz and with OpenVPN it would top out around 110~120Mbps...

Sure? I had RT-AC1900P before with 1.4GHz CPU. It couldn't reach above 70Mbps no matter what.

Sure? I had RT-AC1900P before with 1.4GHz CPU. It couldn't reach above 70Mbps no matter what.

I concur - previously rocked a 68u. At stock, OVPN speeds were a paltry ~35mbps. Overclocked to 1.4ghz and it jumped to ~50mbps, and CPU utilisation was rather high when downloading Linux ISO's (yes, that's what we use a VPN for). On my 86u OVPN at stock settings you get ~200mbps.

I've hit just over 300 Mbps with my 86U using AES-128-GCM. More info here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/openvpn-performance-of-the-rt-ac86u.41217/

edit: PIA is a little congested right now on the DL side but.....
1596675977743.png

Last edited:
With AiProtection enabled RT-AC86U could reach about 180Mbps with OVPN. AiProtection limits the max speed.

That is awesome! I switched my cipher to AES-128-GCM as well, could you share your other options? fast-io used?

Yes, I use fast-io.

I tried different combinations of the buffers..send only, receive only, both, local, push and didn't notice anything drastic. I currently am not using any buffer options.

sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
push "sndbuf 524288"
push "rcvbuf 524288"

Note that when using the GCM ciphers you can set Auth digest to none as it is part of the cipher.

Guys, I did it! :cool: Switched to my other 68U router (I had two - this one is actually AC68W), and apparently this older one had CFE 1.0.2.0, which allowed me to easily overclock to 1400,800. (mind you it runs stable at 75 degrees, for I have not yet mounted the fan cooled case onto it. The other 68U with CFE v.3.x.x I now use as a mesh extender at stock frequencies. I'm happy with my current setup.

Attachments

• scr-sht_20-08-08_11.27.04.png
    scr-sht_20-08-08_11.27.04.png
    285.7 KB · Views: 179
One more question: is the RAM on the 68U dual channel? If it is, then 1600/800 frequencies would be optimal - RAM running at same speed as processor, or am I wrong?

RT-AC68U can no longer be overclocked by nvram, which is a feature only available in firmware 378 and older. If you use nvram overclocking, the router firmware will ignore your changes.

For RT-AC68U shipped after 2019, they have a brand new CFE, so you can’t use the CFE command to overclock. This will only bring about 10% of the CPU.

However, you can use CFE that can be overclocked through CFE downgrade, but BCM4709 cannot use BCM4708 CFE, you need to be especially careful about this.

BTW, the CFE command is very dangerous, because it will modify your CFE, and you cannot restore the changes you made by resetting. If your frequency was 800 before and you change it to 1000, this will be an extra character. So guess what will happen?

Edit: the above information has not been verified by asus or any developer, it is just my experience, and there may be not exactly right.