What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JTnola

Regular Contributor
Question:

If I set an OVPN client’s “Accept DNS configuration” settings to DISABLED

and set “Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel” to VPN Director (policy rules)

… will the DNS queries associated with those devices for which VPN director is set to enable use of the VPN client interface be generated using my router’s DNS settings (including DoT) and then get directed through the VPN tunnel? Or do rules generated by VPN director apply only to other (non-DNS) traffic??

thank you!

Last edited:
Question:

If I set an OVPN client’s
“Accept DNS configuration” settings to DISABLED

and set
“Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel” to VPN Director (policy rules)

… will the DNS queries associated with those devices for which
VPN director is set to enable use of the VPN client interface be generated using my router’s DNS settings (including DoT) and then get directed through the VPN tunnel? Or do rules generated by VPN director apply only to other (non-DNS) traffic??

thank you!

I don’t see the answer to my question. I’m probably overlooking it/failing to understand. Could you point me more specifically to the info you’re suggesting that I reference?

Part of the problem is that your post is white text on a white background. No one knows it's there unless they happen to look really closely (or perhaps using a dark theme)!

Since you disabled "Accept DNS configuration" on the OpenVPN client, DNSMasq will NOT be reconfigured w/ the VPN provider's push'd DNS servers. That would normally mean a DNS leak, except you apparently have DoT enabled on the WAN. That traffic will also be routed through the WAN, for all clients, whether bound to the WAN or VPN. But since that DNS is encrypted and secure, it doesn't much matter. NOT unless you insist on your ISP being unaware you're using DoT. If you do, then you can explicitly bind the DoT servers to the VPN w/ the VPN Director.

P.S. My DNS monitoring utility would make this obvious.

I don’t see the answer to my question. I’m probably overlooking it/failing to understand. Could you point me more specifically to the info you’re suggesting that I reference?
If you post look like this I take it for a joke. Impossible to understand what your question is.......
Screenshot 2022-07-03 at 07-27-06 OVPN DNS & Policy-based routing question.png

To see the text, you have to highlight it by clicking and dragging your cursor in the post.
Yes, I know but that is a terrible post and chance to get help is relative small. If you want help at least you have to put some effort on it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!