What's new

P2P blocking with Parental Control

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ErikAN

New Around Here
Hi guys.I have 2 questions if anyone can answer me.
How safe is Parental Control with P2P blocking on RTAX88U with Merlin firmware( i will use a Synology with Docker and rtorrentvpn installed ( this is 100% safe.If vpn go down the downloads / uploads are stopped) but i will want like a backup if i don't know anything will happen.I have made some tests and i have seen download is not starting when the p2p is blocked on parental control , but i want to ask if you guys have more experience with this.
Second question is if i can global block p2p in my network ( LAN ) not just every client how it is on GUI.
Thanks and all the best.

Last edited:
Hi guys.I have 2 questions if anyone can answer me.
How safe is Parental Control with P2P blocking on RTAX88U with Merlin firmware( i will use a Synology with Docker and rtorrentvpn installed ( this is 100% safe.If vpn go down the downloads / uploads are stopped) but i will want like a backup if i don't know anything will happen.I have made some tests and i have seen download is not starting when the p2p is blocked on parental control , but i want to ask if you guys have more experience with this.
Second question is if i can global block p2p in my network ( LAN ) not just every client how it is on GUI.
Thanks and all the best.

Does the parental control feature claim to block p2p traffic? I’ve never looked at it but sounds too good to be true. Blocking P2P is difficult near impossible. It can use any port. There are too many torrent tracker domains to block and peers can even be found without trackers using DHT. I’ve seen universities struggle to block p2p. Reconsider your approach. If you want an extra layer of protection for stopping leaks if the synology VPN client and “killswitch” crash then all I can suggest is turning on the VPN client on the router and force redirect all NAS traffic through that. VPN through VPN. It’s better than hoping for a filter to kick in.

Does the parental control feature claim to block p2p traffic? I’ve never looked at it but sounds too good to be true. Blocking P2P is difficult near impossible. It can use any port. There are too many torrent tracker domains to block and peers can even be found without trackers using DHT. I’ve seen universities struggle to block p2p. Reconsider your approach. If you want an extra layer of protection for stopping leaks if the synology VPN client and “killswitch” crash then all I can suggest is turning on the VPN client on the router and force redirect all NAS traffic through that. VPN through VPN. It’s better than hoping for a filter to kick in.

To be honest is working.I have test it with free torrents like Ubuntu torrent download and some other ones.True it's reporting ip to traker on magnets torrents but it won't start the download.
If i will go vpn thru vpn the download speed will be to slow ( yes but safer ).
I hope Merlin or someone who know good the firmware can answer if p2p blocking is working or not.