What's new

Parental controls keeps switching itself off

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sven Eric

New Around Here
Hi All,

i have an ASUS RT-AX88U with 384.17_0 loaded. The toggle for setting (any) parental control keeps switching back to off after a few hours. The same goes for individual devices that I have blocked. After a few hours, they get re-enabled again. The router is not rebooting or anything, what do i need to do, to make these settings 'stick'?

Thanks guys!

Sven
The Netherlands

P.S. I'm the only one with access to the device, my kids do not have the password or would know how to use it.

Hi, only for testing set new strong password (only for your eyes), and wait for the strange behavior.

Hi, only for testing set new strong password (only for your eyes), and wait for the strange behavior.
I appreciate the suggestion but the password is strong (generated by keepass) I don’t even know it. Only browser to have stored the password is my pc which requires 2FA to unlock. I experienced similar behavior with the ASUS original firmware and was hoping Merlin would fix it.

I appreciate the suggestion but the password is strong (generated by keepass) I don’t even know it. Only browser to have stored the password is my pc which requires 2FA to unlock. I experienced similar behavior with the ASUS original firmware and was hoping Merlin would fix it.
Ok,
I have the AC5300 with Merlin 384.17 and "Time Scheduling" ON (for some months) without any problem. Now I activate "Web & Apps Filters" and I will see what happens.

Ok,
I have the AC5300 with Merlin 384.17 and "Time Scheduling" ON (for some months) without any problem. Now I activate "Web & Apps Filters" and I will see what happens.
Thanks,

because I have the issue with the original firmware I think it’s an issue with the device itself. I know you can ssh into the device. Is this a switch you van set through the commandline? Because then I would just run that every hour or so using a cronjob.

Thanks,

because I have the issue with the original firmware I think it’s an issue with the device itself. I know you can ssh into the device. Is this a switch you van set through the commandline? Because then I would just run that every hour or so using a cronjob.

Its not the hardware, I had a similar issue when I brought my AX88U. Scheduling was broken.

I loaded Merlin firmware on it and started using the router. Problem was that I didn't restore to factory default after I uploaded the new firmware.

Scheduling and parental controls work for me now. So I would suggest you restore to factory default and don't upload any previous settings, start afresh.

Its not the hardware, I had a similar issue when I brought my AX88U. Scheduling was broken.

I loaded Merlin firmware on it and started using the router. Problem was that I didn't restore to factory default after I uploaded the new firmware.

Scheduling and parental controls work for me now. So I would suggest you restore to factory default and don't upload any previous settings, start afresh.

That sounds like a plan. Do I factory reset from Merlin or do a “30 second press every button-hardware”-one?

That sounds like a plan. Do I factory reset from Merlin or do a “30 second press every button-hardware”-one?

As long as you have the latest Merlin Firmware loaded, just go to...

Administration > Restore/Save/Upload setting > Factory Default 'Restore'

And make sure you tick the box to Initialize all the settings.

As long as you have the latest Merlin Firmware loaded, just go to...

Administration > Restore/Save/Upload setting > Factory Default 'Restore'

And make sure you tick the box to Initialize all the settings.

Again, thanks for your suggestions and help, but that was a whole lotta work, for a whole lotta nothing. :) I took the steps mentioned above, and then put back all my settings by hand (I'm not using the standard .50.1 address, so that's a bit of a bother). Anyway, I setup the parental controls again. The schedule I set up still there this morning, but the "Enable time scheduling" toggle was set back to OFF. I'm at a loss here...

Addendum: just noticed that CPU is at 75 degrees C. That seems high, right?

Last edited:
Again, thanks for your suggestions and help, but that was a whole lotta work, for a whole lotta nothing. :) I took the steps mentioned above, and then put back all my settings by hand (I'm not using the standard .50.1 address, so that's a bit of a bother). Anyway, I setup the parental controls again. The schedule I set up still there this morning, but the "Enable time scheduling" toggle was set back to OFF. I'm at a loss here...

It took me a while to set mine back up, I have a few devices with static IPs and CCTV cameras. Although it fixed the issues I had

Addendum: just noticed that CPU is at 75 degrees C. That seems high, right?

Seems high. My AX88U runs at 63 degrees C. Ambient is about 23 degrees C.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!