What's new

Possible replacement for bridged R7000 setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ppilot

Regular Contributor
So as I posted in another thread, I've had two R7000's bridged for about two years with few problems up until about two months ago. Basically the router R7000 5g band started to have significant drop-offs in signal strength to the point my WMC extender through the other R7000 wasn't able get good enough of a signal to watch tv. I've tried resetting the router multiple times and even replaced the power supply, so it seems like the router is dying.

Currently I am considering either just getting another R7000 ($120 right now at costc0) or just bite the bullet and get the Orbi for $323 but that's likely overkill for our 2,000 sq ft house. I am just tired of dealing with my router issues so I would be willing to spend the extra money if Orbi is that easy to deal with.

Thoughts?

Sounds like your AC Adapter is giving out. See if you can get a replacement adapter first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like your AC Adapter is giving out. See if you can get a replacement adapter first.

So that came up about two months ago and I tested it with an AC adapter from a new R7000 (which i returned) which seemed to fix the problem. So I bought a replacement off Amazon but the one I received never really worked great until last week when things degraded to what I described in the OP. I tried testing out another AC unit from a new R7000 and it worked initially but things are basically unusable again on the 5g band (which is what my other R700 is using) which made me think it was the router itself.

Something just crossed my mind.....would it be possible there's an issue with the Power strip that's causing the problems?

So that came up about two months ago and I tested it with an AC adapter from a new R7000 (which i returned) which seemed to fix the problem. So I bought a replacement off Amazon but the one I received never really worked great until last week when things degraded to what I described in the OP. I tried testing out another AC unit from a new R7000 and it worked initially but things are basically unusable again on the 5g band (which is what my other R700 is using) which made me think it was the router itself.

Something just crossed my mind.....would it be possible there's an issue with the Power strip that's causing the problems?

Hard to say if you have already eliminated the adapter. Try plugging it straight into the wall.
Sometimes surge protectors can cause issues as well but that is not as common nowadays.

Hard to say if you have already eliminated the adapter. Try plugging it straight into the wall.
Sometimes surge protectors can cause issues as well but that is not as common nowadays.

Will do.....also decided to pounce on the $329 orbi deal on Amazon to see how it does and go from there.

It is likely the PSU you bought from amazon was terrible, has happened to me as well as a lot of people selling on sites like ebay, amazon and such dont sell stuff thats up to standard.

It is possible to find a decent PSU from amazon but very very difficult. What i do is first check the slot type used by the device than go to a network supplier (basically a supplier that mostly sells network related gear and stuff to set them up) and buy a power brick from there. This is what i did with my mikrotik CCR as the people making PSUs for them dont do a good job but the power brick is a great replacement and i can easily have 2 of those connected to my router as the board has 2 inputs.

Its harder with a supplier as you will need to search through a few to find one that isnt overpricing than once you have its just a matter of finding a PSU with the right slot, voltage and sufficient amps (more amps is better). What makes a supplier different than a retailier is that they are dedicated to selling a particular line of products and that they charge VAT seperately.

The PSU doesnt need to look the same, even a laptop PSU would do if the voltage is right and that it supplies enough amps and fits. Make sure you check your device or the original PSU for the ratings you need.

I think that you'll like the Orbi. I have a 2000 sq. ft. house as well, and had some drop off in signal due to the fact that my router is in one end of my house. And the living room where we spend a lot of time on mobile devices is at the other end. The Orbi is perfect for that, gives me full coverage for my whole house, no drop off in the living room, since the satellite is out in those parts. With no problem with the router unit being received strongly enough to sync with the satellite unit. You'll like the Orbi if you end up with it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!