What's new

Powerline networking adapters and extension cords...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RogerSC

Part of the Furniture
I need to plug in a powerline adapter into an outlet inside a panel box on a wall. All I can fit in the box is an AV600 powerline adapter. The AV600 adapter works fine, but I believe that it's slowing down my powerline network. In order to plug in an AV2000 powerline adapter, which is what I have elsewhere, I would need a short extension cord, like about a one foot long extension cord (or shorter than that if could find one). I'm wondering if that short of an extension cord would affect the powerline networking speed that I would see?

Or is there another way of solving this problem that I'm not aware of? If I could find something that simply raises the virtual surface of the outlet an inch or two, that would work as well.

Anyone out there tried this or have any idea if the extension cord idea would be helpful or not?

Thanks!

I do see 6 inch extension cords out there now. Guess I could just try them with the powerline networking adapters that I have now, but was hoping to hear from someone that's already done that *smile*.

I do see 6 inch extension cords out there now. Guess I could just try them with the powerline networking adapters that I have now, but was hoping to hear from someone that's already done that *smile*.
Three prong adapter(s) will "raise" the outlet and be less likely to affect throughput.

Cord length acts like a high frequency filter and reduces frequencies that can be used, which in turn lowers throughput.

You just have to try it to see if/how it affects you.

I've used 1 ft three-prong extension cords with powerline adapters. I have no idea if performance was affected since I don't use powerline for anything that needs high bandwidth.

Well, I also have a Plan B. I have a couple of MoCA 1.1 adapters that I retired when I got faster wireless. They did give me about 85Mbps (solid) at the TV, which is more than I need for UHD streaming. Just re-tested them, and they don't work at this point, my cable modem doesn't make contact with Comcast central when they're hooked up. I'm pretty convinced that this is due to the nice TV amplifier that Comcast added at the entry box. I need to get hold of Comcast and see if I can't get them to replace that amplifier with a MoCA-compatible one. Oh yeah, when I was playing with MoCA 2.0 some time ago, I found that it only allowed my modem to do it's job if I bypassed the amplifier.

Going to Comcast is a longer road, though...getting them to do anything properly the first time never happens. If I can get MoCA 1.1 working, might be time to try MoCA 2.0 again *smile*. Maybe I have a shot though, since this will be Comcast's second try at putting in an amplifier.

Is it an amplifier splitter or just an amp? Unless you're trying to go to the other side of the amp it shouldn't prevent you from using MoCA. If it's an amplified splitter, I believe that it needs to support MoCA frequencies but you should be able to talk between the different outputs.

A few other things:

1. MoCA power/transmission loss is based on the square of the number of outputs from any given amp, so say, an eight port amp can really mess up your signal.

2. You may want to add a POE filter to improve your signal.

3. Rather than dealing with Comcast you may want to install your own amp.

Is it an amplifier splitter or just an amp? Unless you're trying to go to the other side of the amp it shouldn't prevent you from using MoCA. If it's an amplified splitter, I believe that it needs to support MoCA frequencies but you should be able to talk between the different outputs.

Yes, it's an amplified splitter. I believe that it's 5 ports.

A few other things:

1. MoCA power/transmission loss is based on the square of the number of outputs from any given amp, so say, an eight port amp can really mess up your signal.

2. You may want to add a POE filter to improve your signal.

3. Rather than dealing with Comcast you may want to install your own amp.

Well, Comcast's coming out here tomorrow to try and deal with it. We'll see how they do. I have hopes that since some of their products are based on MoCA, that they can be helpful. Hope springs eternal *smile*.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!