What's new

PPPoE Disconnects

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WFO

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I'm having an issue I'm hoping someone might be able to help with. I'm currently running Merlin 380.68 on a RT-AC5300 and every 24 hours my PPPoE connection is dropping then renegotiating. I've tried working with my ISP and they couldn't find anything on their end, their logs show that I am disconnecting as if I had powered off my router. I'm fairly sure it's something in the router as whenever I upgrade my firmware the timing of when the connection drops changes to be 24 hours based on when the firmware update completed. I've tried moving to a different VDSL card at my provider and changed out my modem and problem still persists. Below I'll attach what I see in the logs every 24 hours.

I've tried resetting to factory default and the issue still happens even if I make no changes to the router config other than to put in my PPPoE information.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks,
WFO

Sep 3 12:26:53 pppd[792]: No response to 10 echo-requests
Sep 3 12:26:53 pppd[792]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Sep 3 12:26:53 pppd[792]: Connect time 1439.8 minutes.
Sep 3 12:26:53 pppd[792]: Sent 760662684 bytes, received 3640923967 bytes.
Sep 3 12:26:53 miniupnpd[19596]: Failed to get IP for interface ppp0
Sep 3 12:26:53 miniupnpd[19596]: SendNATPMPPublicAddressChangeNotification: cannot get public IP address, stopping
Sep 3 12:26:53 WAN_Connection: Fail to connect with some issues.
Sep 3 12:26:53 DualWAN: skip single wan wan_led_control - WANRED off
Sep 3 12:26:53 stop_nat_rules: apply the redirect_rules!
Sep 3 12:26:59 pppd[792]: Connection terminated.
Sep 3 12:26:59 pppd[792]: Sent PADT
Sep 3 12:26:59 pppd[792]: Modem hangup
Sep 3 12:27:09 pppd[792]: PPP session is 58217 (0xe369)
Sep 3 12:27:09 pppd[792]: Connected to [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx] via interface eth0
Sep 3 12:27:09 pppd[792]: Using interface ppp0
Sep 3 12:27:09 pppd[792]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Sep 3 12:27:09 pppd[792]: PAP authentication succeeded
Sep 3 12:27:09 pppd[792]: peer from calling number [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx] authorized

ETA: Router model

which provider, and are you using an isp modem, is it in bridge mode.

I'm using a small local provider, I'm in rural Alaska so we don't have any of the big names. My modem is from my ISP, a ZyXEL VMG3925-B10A in bridge mode.

ETA: Brought my modem back to my provider and had them update it to the latest firmware and problem still persists.

Have you considered trying a third party modem for vdsl to see if that helps? Also do you see your public ip in your routers main page under wan ip.

I never thought of trying that option, I just assumed I had to use what my provider supported. Yes, my router picks up my public IP and I can use VPN, DDNS ect. through it without a problem.

That reminds me that every time this happens my router is apparently requesting a new IP address when it renegotiates PPPoE instead of using the old IP. That started when this issue popped up, I used to keep the same address for months at a time even with reboots, flashes etc.

Im using vdsl2 my self here in Australia, I just bridge my vdsl modem with my 88u and mac clone my ISP modem to get VoIP working.

I'll have to explore that option, that possibility hadn't even crossed my mind. Thanks for the idea.

No problem is your router on a reboot schedule, I have mine set to one 5am reboot it helps with the ipoe(dhcp on the ISP end) changes

No, I don't have it scheduled to reboot. I had thought something I installed like ab-solution had possibly installed a cron job or something causing this but it still does this with a factory reset and no usb drives or anything connected.

I'm starting to think it's your ISP dropping the dhcp lease for the mean time use the router Mac clone field and enter the mac address of your ISP modem, some ISP are notorious for dropping third party hardware since they want you to use their crippled boxes

If my ISP is dropping the lease they can't figure out why. They show that my router just stops responding. With both ends of the connection showing that I think your modem idea has some merit, I'll be looking into that one.

If it's something on my ISP's end they will work with me to correct it, we are both just stumped on it though.

I use a dreytek Vigor 130, but I'm not sure if it meets your needs, but it's a start if you're looking for a modem.