What's new

Private Internet Access encyption

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cyclone6

Occasional Visitor
I'm interested in using PIA with an openVPN connection on my router. I currently have a RT-N66U, and its speed while connected to PIA is only around 10 Mbps. I was told on this forum quite some time ago this is because of the RT-N66U's slow(er) CPU.

So my question is simply what is the fastest Asus router (Merlin compatible) I can buy for the encryption? And what kind of speed can I hope to get from it?

Thank you. Sorry about my ignorance. I figure I may as well go to those who know!

I'm interested in using PIA with an openVPN connection on my router. I currently have a RT-N66U, and its speed while connected to PIA is only around 10 Mbps. I was told on this forum quite some time ago this is because of the RT-N66U's slow(er) CPU.

So my question is simply what is the fastest Asus router (Merlin compatible) I can buy for the encryption? And what kind of speed can I hope to get from it?

Thank you. Sorry about my ignorance. I figure I may as well go to those who know!
I'm pretty sure and others will back me up in recommending if you have the money the AC86U.

The RT-AC86U is the only one with hardware-based crypto acceleration.

I also had a 66u and got 10Mbps using PAI. I now have an RT-AC3100 and get 50Mbps. Not sure what an 86U will get you but since it has better processor I would think you’ll get more.

I was able to get around 60 Mbps with my 3100 and with my 86U I get 200+ when using PIA with the following settings:
Data encryption: AES-128-CBC
Data authentication: SHA1
Connection type: UDP

I was able to get around 60 Mbps with my 3100 and with my 86U I get 200+ when using PIA with the following settings:
Data encryption: AES-128-CBC
Data authentication: SHA1
Connection type: UDP
Wow that’s a big difference from the 3100

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!