What's new

QNAP Adds High-End SOHO NAS To Its 3-Bay RAID 5 Line-Up

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
qnap-ts-351.jpg
Targeting the small office/home office crowd, QNAP’s 3-bay TS-351 is powered by an Intel Celeron J1800 dual-core 2.41 GHz processor (burst up to 2.58 GHz) and available in 2 GB and 4 GB dual-channel DDR3L models (both upgradable to 8 GB).

The TS-351 also comes with two M.2 PCIe slots supporting NVME SSDs that, along with using QNAP’s QTS 4.3.5 OS’ Qtier technology, allows for storage auto-tiering for IOPS-intensive operations. Optionally, the HDD third bay also supports SSD caching and SATA 6GB/s (the first two bays are SATA 3GB/s),but requires an additional 2.5” HDD/SSD tray.

Other than the three hot-swappable drive bays and the two M.2 PCIe slots, additional interfaces include one GbE LAN port, two USB 3.0 ports, two USB 2.0 ports, one 1080p HDMI output, and one 3.5mm line-out jack. The TS-351 also uses H.264 hardware decoding, and supports features including Plex Media Server, snapshots, surveillance, and virtualization/containerization applications.

The QNAP TS-351 is available now, however pricing wasn’t available. We’ll update this article with prices once we hear back from QNAP.

J1800 and DDR3 RAM - this is pretty old hardware IMHO. That CPU was released in 2013, and is marked as "discontinued" by Intel.

J1800 and DDR3 RAM - this is pretty old hardware IMHO. That CPU was released in 2013, and is marked as "discontinued" by Intel.

I was just about to post about the fact that this SoC is EOL - https://ark.intel.com/products/78866/Intel-Celeron-Processor-J1800-1M-Cache-up-to-2-58-GHz-
According to an ex colleague (yes, I worked at QNAP at one point in time), Intel is supposed to remove the EOL status of this SoC. It would seem that Intel doesn't mind selling old crap hardware...
The NVMe slots are gimped as well, since the SoC only supports a total of four PCIe lanes, each NVMe slot only sports a single PCIe lane. I don't see anyone wasting money on an NVMe SSD as a cache in a NAS like this, but even if you did, you'd get a quarter of the performance from the SSD.
On top of the SATA and NVMe issues there's no acceleration for encryption in this SoC. I also doubt there are good drives for the HDMI output. This will be another poorly supported model by QNAP imho.
QNAP's online store in Taiwan already lists both models for sale https://store.qnap.com/QNAP/1406050026/1406050001/1809260001/
Including the 5% sales tax in Taiwan, you're looking at US$323 for the 2GB SKU and US$361 for the 4GB SKU.
I'd rather get the TS-431P then, as it's cheaper than the 2GB SKU and has four proper drive bays, or save up a bit more and buy something proper, not a "new" product based on five year old hardware.

Baytrail can't really take advantage of fast storage (the NVME drives)...

This is an odd product - doesn't offer much more than a 2 disk, and limited compared to a 4 bay... and 3 disks on RAID5 is one of the more risky RAID configs, IMHO...

It's QNAP, so the HW build and quality should be very good, and of course, QTS is one of the better platforms in the NAS market.

According to an ex colleague (yes, I worked at QNAP at one point in time), Intel is supposed to remove the EOL status of this SoC. It would seem that Intel doesn't mind selling old crap hardware...

That's odd. My initial thought was that QNAP were just trying to get rid of old CPU inventories.

There's nothing "high end" about a NAS running on that CPU IMHO. I would call that mid-range (with the ARM low power stuff covering the low-end).

This product is indeed a head scratcher on various fronts.