What's new

QNAP Adds More Powerful Thunderbolt 2 NAS Family

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
QNAP has announced the release of its TVS-x82T next-generation Thunderbolt 2 NAS series.
The three models (12, 8 and 4 bays) are all designed for very high storage performance and access bandwidth with Intel multi-core processors and 10GbE and Thunderbolt 2 connections.
qnap_x82t_series.jpg

The top end TVS-1282T is available with a 3.4 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 CPU and 32 GB of DDR4 RAM or a 3.6 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 CPU and 16 GB of DDR4 RAM. Storage options include two M.2 slots for SSD storage, four 2.5" bays for SSD drives and eight bays that hold 2.5" or 3.5" solid state or eSATA drives.

Connectivity options for the TVS-1282T include two Thunderbolt 2, two 10GbE and four Gigabit Ethernet ports. Other ports include five USB 3.0, two HDMI 1.4b, one HDMI 2.0 and analog audio in and output.
tvs_1282t.png

The mid-range TVS-882T comes in one model with a 3.6 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 CPU and 16 GB of DDR4 RAM. Storage options include two M.2 slots for SSD storage, two 2.5" bays for SSD drives and six bays that hold 2.5" or 3.5" solid state or eSATA drives. Port complement is the same as the TVS-1282T.

The entry-level (if you can call it that) TVS-682T is powered by a 3.7 GHz dual-core Intel Core i3-6100 CPU and 8 GB of DDR4 RAM. It has the same port and storage options as the six-bay TVS-882T, except only four 2.5"/3.5" drive bays.

All models can be expanded to a total of 32 GB of RAM and more storage via five or eight-bay Thunderbolt 2 connected storage enclosures.

This series is obvious designed for high-performance storage, video editing and VM applications, supported by QNAP's Network and Virtual switch app, Virtualization Station and Container Station.

The TVS-X82T series will be available soon in the U.S. Pricing was not provided.

I need to read up more on these - with the Thunderbolt connectivity it makes things very interesting - wonder if thunderbolt is direct attached storage, or iSCSI over a thunderbolt network connection...

cool

It's DAS. The NASes support simultaneous DAS and networked connections. Check the Network Traffic distribution section on the product page.

They've been doing some very nice product lately across the entire range - and QTS 4.2.1 brought in quite a bit of features, more than one would consider as a "point release".