What's new

QOS and Device Specific Bandwith Limiting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hozan22788

New Around Here
Hi, I'm using Asuswrt Merlin firmware 384.6 on my Asus AC5300.

I'm using the Adaptive QOS with priority set for Gaming (on a Playstation 4) but I discovered that every evening when a few iOS devices in my house is sync-ing their iCloud, I still get very bad lag due to the upload bandwith being taken by the iOS devices.

Under the Adaptive QOS setting page, I have set the upload bandwith to be limited to about 40% of what I'm getting from my ISP (3Mb/s from a max of 7Mb/s) as this gives me the least amount of bufferbloat. On this setting, gaming performance works really well as long as none of the iOS devices are syncing to iCloud. But again, when the devices are syncing to iCloud, I'm getting very bad lag on my gaming.

As a temporary solution, I have manually limit upload bandwith on the iOS devices to 0.5Mb/s each and that does take care of the issue somewhat, but I don't think the Adaptive QOS packet prioritization is being implemented on this mode.

I want to ask if it's possible to have both Adaptive QOS and manual bandwith limiter for each device active.

Thank you

IMG_0171B537FDFD-2.jpeg

What you're experience is more than likely cause by bufferbloat more-so than any lack of QoS classing or bandwidth limiting, especially on a 7Mb line (as is the case with 99% of small, flat SOHO networks with lower-bandwidth WAN links).

Merlin should have fq_codel built in as a qdisc option. Turn it on, fill in your numbers for Mb/s download and upload, then clear out all other QoS classes and limits, and you should be good to go.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest Seems to be the best speed test I have found so far. I am using FreshJR_QOS adaptive qos. I have a 5Mb down/1 Mb up DSL Connection. After playing with the Numbers I have found that 4.9 down and 0.85 up are the best for my DSL connection when it comes to buffer bloat. I rarely have any issues now. I have to Say that this adaptive qos with custom scripts is the best I have seen/used so far.

What you're experience is more than likely cause by bufferbloat more-so than any lack of QoS classing or bandwidth limiting, especially on a 7Mb line (as is the case with 99% of small, flat SOHO networks with lower-bandwidth WAN links).

Merlin should have fq_codel built in as a qdisc option. Turn it on, fill in your numbers for Mb/s download and upload, then clear out all other QoS classes and limits, and you should be good to go.
Yes it is a bufferbloat problem.

I have tried the fq_codel option and somehow regardless of the settings I use for it, bufferbloat is worse than the sfq option.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest Seems to be the best speed test I have found so far. I am using FreshJR_QOS adaptive qos. I have a 5Mb down/1 Mb up DSL Connection. After playing with the Numbers I have found that 4.9 down and 0.85 up are the best for my DSL connection when it comes to buffer bloat. I rarely have any issues now. I have to Say that this adaptive qos with custom scripts is the best I have seen/used so far.
Thanks, yes I also use DSL reports.

I have tried the fq_codel option and somehow regardless of the settings I use for it, bufferbloat is worse than the sfq option.
For simple, single-layer queuing, fq_codel should normally beat out sfq as long as you've got DSL-level bandwidth or better (and you do). I would try factory resetting, re-installing the latest Merlin version, then reconfig from scratch. If that doesn't help, you may want to consider a different platform for your edge routing/QoS. A $50 UBNT ER-X *will* work, assuming it's setup properly. I've done over 50 of them for clients and when Smart Queue (fq_codel + HTB) is enabled and the unit is properly setup, all but the most complex of issues disappear for small, flat networks. I know a sample size of 50 is still fairly small, but take it as suggestive evidence nonetheless. :)

For simple, single-layer queuing, fq_codel should normally beat out sfq as long as you've got DSL-level bandwidth or better (and you do). I would try factory resetting, re-installing the latest Merlin version, then reconfig from scratch. If that doesn't help, you may want to consider a different platform for your edge routing/QoS. A $50 UBNT ER-X *will* work, assuming it's setup properly. I've done over 50 of them for clients and when Smart Queue (fq_codel + HTB) is enabled and the unit is properly setup, all but the most complex of issues disappear for small, flat networks. I know a sample size of 50 is still fairly small, but take it as suggestive evidence nonetheless. :)

Adaptive QOS works the same way after fixing Asus's configuration pitfalls.

Hi, I'm using Asuswrt Merlin firmware 384.6 on my Asus AC5300.

I'm using the Adaptive QOS with priority set for Gaming (on a Playstation 4) but I discovered that every evening when a few iOS devices in my house is sync-ing their iCloud, I still get very bad lag due to the upload bandwith being taken by the iOS devices.

Under the Adaptive QOS setting page, I have set the upload bandwith to be limited to about 40% of what I'm getting from my ISP (3Mb/s from a max of 7Mb/s) as this gives me the least amount of bufferbloat. On this setting, gaming performance works really well as long as none of the iOS devices are syncing to iCloud. But again, when the devices are syncing to iCloud, I'm getting very bad lag on my gaming.

As a temporary solution, I have manually limit upload bandwith on the iOS devices to 0.5Mb/s each and that does take care of the issue somewhat, but I don't think the Adaptive QOS packet prioritization is being implemented on this mode.

I want to ask if it's possible to have both Adaptive QOS and manual bandwith limiter for each device active.

Thank you

View attachment 14656

Hi hozan, I am a gamer myself and I have Spent countless hours in these forums reading & tweaking my R7800 with Voxels latest FW but could never get better than a C or B (if I was lucky) for buffer bloat.

All other FW installs and set ups were above my pay grade and didn't want to go down that rabbit hole...

I looked into the xr500 nothing but issues as far as I can tell. I never buy 1st gen anything.

I Picked up an IQROUTER and get consistent A's across the board on DSL reports. I now use my supped up R7800 as an AP behind my IQROUTER.

I'm NOT a super user by anymeans.
I have 10-15 wireless devices and I basically use this set up for gaming and Netflix. This router works flawlessly and customer service is top notch. Just set it and forget it..no more headaches, messing with settings and pulling my hair out...

I am not here to debate FW, hardware etc. All I know is this router works as advertised and most importantly it works for what I need it for.

Thanks for reading and good luck with your router issue hozan.

Spectrum, CM600, IQROUTER & R7800 AP.

I will try fq_codel again after reading your post.

Adaptive QOS works the same way after fixing Asus's configuration pitfalls.
Sorry what do you mean exactly ?

Hi hozan, I am a gamer myself and I have Spent countless hours in these forums reading & tweaking my R7800 with Voxels latest FW but could never get better than a C or B (if I was lucky) for buffer bloat.

All other FW installs and set ups were above my pay grade and didn't want to go down that rabbit hole...

I looked into the xr500 nothing but issues as far as I can tell. I never buy 1st gen anything.

I Picked up an IQROUTER and get consistent A's across the board on DSL reports. I now use my supped up R7800 as an AP behind my IQROUTER.

I'm NOT a super user by anymeans.
I have 10-15 wireless devices and I basically use this set up for gaming and Netflix. This router works flawlessly and customer service is top notch. Just set it and forget it..no more headaches, messing with settings and pulling my hair out...

I am not here to debate FW, hardware etc. All I know is this router works as advertised and most importantly it works for what I need it for.

Thanks for reading and good luck with your router issue hozan.

Spectrum, CM600, IQROUTER & R7800 AP.

Just a question, why the IQrouter instead of the more popular Netduma R1?

FreshJR is a bloody genius. Though it involves some manual effort and a steepish learning curve (depending on familiarity with linux, primarily its networking tools and kernel modules), he managed to provide is a way to literally combine adaptive, traditional, and bandwidth limiting methods all into one awesome configurable script.

I can't stress how amazing his work is. I've completely customized his work for my needs, including ceilings for certain prio classes, custom redirections, and even replacing htb with cake in a recent build i compiled.

Asus' stuff on it's own is average at best, but Merlin provides a much more extensive environment, and anything linux-based allows for endless opportunity if you're comfortable with programming. Trial and error is also our friend...

I will try fq_codel again after reading your post.

Sorry what do you mean exactly ?

Just a question, why the IQrouter instead of the more popular Netduma R1?

The R1 dosen't have 5g capability. If my R7800 crapped out I would be forced to use 2.4g no thanks...

The IQROUTER was $50 cheaper than the R1.

I didn't care for the look of the R1 as my routers are out in the open.

And the biggest thing for me was set it and forget it. I don't have to mess around with settings. The router works great out of the box which I was all about!

The R1 dosen't have 5g capability. If my R7800 crapped out I would be forced to use 2.4g no thanks...

The IQROUTER was $50 cheaper than the R1.

I didn't care for the look of the R1 as my routers are out in the open.

And the biggest thing for me was set it and forget it. I don't have to mess around with settings. The router works great out of the box which I was all about!
Thanks, will keep those things in mind.

FreshJR is a bloody genius. Though it involves some manual effort and a steepish learning curve (depending on familiarity with linux, primarily its networking tools and kernel modules), he managed to provide is a way to literally combine adaptive, traditional, and bandwidth limiting methods all into one awesome configurable script.

I can't stress how amazing his work is. I've completely customized his work for my needs, including ceilings for certain prio classes, custom redirections, and even replacing htb with cake in a recent build i compiled.

Asus' stuff on it's own is average at best, but Merlin provides a much more extensive environment, and anything linux-based allows for endless opportunity if you're comfortable with programming. Trial and error is also our friend...
Thank you!

I ended up installing a secondary broadband from a different provider, buying the low bandwith option and using that line exclusively for my gaming. It's $20 a month and it's nice to have redundancy in case the other provider is having issues. The secondary provider is fiber based and from what local users share, ping time to steam is much lower than what I'm getting right now. If things go well my gaming experience should improve quite a bit.