What's new

Question about ASUS routers.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pinkfloyd1173

So I have been having many issues lately with the AC87R, I have tried the netgear 8500, and the linksys EA8500 and both of those gave me issues too.

I like ASUS products my gaming rig is pretty much all ASUS so I would like to to stick to ASUS but as we know all the issues with the AC87R, its getting old.

I live in a 2000 sqf foot home I have TWC inernet 300 down 20 up. I do not use usb drives on the router or any of the fancy features the router has, I am running Mr.Merlins FW 378.54.2. The only feature I use is the QOS since we are a bunch of gamers in the house. At peak hours I have about 15 devices conneccted to the router, 11 wifi and 4 hard wired.

My question is which ASUS router is the most stable and dependable at the moment. I really do not need a AC router but I just wanted to future proof my home network.

What advice can you guys give me, I am getting fed up with this router.

Thanks in advance guys.

P.S

I also have a laptop cooler underneath the router.

So I have been having many issues lately with the AC87R, I have tried the netgear 8500, and the linksys EA8500 and both of those gave me issues too.

I like ASUS products my gaming rig is pretty much all ASUS so I would like to to stick to ASUS but as we know all the issues with the AC87R, its getting old.

I live in a 2000 sqf foot home I have TWC inernet 300 down 20 up. I do not use usb drives on the router or any of the fancy features the router has, I am running Mr.Merlins FW 378.54.2. The only feature I use is the QOS since we are a bunch of gamers in the house. At peak hours I have about 15 devices conneccted to the router, 11 wifi and 4 hard wired.

My question is which ASUS router is the most stable and dependable at the moment. I really do not need a AC router but I just wanted to future proof my home network.

What advice can you guys give me, I am getting fed up with this router.

Thanks in advance guys.

P.S

I also have a laptop cooler underneath the router.

I am using RT-AC68U and it is rock solid for me so far, it has been over a year and no hiccups and yes I also use QOS which is identical to RT-AC87U, except router is not lemon.

I have two of them for my 3600+ sq ft which is five story home and they get job done.

Just out of curiosity what problem you face?

I am using RT-AC68U and it is rock solid for me so far, it has been over a year and no hiccups and yes I also use QOS which is identical to RT-AC87U, except router is not lemon.

I have two of them for my 3600+ sq ft which is five story home and they get job done.

Just out of curiosity what problem you face?

I have constant wifi drops, it reboots on it own for some type of reason.

What FW are you using? Like I said I use the QOS, and what I find funny is if I disable QOS I get 320 down and 24 up and as soon as I enable QOS I get 245 down and 15 to 16 up??? It does not do this with the ASUS stock FW it only does this with merlins FW??

I bought mine at bestbuy and this is the 4th ac87r that I have had, I have no issues returning it since I bought the 2 year replacement plan.

Are you using merlins FW and if so are you getting the right speeds when you take a speed test.

I have constant wifi drops, it reboots on it own for some type of reason.

What FW are you using? Like I said I use the QOS, and what I find funny is if I disable QOS I get 320 down and 24 up and as soon as I enable QOS I get 245 down and 15 to 16 up??? I does not do this with the ASUS stock FW it only does this with merlins FW??

I bought mine at bestbuy and this is the 4th ac87r that I have had, I have no issues returning it since I bought the 2 year replacement plan.

Are you using merlins FW and if so are you get the right speeds when you take a speed test.

I am using RT-AC68U x2 and yes even with QOS activated, I get speed which I subscribe for or one I set in Router.

As for Firmware Merlin:378.55_beta2 on both router, one working access point mode

Does drop occur on 5GHZ?

I am using RT-AC68U x2 and yes even with QOS activated, I get speed which I subscribe for or one I set in Router.

As for Firmware Merlin:378.55_beta2 on both router, One working Access point mode

Does drop occur on 5GHZ?

Yes 5GHZ drops all the time.

Just as I expected, did you disable beamforming and how about 2.4 GHZ stability

Yes disabled BF, 2.4 is up and down at times but more constant then the 5ghz band. I also have changed channels using a wifi analyzer. I have read all the tips on these forums and still having issues.

It worked great for the first 2 days and then it just started to have issues??

I find it hard to believe that I have gotten 4 ac87r lemons, I mean what are the odds??? It could just be that this router is just complete garbage and they keep tying to fix the damm thing with all these beta FW, I wont even try the beta FW's, what for in my opinion, if the last on e did not fix it what makes you think this one will.

They break more then they fix with these FW's.

Yes disabled BF, 2.4 is up and down at times but more constant then the 5ghz band. I also have changed channels using a wifi analyzer. I have read all the tips on these forums and still having issues.

It worked great for the first 2 days and then it just started to have issues??

Oh I see, yeah that is definitely messes up situation you are dealing with. Anyways I can think of two things you can try either do factory reset and reconfigure from scratch or just return it and buy RT-AC68U or R like I have and frankly I am happy camper, I have connected up to 35 devices couple of times it works a treat

Just a note in some firmware upgrades, factory reset was required after updating. Did you did it? If not I will try that first reset router.

Else you can always return it.

Oh I see, yeah that is definitely messes up situation you are dealing with. Anyways I can think of two things you can try either do factory reset and reconfigure from scratch or just return it and buy RT-AC68U or R like I have and frankly I am happy camper, I have connected up to 35 devices couple of times it works a treat

Just a note in some firmware upgrades, factory reset was required after updating. Did you did it? If not I will try that first reset router.

Else you can always return it.

Hawk I have done everything you have mentioned multiple times and it is still like this, I think I am going to go try that router out.

It could be your clients. Are the disconnect problems the same with all three routers? Do you see some devices disconnect more often than others?

The AC87 uses Quantenna's 5 GHz radio. It is reported to have more compatibility problems than Broadcom-based routers like the RT-AC68.

It could be your clients. Are the disconnect problems the same with all three routers? Do you see some devices disconnect more often than others?

The AC87 uses Quantenna's 5 GHz radio. It is reported to have more compatibility problems than Broadcom-based routers like the RT-AC68.

Same issues with all 3 routers, its weird. The netgear 8500 was very stable but I really do not like netgear products, did not like its outdated gui plus it seemed like many people are having issues with that router too.

Yeah, that is why I suggested go with one Broadcom option, I personally have two and so far so good

Yeah, that is why I suggested go with one Broadcom option, I personally have two and so far so good

Think I am going to go to BestBuy and pick one of those up!

Hey Hawk so the merlin beta is working good for you. Do I need to install any older fw's on this router or can I just install the merlin fw right out the box?

Hey Hawk so the merlin beta is working good for you. Do I need to install any older fw's on this router or can I just install the merlin fw right out the box?

Just flash directly over old one, make sure to do factory reset after you flash merlin firmware but before you start configuring router.

OK cool thanks for your advice guys, wish me luck on this one.

So I just have finished setting up this new RT-AC68P. I installed merlins FW 378.55 beta2. Did a hard reset after I installed merlins FW. I enabled QOS and dialed in my speeds, 300 down 20.

This is what I find funny, this is my speed test with QOS enabled.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4510754853.png
4510754853.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I will the speed test result with QOS diabled, since I have to pretty much reboot the router for that to happen.

So here is the pic of my speedtest without QOS enabled.

4510772821.png
[/URL][/IMG]

So I am wondering why do I take a big hit on my download speed when I enable QOS?

Does anyone else have this issue, maybe Mr. Merlin can give an explanation on why with his FW this always happenes?

On the ac87R if I went with stock FW, if I enabled or disabled QOS I would get the same speedtest results?

Any explanation on this guys?

Thanks for the help guys?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!