What's new

Question about QOS and multiple Zoom sessions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lee MacMillan

I have a 66U_B1 running the latest Asus firmware and a nominal 100 down/5 up Comcast connection (my d/l speed is typically about 115 Mbps). Next month, my son's family of 4 will be visiting for a couple weeks. Both adults are working from home and the two grandkids (kindergarten and 2nd grade) are doing school online. My son thinks I'll need more bandwidth. Looking at the Zoom site leads me to believe it will be OK. If anything, the upload speed seems likely to be the bottleneck rather than the download. I have not used the QOS function so I'm wondering if there's something there that could help. Our main internet usage is email and web surfing so unless I'm watching Youtube (which I can certainly avoid during school/work hours) I don't think my wife or I would be hogging too much bandwidth. Would appreciate any suggestions or confirmation that my connection would be adequate for 4 simultaneous Zoom sessions Attached is a speedtest result with San Francisco server (where they would be connecting).
Speedtest 11-12-20 with San Fran server.JPG

Your son is correct. You need more bandwidth (upload, mostly).

Call Comcast and ask to test their highest package for a month (they may even give you a discount for the trial). At least you know you'll be covered for the two weeks for 6 people's needs.

Zoom is pretty good at adjusting to available bandwidth. You have enough bandwidth for everything except if all four people are on Zooms with video and have their cameras on at the same time. If that's really important you probably need better upload speed. Ask the adults how often they have their cameras on and how important that is to their work. Maybe they could do their video Zooming using their (hopefully work-provided) 4G phones without your Wifi, which ought to work pretty nicely, and the little kids can probably survive if their own video is a little pixelated. Then you don't need to upgrade.

Regarding the Asus QoS - you could probably give priority to Zoom over, say, youtube but you could just as easily not watch youtube while they're working :) and you could give priority to the parents over the kids but that will be a lot of work, you'll have to figure out all their MAC addresses and you'll need to experiment a lot and probably make things worse. I don't recommend it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!