What's new

R7800: LAN Bottleneck when testing 160MHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Theone23

New Around Here
Hi,
I saw that the R7800 supports 160MHz, it means that when using 2X2 NIC, i should be able to get 1.7Gbps link speed and >1Gbps actual throughput. The thing is that the R7800 ethernet port is limited by 1Gbps, it means that basically ethernet will always be the bottle neck. Is that true? How can I achieve above 1 Gbps throughput with the R7800?
will connecting 2 LAN port to my PC will solve the issue? (assuming 1Gbps LAN is per port and not the total for all)

Last edited:
Hi,
I saw that the R7800 supports 160MHz, it means that when using 2X2 NIC, i should be able to get 1.7Gbps link speed and >1Gbps actual throughput. The thing is that the R7800 ethernet port is limited by 1Gbps, it means that basically ethernet will always be the bottle neck. Is that true? How can I achieve above 1 Gbps throughput with the R7800?
will connecting 2 LAN port to my PC will solve the issue? (assuming 1Gbps LAN is per port and not the total for all)

You are also confusing NIC (Network Interface Card (10/100/1000Mbps) with your client wireless adapter (802.11.a/b/g/n/ac). This 160MHZ will be good, only, device to device in your home, best case. And, at a short distance from router and device.

And, as also mentioned, all wireless speed is theoretical. Unlike an Ethernet cable.

PHY Rate (which can be quite high) as compared to network rates, which are sometimes quite a bit lower...

I saw that the R7800 supports 160MHz, it means that when using 2X2 NIC

Who is selling a 160MHz NIC - I haven't see anyone with product on the shelves yet... the only way possible at the moment is from one R7800 to another R7800 in bridged mode...

when using 2X2 NIC

you are limited to 2 spectral and 40mhz streams no matter what it connects to , the limit is the adapter and if its wireless AC its still limited to the 867M
The thing is that the R7800 ethernet port is limited by 1Gbps, it means that basically ethernet will always be the bottle neck. Is that true?

for devices the can do over its 1 gig speed atm im seeing 110MB/s with a 3 x 3 1300M asus pvce-ac68 so yes we have reached the limits of therouter and ethernet throughput rather than the limits of the wifi but it wontt be long till we get 10 gig ethernet and the chase will go on as it always has eg 1 tech pushes another tech to advance

How can I achieve above 1 Gbps throughput with the R7800?
will connecting 2 LAN port to my PC will solve the issue?

nope as the 2 ethernet ports are not link aggregated

(assuming 1Gbps LAN is per port and not the total for all

this still however wont make your internet any faster as its limited by its single wan ethernet port and the router capability

The only way you will see more than 1Gbps with 1Gbe PHYs is probably for local file shares if you have a 3x3 or more wireless adapter in your PC that connects at 1.3Gbps+ to your wireless router and you use two of your wireless routers Ethernet ports to connect to your network and then you use SMB 3.0 multi channel

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!