What's new

R7800 - no longer possible to filter (only) wireless devices by MAC address?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nitro322

New Around Here
As mentioned in another thread, I just switched back to "stock" R7800 firmware after using DD-WRT for a while. I'm actually using Voxel's mod, 1.0.2.45SF, but for this particular issue I'd assume his firmware follows upstream. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I like to setup a whitelist for wireless devices connecting to the non-guest network. Been trying to figure out how to do that on the current firmware and have largely failed. It looks like instead of giving you the option to filter wireless devices, Netgear now gives you the option to filter all devices:

https://kb.netgear.com/23289/How-do...router-using-the-NETGEAR-genie-user-interface

OK, so more options seems like a good thing, except not so much here. The choices seem to be limited to "allow everything except the following" or "block everything except the following", with no distinction between wired and wireless devices. So, if I want to whitelist devices now, I need to whitelist everything, including all of my wired devices. Given the relative crap ton of wired devices on my network, that's not really practical.

Am I maybe misunderstanding those options? Anyone know a way to still filter wireless devices without also blocking wired devices? I'd appreciate any feedback here.

Thanks.

No Way. It basically allow list of mac devices and block when not in whitelist.

Wired devices can be allowed in app now. So best bet is only way to block and allow manually.

Thanks for confirming. Also, fun fact - it also no longer distinguished between guest and non-guest traffic, so if this is enabled in whitelist mode then even devices connecting to your guest network will be blocked until they're permitted. This feature, to me at least, is utterly unusable now.

I'd guess it wouldn't be an easy change, but maybe voxel can revert back to the old behavior in his custom firmware. I'll ask about it - probably depends on how many people really care about this. Given I couldn't find any other discussions on this particular topic, I'd guess probably not too many, unfortunately.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!