What's new

R7800 Streamboost updates.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Killhippie

I just noticed my latest update is still March 2016 on my R7800, that's almost 5 months ago Is this a Qualcomm or a Netgear issue?

Ah that i did not know, I thought that was built into the software.
I looked for that on Netgrear home page without luck.
How did you update that same way as the FW?

I just noticed my latest update is still March 2016 on my R7800, that's almost 5 months ago Is this a Qualcomm or a Netgear issue?

It is a Netgear thing (just see this thread I posted from Feb 2016). Sadly Netgear does not stay on top of their Dynamic QoS database updates like other OEM's do that use Qualcomm's Streamboost tech (ie- Zyxel, TrendNET, D-link, etc). Netgear is even worse when it comes to the Broadcom iQoS database file used on the R8000 & R8500. Those are still over a year old.

Routers from other OEM's that use Streamboost get at least a quarterly database file update for up to 2 years after the router model stops being sold. I have never been able to get confirmation from Netgear if this was the case with them as well. As far as I am aware those are part of the terms Qualcomm has for OEM's when they use Streamboost tech in their products.

Ah that i did not know, I thought that was built into the software.
I looked for that on Netgrear home page without luck.
How did you update that same way as the FW?
Updates are automatic in the background with streamboost turned on :) Well they should be.

It is a Netgear thing (just see this thread I posted from Feb 2016). Sadly Netgear does not stay on top of their Dynamic QoS database updates like other OEM's do that use Qualcomm's Streamboost tech (ie- Zyxel, TrendNET, D-link, etc). Netgear is even worse when it comes to the Broadcom iQoS database file used on the R8000 & R8500. Those are still over a year old.

Routers from other OEM's that use Streamboost get at least a quarterly database file update for up to 2 years after the router model stops being sold. I have never been able to get confirmation from Netgear if this was the case with them as well. As far as I am aware those are part of the terms Qualcomm has for OEM's when they use Streamboost tech in their products.
Thanks for your help, and sadly I'm not surprised. I've contacted @NETGEAR Guy to see whats going on. Thanks for your link and information. Maybe we will get an update on the 1st of August. I'm not holding my breath but it would be nice if it continued to work as you have stated.

Updates are automatic in the background with streamboost turned on :) Well they should be.

R8000 and R8500 are not using Streamboost QoS solution. Both models require a FW upgrade to support new applications so NetgearGuy said

R8000 and R8500 are not using Streamboost QoS solution. Both models require a FW upgrade to support new applications so NetgearGuy said
Those routers are not using Qualcomm chipsets the Qualcomm SoC in the R7500, 7500v2 and R7800 use Streamboost, its built into the hardware. The R8000 and R8500 are Broadcom based units with a different QoS thats not as advanced as Streamboost I would say. Qualcomm's QoS does not need a firmware update to download new updates as the system is cloud based and as Streamboost learns about new applications from the routers (all makes that use Streamboost) and uploads it to so it can have the latest rules and latest applications and hardware added to its database. These updates are then downloaded in the background to the routers.

Is that in all modes or just Router mode?
I think just in router mode, but since I don't use the router in AP mode I cant confirm. Since the router probably has to be in routing mode to apply the rules (guessing) I cant really say.

Those routers are not using Qualcomm chipsets the Qualcomm SoC in the R7500, 7500v2 and R7800 use Streamboost, its built into the hardware. The R8000 and R8500 are Broadcom based units with a different QoS thats not as advanced as Streamboost I would say.....

@Killhippie: Streamboost is not built into the QCA hardware, but a software solution integrated into an OEM's firmware.

As for the R8000 & R8500; I am aware they are BCM based units that do not have the development behind the Dymanic QoS (iQoS for the BCM units) used in them as they QCA Streamboost engine has.

I was only pointing out in my prior post that Netgear has even older Dynamic QoS database files running on those models as well and how they are not on top (many) things, including keeping both platform Dynamic QoS engines up-to-date for their customers.

@Killhippie: Streamboost is not built into the QCA hardware, but a software solution integrated into an OEM's firmware.

As for the R8000 & R8500; I am aware they are BCM based units that do not have the development behind the Dymanic QoS (iQoS for the BCM units) used in them as they QCA Streamboost engine has.

I was only pointing out in my prior post that Netgear has even older Dynamic QoS database files running on those models as well and how they are not on top (many) things, including keeping both platform Dynamic QoS engines up-to-date for their customers.
Fair enough, I was wrong and its good to have that pointed out, but you cant have Streamboost without Qualcomm. So it may be a software solution but it wont work without Qulacomm hardware, so surely that's a moot point. :)

I do a manual "update now" check weekly on the Dynamic QoS database file on my R7800. The last check I did was on Sunday when I first replied to this thread. At that time, it was using a March 2015 dated database. I just did another check and the database updated to version 3.0607.cloud-g0 with a date of June 7, 2016.

I do a manual "update now" check weekly on the Dynamic QoS database file on my R7800. The last check I did was on Sunday when I first replied to this thread. At that time, it was using a March 2015 dated database. I just did another check and the database updated to version 3.0607.cloud-g0 with a date of June 7, 2016.
Thanks I'll check mine. Most appreciated.

Thanks I'll check mine. Most appreciated.
All updated, alas I have noticed there are still some GUI bugs and issues with QoS which I have passed back to Netgear Guy. I could not change my Fire TV from 'media device' to 'Other STB" without resetting my whole router, also it gets confused on iPhone and iPad Priority (iPad higher than iPhone) If you then put iPad on other it will recognise it correctly. Alas still no category for wireless speakers either. Netgears Streamboost GUI is not great I have to say, it feels slow and clunky considering the routers ram and CPU speed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!