What's new

r7800 with AC 9260 and HT160 Inconsistent Link Speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Restalfep

Occasional Visitor
Whenever I connect to my 5G network from my PC, it shows link speed correctly as the maximum data rate (1,733 for the HT160) but only for less than 30 seconds then starts to go all over the place, is that normal? For example, it drops to 800 then 450 then 200, then 180, then 500, and up and down. This happened with both my old intel 82XX version wifi PCI-E card and this new intel 9260 PCI-E card.

The reason I ask is I first noticed this when I was trying to see if HT160 would work since it is supported by intel 9260. I tried every channel, lower numbers 36-48, higher numbers (with no HT160) and this always happens though.

My PC is located one room away from my router so not far. Is the link speed so the network supposed to always show the maximum it can do (i.e. 866 or 1733) or is it supposed to fluctuate like this? Thanks

P.S actual speed tests on speedtest.net etc come back pretty good.

I get a fairly stable 1.3-1.7 Gbps link (9260ac) rate with real world transfer speeds of 800-930 MBps even one floor down but it can drop lower depending on certain locations.

Also realize that HT160 is more prone to interference and has lower range at those speeds especially if you have a few 5Ghz APs nearby.
It will drop to HT80 if something like a weather radar is detected because HT160 also use DFS channels. Another thing is that 5Ghz in general has lower penetration that 2.4 GHz so depending on type of walls/flooring (wood/cement) it can make a huge difference. Lastly some laptops have better antenna layouts than others.

If the connection is good and configuration is good. I presume it should not fluxuate.
What is the distance from the router to the PC?
Ensure drivers for the wireless adapter card are up to date?
Is 802.11k enabled under routerIp\debug.htm?

Very strange. It's a brand new Desktop PC, updated all the drivers. It's a PCI-E intel 9260 card but even the 8 version did same thing (except without the HT160 part obviously). The distance from router to PC is probably around 25 feet (1 wall in between since room over).

The "Enable 11k" is on right now under debug.htm, should I turn it off?

So after further testing, it seems like as soon as I step outside the room that the router is in, the link speed drops. Surprised since it's not that far at all. I tested on a laptop, next to my Desktop it fluctuates around 250 - 450 mbps, but the second I step into the room the router is in, it goes up to 866 (max for that laptop). We are taking 5-7 feet difference, is that normal?

Try it disabled. You can enable it if nothing changes.

Whats the walls and building materials made of?
Any other wifi devices near by, neighbors or any other electronics?

Seems that you also impact whats happening when you phsyically in the room then leave. Strange. 5Ghz is effected by building materials and such due to such high frequency, whoever should not be like this.

Can you test the Laptop near the router, say with in 6 or 12 feet?

The laptop gets 866 link speed (max for that since not ht160 device), when within the same room basically, and almost right away when within 6-12 feet of router.

I tried with 11k off and was the same, so just turned it back on. I also tried using a DFS channel since recommended by insidder to see if somehow helps randomly (which it may have slightly, but not by much). Right now desktop is going back and forth between 325 mbps and 702 mbps, shot up to 936 mbps for a 3 seconds then back to 702 mbps. It's almost the same numbers on the dot between what it switches between.

Also, is it normal that even the laptop fluctuates around the same numbers (i.e. right now it is also at 702 exactly and so is the desktop). Then laptop dropped to 86 and pc to 325 so different now.

Regarding your other question on building materials (not exactly sure but seems standard), house about 20 years old, drywall, wood frame, etc. Also, I do have wifi devices near the router since that's the only area where electronics fit nicely for that room and unfortunately the only cable outlet is right there. But even with those devices off, nothing changes.

Last edited:
So the LT doesn't fluctuate like it did farther away?
Disable 160Mhz and see if you notice fluctuation.

What happens if you try to turn down the Power output of the radio, from 100% to say 75 or 50%. Put back to 100% if nothing changes.

The LT doesn't fluctuate when within that 6-12 feet or so, stays at max it seems. I tried with the "Transmit Power Control" down to 50% and 75% for both 2.4 and 5g, no difference. I also turned off beamforming and MU incase for some strange reason, no difference there either.

I actually posted something similar in the most recent Voxel firmware thread, although my problem isn't as severe as yours. I'm using an Intel 9260 in a Dell Inspiron 15 7568 laptop connected to an R7800 with HT160.

My "connected data rate" listed with inSSIDer will bounce between 650-1560 Mbps a few rooms away from the router (usually settling at 1300 Mbps), but will max at 1733 Mbps with line of sight. With HT160 off, I'll get a rock solid 866 Mbps. Also drops 4-5 dBm on the signal with HT160 enabled.

I'm guessing this is just the nature of the beast when enabling HT160, at least to some degree? Haven't tried the latest official firmware 1.0.2.62, which promises to "Improve the stability of the wireless 5G interface". Maybe give that a shot?

I actually am on the official firmware .62 now and it’s exact same in this regard (although overall much better than netgears past firmware in other aspects). Strange that just one room away and I’m having it drop this much if you’re seemingly getting much better even further away. I have no idea what could be causing it. Very strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possible that as mentioned, building materials, high frequency and HT being effected is what is causing this fluctuation. Probably nature of the beast. :oops:

Possible that as mentioned, building materials, high frequency and HT being effected is what is causing this fluctuation. Probably nature of the beast. :oops:

Seems like it must be unfortunately. Does leaving HT160 on hurt overall wifi performance for any reason? For example, if I'm only reaching 936 mbps at max where I have the intel 9260 desktop and usually its 702 or lower, and no where else in the house has HT160 devices, should I disable it on the router or doesn't matter?

If the PC isn't achieving anything near it's maximum with 160 enabled, i would disable it. I'd rather have more stable 80Mhz signal than flucutating 160.
Seems like it must be unfortunately. Does leaving HT160 on hurt overall wifi performance for any reason? For example, if I'm only reaching 936 mbps at max where I have the intel 9260 desktop and usually its 702 or lower, and no where else in the house has HT160 devices, should I disable it on the router or doesn't matter?

So it definitely ended up being some sort of interference. I finally got cat6 installed through my house, moved the router slightly closer but high up and now it's always 1.7gbs. This is probably a stupid question, but if 1.7gbs wifi, and assuming r7800 is max 1gbs wired, is there any reason to leave the Desktop PC at wifi for the 1.7gbs or would wired still typically be better due to stability? I use the computer for a combination of work (browsing, etc), as well as Game Stream (streaming a PC game to my TV for example over the network) to other devices in the house.

If you want consistency - you probably want VHT80...

VHT160 has two modes - 160 or 80+80, and both have additional challenges that VHT80 does not have. It's the same story with other 802.11ac Wave 2 features like MU-MIMO...

If you want consistency - you probably want VHT80...

VHT160 has two modes - 160 or 80+80, and both have additional challenges that VHT80 does not have. It's the same story with other 802.11ac Wave 2 features like MU-MIMO...

Oh really, so you recommend actually disabling HT-160 and MU-MIMO features even if supported?

Oh really, so you recommend actually disabling HT-160 and MU-MIMO features even if supported?

I say give it a try - if it works - cool...

If it doesn't - turn them off, and still cool...

Both of those features are like looking for nickels in the parking lot as most clients don't support them...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!