What's new

RC-AC66R Slow Wired and Worse Wifi Speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Erik Cave

New Around Here
In short, my RC-AC66R is only giving me on average 80 Mbps of my 150 Mbps connection when wired. My connection only averages 40 Mbps and often slows to below 5 Mbps.

Longer Description:
I have had this router for about three months and it has worked very well. I don't remember testing the speeds at that point because everything was working well. A few weeks ago I got a notice from Comcast that my speed has been increased from 100 to 150 Mbps. After restarting my modem I started testing speeds and noticed some issues:

1. When wired I was only getting about 80 Mbps. I connected directly to my modem and got over 150 Mbps consistently. These speeds are consistent. Testing this morning I get those same speeds.

2. My Wifi speed is even lower. Maybe this is normal, but the highest speed I can get directly next to my router via Wifi is 60 Mbps. It averages about 40 Mbps upstairs. This is when things are "normal."

3. At times my Wifi speed drops to be below 5 Mbps. I haven't thoroughly tested times of day and such, but have noticed this several times in the evening while trying to play our upstairs Xbox. Lag and being dropped from games led to testing in those moments to find very slow speeds even with my laptop right next to the router. Sometimes it would be better on either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz.

Here is what I have done to address this issue with no help so far:
  • Checked that I have latest firmware.
  • Relocated the router
  • Turned off QOS
  • Set Control Channel to 40 and Channel bandwidth to 80 MHz on on 5GHz
  • Restarted modem and router repeatedly
I appreciate any advice or help

First change the cable between the modem and router. Cat 5e cable recommended. Make sure it has no kinks or sharp bends.
5 Ghz set to upper channel (153) 20-40-80 Mhz
2.4 Ghz set to fixed channel 1, 6 or 11. 20 Mhz

You may want to set to factory defaults first and configure just your user and SSIDs.
Turn off Airtime Fairness for 2.4 and 5. Turn off WPS.
Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

First change the cable between the modem and router. Cat 5e cable recommended. Make sure it has no kinks or sharp bends.

You may want to set to factory defaults first and configure just your user and SSIDs.

Thanks, I will try these ideas and report back

The LAN wired is fixed! I feed dumb because it was the cord.

Things are much better. I feel dumb because I was using a bad cord. After switching to a good one my LAN speed jumped up to where it should be.

I was still experiencing slower than expected speeds on Wifi, except for on my Xbox, so I reset the router, which didn't help. I think this had to do with the fact that I was using the Google speed test. On my xbox I was using an app by Ookla, the speedtest.net people. Once I tried using the speedtest.net test I saw good results. It is weird because Google says I am getting 5Mbps where speedtest.net says 120 Mbps.

I was getting tripped up by those Google Speed Test numbers. I don't know why they are so slow.

Try the dslreports speed test. To improve bufferbloat turn on QOS. Do manual settings with the values 10 to 20 percent less than your rated speed.

Hmm, I enabled QoS and now my Wifi speed is low. I get 19 Mpbs on speedtest.net and 34 Mbps on DSL Reports. I turned off QoS and the speed did not increase. Just before turning on QoS I had tested and got about 100 Mbps, similar to what I was getting last night.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online