What's new

Recommendations for 5Ghz bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

leagle

New Around Here
I just bought a WNDR3700 to upgrade my wireless network. I have two primary goals:

1. Get my one HTPC (actually, it is a SageTv extender) that is connected via wireless bridge (due to its location) out of the 2.4GHz band because of microwave interference; and

2. Move to 802.11n to increase bandwidth to handle additional wireless HTPCs (or extenders).

Currently, I have one HTPC (extender) and Xbox 360 connected to a WRT54GL. The WRT54GL connects to my primary wireless router via bridge mode. I prefer to use a bridge instead of buying separate wireless adapters for the Xbox and HTPC. I'd appreciate any recommendations of wireless routers that I can use as a bridge to connect via 802.11n in the 5GHz range. DD-WRT compatibility is a big plus. Gigabit switched ports also a plus, but not that important.

Due to its location, running cat 5e/6 is not workable right now. Plus, 802.11g has had no problems keeping up with streaming live hd tv and movies to the one extender. Upgrading to 802.11n should give me enough bandwidth to add another extender without negatively affecting performance.

I could just buy another WNDR3700, but I am looking for a less expensive option.

Currently considering:
Linksys E2000
Linksys WRT400N

Thanks.

I have used and like much the Engenius outdoor bridge. Indoor bridge probably same guts, different antenna, power supply.

Re the WNDR3700: Most consumer WiFi routers have no bridge mode.

Sage TV extender: I have three standard def (not HD) extenders. Hauppauge MVPs, wired. These used to connect via WiFi bridges. Got tired of interference and need to power-cycle several times a month despite ideal signals. So now I use MoCA and it's great.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the reply. Some responses below.

I have used and like much the Engenius outdoor bridge. Indoor bridge probably same guts, different antenna, power supply.
I appreciate the recommendation. Looking just at Newegg, it seems like only the EOC5611P has a 5GHz radio and it is out of stock. Unfortunately, it also has some bad reviews (FWIW).

Re the WNDR3700: Most consumer WiFi routers have no bridge mode.
That's where DD-WRT comes in. As long as the router can be reflashed with third party firmware, I can enable bridge mode.

Sage TV extender: I have three standard def (not HD) extenders. Hauppauge MVPs, wired. These used to connect via WiFi bridges. Got tired of interference and need to power-cycle several times a month despite ideal signals. So now I use MoCA and it's great.

So far, the only interference I get is when the microwave is running. Since microwaves run in the 2.4GHZ range, I think I'll be able to avoid it entirely once I move to 5GHz. Really, that is what prompted this entire exercise--the need to get out of the 2.4GHz range. My WRT54GL flashed with Tomato firmware has been flawless as a wireless bridge for my Sage extender and Xbox the rest of the time.

MOCA is an interesting alternative, but the person who wired my house with coax ran it from outside the house into each room (as compared to running it in the walls. I can't stand the way it looks and I'm looking forward to pulling it out and patching all the holes. Since all of our TVs are run through a SageTV server, all live and recorded TV is distributed via my home network. If I could drop some cat 5e behind this particular tv, my problems would be solved. But, it is in an awkward place and will require me to cut a bunch of access panels or something else that my wife will like even less.